The Wrestling Thread

Mo Wonderboy

What's everyone's opinion's on Ronda Rousey's new gimmick of running around screaming 'it's all fucking fake, I'm legit!'

It's causing a total shitstorm amongst the old-schoolers and the 'it's still real to me damnit' crowd and her latest t-shirt is the absolute icing on the cake - for anyone who hasn't seen it, it simply says 'Break Kayfabe' and also has a bit on the back about making sure Marks are accompanied by a responsible adult at all times.

I don't know where I sit with it. Everyone knows the deal with wrestling, it's no biggie these days but for obvious reasons, namely suspension of disbelief, it's not something that's really used in a full on gimmick. I can think of a handful of times when it's been legitimately brought up in one of the main promotions as part of an angle or gimmick. Brian Pillman was probably the very first purveyor of it that I remember. Punk always seemed to stretch that boundary a wee bit as well.

One one hand, it's quite cringeworthy patter to come away with 'it's all scripted, you're losers for even liking this shit' and from the outside looking in, it's cheap as f**k heat and not exactly helping in the build to the biggest show of the year in the wrestling calendar.

On the other hand, it's Ronda Rousey....if ANYONE should get such a gimmick where they say 'f**k you, I'll do what I'm told by my employer but let's be honest, I'd actually kill you if I wanted to', it's her. In a strange way it suits her down to the ground. The world knows shes come across in UFC as petty, bratty, a bit entitled and goes off in a huff when things don't go her way. That's a perfect wrestling heel and she has actually generated massive heat amongst the 'Marks' that she's been aiming jibes at.

Really on the fence with it at the moment. Not sure if it's ham-fisted shite or a cracking, gimmick that suits her down to the ground and riles up the neckbeard element.

I like the basis of it but it's being overdone. 

Was at a Source show tonight in Pollockshaws and was really impressed with pretty much everything on there. It might be getting uploaded and if it does, you HAVE to see the main event between Kieran Kelly and Xero. A total fucking war of a match.

Lots of great talent coming through Source right now, and at a fiver, the standard was probably far better than the price would suggest.

2 hours ago, JamieStevenson said:

Wait a minute, a WWE employee... Are they finally on board with Warrior's idea of rewarding staff from behind the scenes?

D19loC8WoAE5o9q.png

The Duchess of Queensbury finally gets in the HOF :lol:

Edited by Stelling

They should've got Jim Johnstone in at some point.  Don't think anyone could argue that he hasn't had a huge impact on some of the biggest moments the company have had.  Certainly better than CFO$%*£)"$%?!£$"%$ or whatever they're called.  

3 hours ago, forameus said:

They should've got Jim Johnstone in at some point.  Don't think anyone could argue that he hasn't had a huge impact on some of the biggest moments the company have had.  Certainly better than CFO$%*£)"$%?!£$"%$ or whatever they're called.  

Can't see it. I don't think he left on good terms at all. 

Maybe in a few years once it's all blown over. He definitely dereves it. 

As well as being dreadful in the ring, they can’t act for shit. That feud they had a few years ago with the “I wish you’d died in the womb” line was the baddest of bad aids. They can stick to Total Bellas.

The last couple of years, NXT has looked the show of the weekend, but I have to say, the NJ/ROH Supercard at the MSG is the one to watch for me.

ROH World Heavyweight Championship
Ladder Match

Jay Lethal (c) vs. Matt Taven vs. Marty Scurll

IWGP Heavyweight Championship
Jay White (c) vs. Kazuchika Okada

ROH Tag Team Championships
Villain Enterprises (c) vs. Guerrillas of Destiny vs. The Briscoes vs. LIJ ( SANADA and EVIL )

IWGP Intercontinental Championship
Tetsuya Naito (c) vs. Kota Ibushi

ROH World Television Championship/IWGP NEVER Openweight Championship
Jeff Cobb vs. Will Ospreay

Rev Pro British Heavyweight Championship
Zack Sabre Jr. (c) vs. Hiroshi Tanahashi

IWGP Jr. Heavyweight Championship
Taiji Ishimori (c) vs. Bandido vs. Dragon Lee

Women of Honor Championship Match
Mayu Iwatani (c) vs. Kelly Klein

RUSH vs. Dalton Castle

Bully Ray Open Challenge NYC Street Fight

Pre Show
Honor Rumble

2 hours ago, Principal Flutie said:

The last couple of years, NXT has looked the show of the weekend, but I have to say, the NJ/ROH Supercard at the MSG is the one to watch for me.

ROH World Heavyweight Championship
Ladder Match

Jay Lethal (c) vs. Matt Taven vs. Marty Scurll

IWGP Heavyweight Championship
Jay White (c) vs. Kazuchika Okada

ROH Tag Team Championships
Villain Enterprises (c) vs. Guerrillas of Destiny vs. The Briscoes vs. LIJ ( SANADA and EVIL )

IWGP Intercontinental Championship
Tetsuya Naito (c) vs. Kota Ibushi

ROH World Television Championship/IWGP NEVER Openweight Championship
Jeff Cobb vs. Will Ospreay

Rev Pro British Heavyweight Championship
Zack Sabre Jr. (c) vs. Hiroshi Tanahashi

IWGP Jr. Heavyweight Championship
Taiji Ishimori (c) vs. Bandido vs. Dragon Lee

Women of Honor Championship Match
Mayu Iwatani (c) vs. Kelly Klein

RUSH vs. Dalton Castle

Bully Ray Open Challenge NYC Street Fight

Pre Show
Honor Rumble

The IWGP tag titles are also now up for grabs in the Four-Way tag match

Who we liking for the Bully Ray open challenge? Flip Gordon works story wise for ROH but I really, really hope it’s Tomohiro Ishii!!!

Edited by Christophe