The Wrestling Thread

Mo Wonderboy

On 18/04/2019 at 10:14, Principal Flutie said:

That's down to massive failures on WWE's part. Wolfe and Dain barely had to do anything to be seriously over in NXT and it wouldn't have taken much to make them a threat on Smackdown. As I've said repeatedly though. WWE are pish at bringing up teams and groups from NXT.

They had guys who could be stars and just fucking destroyed them. That idiot Road Dogg going just scratches the surface. They need to get rid of the whole lot and start again.

Exactly. Road Dogg is a shill. Always has been...he's defended the name 'Bludgeon Brothers' publicly against criticism in the past and even though he chucked it the other week, has continued to do so with the 'Viking Experience' name. He loves telling folk who don't like things that are hokey, corny or cringey that they just don't get it.

The issue is definitely in the consistency and quality of writing and what Vince signs off on...folk saying the the current product is only surpassed in it's lack of quality by the New Generation but I'd say it's actually significantly worse. So much more wasted talent, fantastic, legitimately world-class wrestlers sitting about doing nothing or being terribly mishandled. At least during TNG, they seemed to advance storylines and at least try to move on consistently, yes it was stupid, cartoonish and more missed the spot than hit, but at least it was constantly changing.

Most storylines and characters just seem to float aimlessly now, Look at Raw on Monday....you had McIntyre, Lashley and Corbin teaming up and talking about what they have done as a stable. Most people, I think, were just baffled by this. They've barely been seen together since December, weren't exactly a stable and I'm sure McIntyre pretty much dissociated himself from them just a couple of weeks ago. No consistency of writing, no pushing forward in the majority of storylines....it goes nowhere and for the most part, is exceptionally boring. It shouldn't be hard to make big, bad b*****ds like McIntyre or Strowman interesting, they can talk, they can go in the ring and they have presence that if you make them look good, people will buy into them

On 18/04/2019 at 11:13, DA Baracus said:

The main issue is Vince McMahon. Until he goes (dies) nothing will change. I fear that Stephanie McMahon will be just as bad though.

Although Steph might be just as bad when Vince finally carks it, she'll at least have HHH there, so if nothing else, there will at least be consistency of character from NXT to main roster and not the clean slate they seem to treat it as just now.

I can't help but feel that with the likes of NXT, NXT UK and constant worldwide scouting, HHH is laying down the groundwork for how he believes the place should be run once Vince is no longer about and Vince has zero interest in the success or otherwise of talents in their own developmental areas. Everyone knows that HHH is absolutely a lover and studious over the pro-wrestling aspect of erm....pro-wrestling. Vince is on record as saying he despises the term 'professional wrestling' and even 'wrestler' and has never watched any other promotion other than his own. Pro-wrestling is what his dad did and belongs in Memphis or the Carolinas.....he is putting on an entertainment variety show. 

Even remember a time when Scott Hall was doing an interview and recalling trying to pitch ideas for Razor Ramon's gimmick back in 1992 and when he explained the Tony Montana, Scarface connection to his character, Vince just looked at him blankly and said he doesn't watch movies, so didn't get the reference.

Edited by djchapsticks

Night one of DTTI was incredible. Dan Moloney vs Will Ospreay was one of the best matches I've seen live. Surprise Jeff Cobb was fun. Sami Callihan swinging at a fan was amazing. He was nowhere near hitting but the fan shat. The Besties' entrance is something to behold.

As expected, nothing of real note on the Shield’s Final Chapter show, 3 standard house shoe matches but a nice speech at the end from Rollins. 

Fair booted the arse out of Ambrose’s goodbye. Why this show happened I have no idea.

32 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Is it just me that thinks Becky Lynch's music is quite shit? It doesn't really suit her character. 

I expected them to change it when she changed her character.  But then they seem intent to turn her back into an "it's all for you guys" babyface, so it'll probably come full circle.

The rest of the DTTI weekend was quite something. Some notes.

* Way to get heel heat in FCP #1: Say "speak American" instead of "speak English". Huuuge heat for that.

* Way to get heel heat in FCP #2: Interrupt the Besties' entrance. Fans HATED Schadenfreude after that.

* oVe are pish. But already knew that. Swinging at the fan was the best thing any of them done all weekend. 

* Rey Fenix vs Will Ospreay. Fucking hell.

* Mark Davis had such a big weekend, running through FIVE challengers and all of them great matches.

* Lucha Bros were close to being the stars of the weekend and in most wrestling weekends they'd have been the highlight but...

* Dan Moloney. The fans were way on board with him winning the title from Davis on night 3 and in a match featuring PAC and Ospreay that'd have been a huge win. The Ospreay match was the big one for him.

* Will Ospreay just absolutely nailed it every night and is clearly among the very best in the world. It's actually looking like he's cutting down his shows as well. 

10 hours ago, JamieStevenson said:

Doubt it's him even in control of his Twitter.

In other news The Viking Experience are now The Viking Raiders.

They had to change it. The backlash was so fierce and so universal that the name simply couldn't remain. It was so dumb it had to go.