The Wrestling Thread

Mo Wonderboy

On 26/07/2020 at 12:55, John Lambies Doos said:

Late 80s/early 90s WWF then late 90s (wcw) early 2000s (WWF attitude era), were the wrestling glory days. Stuff served up just now is brute awful. Unfortunately end of professional wrestling is nigh, and McMahon only himself to blame. Utter shite.

The in ring stuff during the Attitude era was more often than not utterly rotten. Punch, kick, punch, kick, clothesline, finisher and repeat. The guys then were just so over. Even Kaientai were over.

5 minutes ago, Comrie said:

The in ring stuff during the Attitude era was more often than not utterly rotten. Punch, kick, punch, kick, clothesline, finisher and repeat. The guys then were just so over. Even Kaientai were over.

There has to be a balance. Someone can be a shit-hot wrestler but if they're not over who gives a f**k? For me, in any era of wrestling, the storyline and how the characters interact is way more important than their in-ring offensive arsenal. 

11 minutes ago, Stellaboz said:

There has to be a balance. Someone can be a shit-hot wrestler but if they're not over who gives a f**k? For me, in any era of wrestling, the storyline and how the characters interact is way more important than their in-ring offensive arsenal. 

100%

The characters in the attitude era were way above the majority of what the WWE gives you nowadays. Even if they get a compelling wrestler you want to watch (Rusev for one) they then go and book them to oblivion.

"Hey, how about an endless cuckold feud, it'll print money!"

2 hours ago, Comrie said:

Taka certainly got over* in the 2000 Rumble.

*Over the top rope, obviously

1 hour ago, Mark Connolly said:

Taka certainly got over* in the 2000 Rumble.

*Over the top rope, obviously

I remember King demanding repeated replays of it.

Not normally a fan of Jim Cornette but I just watched a video from years ago that really got me realising this guy actually knew so much more than I ever gave him credit for. He ranted about the “big guy” always being pushed leaving the work horses and smaller guys left fighting for scraps and it got me thinking just how many wrestlers were wasted over the years just because they weren’t a huge muscled up 6ft plus guy. 

One particular rant from the guy was about Halloween Havoc 1997. Looking at the absolute pish on that card (Hogan v Piper steel cage main event, Randy Savage, Lex Luger and Scott Hall to name a few). All these guys washed up and still on ridiculous money. But all fitted the mould of the heavyweight wrestler. 

Although knowing what we do now though back then one little bout on that card was Misterio v Guerrero in a mask v title match. You watch stuff like that and can see even back then the talent just waiting for that push and that match even though over 20 years old is an absolute cracking spectacle. 

If you can get past Cornette's sound bites that court drama he generally talks a lot of sense. He veers too much into shock jock territory at times, but the point he's conveying is generally sound.

Jim Ross and Bruce Prichard have described him as being the Southern Paul Heyman in thag theyre pretty much the exact same person with just different philosophies.

Posted this in the ICW thread by mistake but anyone else find that Adam Blampied a punchable wee dick? 

I vaguely remember him being accused of being a creep before I knew who he was but I've been watching some Whatculture, Wrestletalk & Cultaholic and it's some effort trying to find people you can actually tolerate. 

Other than Simon Miller. He's great.