The Wrestling Thread

Mo Wonderboy

1 hour ago, TheGoon said:

If Miz cashes in after that match though... 

Aye that would still have been for the belt if he cashed in on Orton. 

Orton had to win that time really. I knew as soon as they announced the Survivor Series thing as well. No way they are doing Roman vs Drew the now. 

A fairly solid show, if nothing spectacular.  Reigns/Uso was another good pure story match, but the cell was utterly pointless when you're just going to use it like bumpers at the bowling.  Matches like that really show how pointless the mandated Hell in a Cell season is.  That would've stood just as well on its own as an I Quit match rather than putting the cell around it.  Still though, good stuff from both, and it's great to see Reigns (well, just great to see that handsome fucker) really settling into a role he's good at, rather than trying to shoehorn him into what they want.  Compare the guy Cena spent 10 minutes eviscerating on the mic to the guy stalking around the ring, it's night and day.

Main event was quite meh for me.  Probably the right time for Orton to win it, shame Drew had to lose it, particularly as his entire reign has come at a time where it feels like nothing really matters.  I think they'll go with a super face to go up against Reigns for the Rumble winner, but wouldn't be against Drew winning it again if they can be absolutely sure that WM will be in front of a crowd.

Match of the night is obviously the women's cell match.  There's just something visceral about Sasha Banks going in there and genuinely trying to end her life.  Both of them trying to make unique spots really shone through on a night where the other two cell matches where a bit paint-by-numbers.  

The other matches, I quite like where they're going with Otis.  Stupid idea to give him the briefcase in the first place, so makes sense to have him lose it (although I'm not sure Miz is that good a choice at this stage - feud with Orton or Reigns?  Nah...) and Tucker goes from someone you couldn't give less of a shit about to at least something in the space of one promo.  It's not exactly feud of the year, but it's something.  And Retribution?  Just....just...why?  

I heard mention of them maybe building up Big E now they've "split up" the New Day.  Doubt it would ever go as big as Daniel Bryan did for 30, but they could easily build a story like his/Kofi's leading up to him beating Reigns.  He deserves something big at least.

I expect they'll be at least partially holding out hope for Reigns/Rock.  There's barely a snowball's chance of it happening, but it would be either a terrific end to the story, or basically the making of Reigns. 

Big E has charisma in spades, comes across as a genuinely likeable and larger than life character and has always struck the right balanced tone for a massive corporation trying to grapple with a shifting consensus in the wider world so it should be a no-brainer to strap a rocket on him in a post-George Floyd world but it is the Fed so...

44 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

Big E has charisma in spades, comes across as a genuinely likeable and larger than life character and has always struck the right balanced tone for a massive corporation trying to grapple with a shifting consensus in the wider world so it should be a no-brainer to strap a rocket on him in a post-George Floyd world but it is the Fed so...

Big E is great. They should have pushed him as a singles guy years ago. Could easily have still done so whilst he was a part of the New Day as well.