The Wrestling Thread

Mo Wonderboy

Just now, Speroni*1 said:

I was watching some WhatCulture/Cultaholic/some other random wrestling youtube video the other day and they were on about how Vince McMahon was considering Monday Night WCW and Smackdown being the two entities with Shane legitmately running WCW (With Vince's help).

A terrible Buff Bagwell vs Booker T match apparently put the kibosh to that .(And a host of other reasons undoubtedly)

Whilst I don't think that'd necessarily have worked, I do think it's criminal that Raw and Smackdown have never felt like separate entities even during the brand split. Yeah, there have been subtle differences at times but largely just a continuation of the same style of show.

NXT has proven that certain fans tune into different styles of wrestling products. I know the PG debate is largely pointless if there is no good storylines, but Vince has proven he can deliver variety in his time, I just wish he made a full fledged effort to differentiate the shows rather than his half arsed attempts. Aim Smackdown for a completely different audience would've been a big risk but at a time when there was zero competition, this could've changed the face of the wrestling landscape. Aim one show for wrestling purists (NXT), another for kids and merchandise buyers (Smackdown) and the other for the 'drama' lovers (Raw). It'd never catch on though. Sorry for the ramble!

IIRC the Bagwell-Booker match was the main event on Raw, in a town that WCW had only ever been to about twice, and was a massive WWE town. Had they done it the following week instead, when they were due to be in Atlanta, it might have been different.

Almost as if someone planned it to be shite...

WWE actually did a reasonable article on it on their own website - https://www.wwe.com/classics/raw-is-wcw-the-most-awkward-match-ever

58 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

IIRC the Bagwell-Booker match was the main event on Raw, in a town that WCW had only ever been to about twice, and was a massive WWE town. Had they done it the following week instead, when they were due to be in Atlanta, it might have been different.

Almost as if someone planned it to be shite...

WWE actually did a reasonable article on it on their own website - https://www.wwe.com/classics/raw-is-wcw-the-most-awkward-match-ever

I never bought that a single match was the reason they cancelled it all. Like you mention, it seems very much like it was planned to fail (Buff fucking Bagwell?!). Plus WWF had conditioned fans for years to think of anything WCW related as absolutely shite and not worth any time.

Going back to Speroni's point about shows being different, I think for the first couple of years of the brand split Smackdown and Raw did feel noticeably different. Smackdown had far more emphasis on the in ring stuff at thay time and overall was a far better show.

They massive diluted that of course and the shows quickly became totally interchangeable.

Just now, Stellaboz said:

Am I right in saying that the commentators were sh*tting all over the fact that WCW was taking over a WWF television show at that moment? I have the feeling I've seen that recently. 

The actual match had Arn Anderson and Scott Hudson as a commentary team:

Full match but poorer quality:

8 minutes ago, Speroni*1 said:

The actual match had Arn Anderson and Scott Hudson as a commentary team:

Full match but poorer quality:

I mean, aside from the fact it was just a bunch of moves with no actual story behind the match - was it really that bad?

The crowd wanted to shit on it right from the off but it's not like it was boring or mega sloppy.Both guys worked it at a decent pace and actually did moves.

WCW in WWE was doomed from the start. They needed the big hitters from the get go, but they were all rightly sitting at home on their cushy AOL contracts. Instead it was mostly midcarders who were always booked to look inferior to  the WWF guys. I think only Booker T came out of the initial Invasion looking anything like a star.

Just imagine the pop if the likes of Goldberg, Hogan, Sting and Steiner had shown up in 2001.

The argument of course, that still get talked about nearly 20 years later, is that Vince could easily have bought out the AOL contracts and got the Nash's, the Sting's, the Hogan's, the Flair's in 2001.  But like others have said, he chose not to so he would have to just have WCW mid carders like Storm and Bagwell do the invasion, and make WCW look like the inferior product.

Quite daft IMO, what he should've done was paid out the contracts, and just had them debut steadily over a month or so.  No need for a 'WCW' segment on Raw, or indeed an actual WCW weekly show to add to  Raw or Smackdown.  Just do it normally like any debuting wrestler when they come to the promotion.  Then the whole Invasion thing over the 2001 would've been brilliant, instead of mainly being shite.  Not forgetting you didn't have HHH or HBK due to injury either.

The biggest issue was Vince McMahon. Even as recently as 5 years ago he was still crying about WCW when he made the Sting vs HHH match yet another retread of the 'Monday Night Wars'.

Vince's fragile, fragile ego would never allow for the Invasion to be a success.

His match with Bryan on Friday's Smackdown was excellent. One of the few matches in the empty arena that makes you forget about how silent everything is. It's strange that they didn't do any kind of angle to write him of TV though.

It's a shite timing for the likes of Gulak and Mysterio with their contracts expiring now, considering Vince was throwing money at Shelton Benjamin and MIke Kanelis is the very recent past.

Gulak should have no problem finding work though. He would be great in New Japan.

His match with Bryan on Friday's Smackdown was excellent. One of the few matches in the empty arena that makes you forget about how silent everything is. It's strange that they didn't do any kind of angle to write him of TV though.
It's a shite timing for the likes of Gulak and Mysterio with their contracts expiring now, considering Vince was throwing money at Shelton Benjamin and MIke Kanelis is the very recent past.
Gulak should have no problem finding work though. He would be great in New Japan.

I’ve got Smackdown taped, I’ll catch up with It. Surprised Drew didn’t want to stay.

8 minutes ago, FifeArab said:

I’ve got Smackdown taped, I’ll catch up with It. Surprised Drew didn’t want to stay.

No spoilers, but Bryan vs Gulak is a tad better than Elias vs Corbin.

I don't think Gulak will be going to AEW based on this interview with Cody from 2017