The Wrestling Thread

Mo Wonderboy

Heading along to the next Source Origins show a week tomorrow. The first one was really good, and it being a fiver was just ridiculous. Nothing announced for it, but there's a lot of decent talent there, and some real gems, so it'd be harder to create a show that ISN'T good.

Had a little think about my favourite matches of the year so far, which isn't necessarily to say these are technically the best matches... Just the ones I've enjoyed the most. If it was best matches it would probably be an almost all NJPW top 10 given how many shows they churn out. Impossible to keep up with.

1. Cody vs Dustin Rhodes - AEW Double or Nothing.
2. War Raiders vs Aleister Black & Ricochet - NXT Takeover: New York
3. Nick Aldis vs Marty Scurll - Crockett Cup
4. The Young Bucks vs The Lucha Bros - AEW Double  or Nothing
5. Daniel Bryan vs Kofi Kingston - WrestleMania 35
6. Kenny Omega vs Hiroshi Tanahashi - WrestleKingdom 13
7. Will Ospreay vs Bandido - NJPW Best of the Super Juniors XXVI - Day 8
8. Johnny Gargano vs Ricochet - NXT Takeover: Phoenix
9. Tessa Blanchard vs Gail Kim - Impact Wrestling Rebellion
10. AJ Styles vs Seth Rollins - Money in the Bank 2019

There was a match right after that one between Shingo and Dragon Lee. Didn't QUITE match what came on before, but a fucking good match all the same.

If you like a good underdog story with the veteran trying to make one last push, El Phantasmo vs. Rocky Romero on Night 9 is well worth a look. Terrific match and one of the best of Phantasmo's career.

EDIT: Apparently Robbie Eagles vs. Will Ospreay from Night 10 is really good. Not seen it yet, but I have no doubt that it's correct.

Edited by Principal Flutie

On 26/05/2019 at 22:15, TheGoon said:

Finally caught that Osprey/Bandido match. Superb. 

Any recommendations on what else to catch from BOSJ would be greatly appreciated.

Add Dragon Lee vs Titan from night 9 to your watch list as well as those already mentioned

1 minute ago, Christophe said:

Just caught night 10, nothing I’d go out of your way to see there tbh. Coming out of Korakuen and back into the conference centres really takes the edge off! 

So Eagles/Ospreay wasn't as good as people were saying?

Agreed on Titan/Lee. As a spot-fest lover, canny believe I never mentioned that since they totally went down the "let's just do big spots" route.

4 minutes ago, Principal Flutie said:

So Eagles/Ospreay wasn't as good as people were saying?

Agreed on Titan/Lee. As a spot-fest lover, canny believe I never mentioned that since they totally went down the "let's just do big spots" route.

It was fine enough but overbooked and overlong. I’d probably only have went about *** on it.

If you absolutely must then catch Ishimori vs Sho and Kanemaru vs Gresham which probably both come in at about ***1/2,  but really this one can be skipped 

Edited by Christophe

Watched the following matches over the past day or two. From now on I think I'm going to cut down my WWE programming and just hand pick matches that I like the look of or have heard good things about from other cards throughout the week.

Will Ospreay vs Robbie Eagles - NJPW Best of the Super Juniors XXVI - Day 10. ****1/4
Shoko Nakajima vs Miyu Yamashita - TJP Yes! Wonderland 2019 ~ Opportunity Is There ~ ***1/2
Shingo Takagai vs Dragon Lee - NJPW Best of the Super Juniors XXVI - Day 8. ****3/4
Rocky Romero vs El Phantasmo - NJPW Best of the Super Juniors XXVI - Day 9. ****1/2
Mistico vs El Barbaro Cavernario (2 out of 3 falls) - CMLL Super Viernes. ***3/4