The Wrestling Thread

Mo Wonderboy

Okay. So... the blockbuster trade was... *checks notes* ...RAW chucking away two draft picks, that they STUPIDLY picked as two picks instead of one as a tag team?

Man, between that, the panel, the leaked draft and the war rooms, this whole thing went fucking great.

9 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

He's second to Prichard for me. JR is alright, but there's something off putting with the voice of my childhood suddenly becoming very outspoken when he's toed the company line for pretty much the majority of my lifetime.

None of the topics that have been covered by Arn are of any interest as of yet and by and large, I associate him to a larger degree with 80s wrestling which I'm not as interested in.

Finally, TS seems to have a focus on watch a longs.

I think JR is getting too old, he repeats a lot of stuff on his podcast and goes off on tangents. I actually think Conrad doesn’t enjoy doing the JR podcast and I don’t think it will last as long.

Just now, Scotty Tunbridge said:

It’ll be on FS1 before Valentine’s Day IMO.

I wouldn't be surprised. Once they start churning out weekly dreck and viewers tumble Fox will surely take notice.

Bushiroad (NJPW owners) have officially bought over Stardom. Looks like they're doing nothing major in the short term except signing all their workers to full time contracts but in the ling term...who knows? If it gets more people to see the work of Mayu Iwatani, Kagetsu and Starlight Kid I am well up for it.

1 hour ago, Comrie said:

Bushiroad (NJPW owners) have officially bought over Stardom. Looks like they're doing nothing major in the short term except signing all their workers to full time contracts but in the ling term...who knows? If it gets more people to see the work of Mayu Iwatani, Kagetsu and Starlight Kid I am well up for it.

Probable knock on effects for some of the NXTUK women that still tour with Stardom then.

1 hour ago, FairWeatherFan said:

Probable knock on effects for some of the NXTUK women that still tour with Stardom then.

Possibly. They've kept Rossy Ogawa on as CEO for now and have made a statement about how they want to bring in the best from the world, so I expect them to bring in more non-WWE western talent/joshi from other Japanese companies. They'll have far deeper pockets now to attract people.

Ratings for the “war” are in for this week. 1.014M for AEW, 712k for NXT. AEW are still obliterating NXT in the 18-49 segment but they’ll likely drop under a million soon. NXT, without something drastic changing, is probably going to keep falling. 

It’s a shame, because they’re both great shows, but people just don’t seem to want or care for wrestling these days. At least not on the scale that they once did.

It'll be interesting to see how NXT goes over the next few weeks, as they'll need to start actually building towards a PPV.  WarGames is 23rd November.  At the moment they seem to just be jostling around having great matches, but not really putting any kind of proper build together.

2 hours ago, forameus said:

It'll be interesting to see how NXT goes over the next few weeks, as they'll need to start actually building towards a PPV.  WarGames is 23rd November.  At the moment they seem to just be jostling around having great matches, but not really putting any kind of proper build together.

I can see them running more PPVs, and they will dilute the appeal of NXT.

Eventually it could end up as just another show, rather than something brilliant which it has been for years.

The market is getting awfully crowded!

Some companies might not be around for much longer or will have to make pretty drastic changes to stop themselves disappearing.

ROH look like the ones most at threat just now.