The Wrestling Thread

Mo Wonderboy

Not that I'd imagine we'd ever see him actually compete in another company's ring, I did see someone on Twitter say that the Undertaker trademark isn't actually owned by WWE.

Surely that's bollocks.

I know back in the 90s he did shows for Smokey Mountain and also over in Japan but that was because the Fed had working agreements with those companies.

It would seem ludicrous if they didn't actually have that gimmick all tied up.

They could hide his frailties by having him in gimmick matches on impact. Those car wreck full metal mayhem things.
Or, I’m sure Flair still needs money. They’re both likely about 3/4 divorces deep.
Ric Flair v Bad Ass American Mark in an Alimony Payments on a pole match at Slammiversary!

I'd have zero interest in seeing Taker wrestle anything other than a fairly short retirement match at Mania.

Pretty sure he's loaded and doesn't need the money. He has loads of property if I recall accurately.

1 hour ago, DA Baracus said:

I'd have zero interest in seeing Taker wrestle anything other than a fairly short retirement match at Mania.

Pretty sure he's loaded and doesn't need the money. He has loads of property if I recall accurately.

I'm surprised that that hasn't ever really seemed on the cards.  He seems fairly old school, and I would've thought going out on your back putting someone over would be the way he'd go.  Seems like he'd rather just drift off instead without a big ending.  I guess he had the Roman match - was that always penned in as the end before it actually started, and everyone realised it was a massive fucking car wreck that didn't deserve to end things?

If he was to wrestle at WM this year, I'm sure they could write a decent enough final, short retirement match.

39 minutes ago, forameus said:

I'm surprised that that hasn't ever really seemed on the cards.  He seems fairly old school, and I would've thought going out on your back putting someone over would be the way he'd go.  Seems like he'd rather just drift off instead without a big ending.  I guess he had the Roman match - was that always penned in as the end before it actually started, and everyone realised it was a massive fucking car wreck that didn't deserve to end things?

If he was to wrestle at WM this year, I'm sure they could write a decent enough final, short retirement match.

The boring shit they were doing to continually try (and fail) to make the boring Reigns THE guy were failing so they were clearly going for him being who retired Taker but have Taker, as some sort of last act, acknowledge him in a passing of the torch moment.

I think that dog shit match they had (mostly Taker's fault incidentally) buried that idea.

I suppose the big issue you have now is who is there that is over enough and would benefit enough now to be the guy who could not only become the guy who retired Taker but then 'gained his respect'? None of their top guys really need it and their failure to build new stars means that there's no one who would be believable in the role and who could use it to propel themselves in to the main event scene. I think Finn Balor is the only guy who really fits that profile but how likely is that after he dared to get injured in that one match that one time?

They're basically missed their window with doing a retirement 'passing the torch' match.

Edited by DA Baracus

3 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

The boring shit they were doing to continually try (and fail) to make the boring Reigns THE guy were failing so they were clearly going for him being who retired Taker but have Taker, as some sort of last act, acknowledge him in a passing of the torch moment.

I think that dog shit match they had (mostly Taker's fault incidentally) buried that idea.

I suppose the big issue you have now is who is there that is over enough and would benefit enough now to be the guy who could not only become the guy who retired Taker but then 'gained his respect'? None of their top guys really need it and their failure to build new stars means that there's no one who would be believable in the role and who could use it to propel themselves in to the main event scene. I think Finn Balor is the only guy who really fits that profile but how likely is that after he dared to get injured in that one match that one time?

They're basically missed their window with doing a retirement 'passing the torch' match.

Yeah, it went probably from what could have made Reigns to being probably the worst thing that could happen to him.  He was having to lug around a largely lifeless Undertaker, who struggled to get Reigns up himself.  I don't think I've seen as outright sad a match as that for a long time.  They almost salvaged it with Reigns "heel" promo the day after, but...well, look what happened there.

Finn Balor could get built into a decent story, particularly if they turn him more heel.  In my mind, the only thing they could really do is have a heel come in and properly destroy him.  A proper scheme booting.  It doesn't really "gain his respect" or anything, but I'm not sure Taker really has it in him anymore to have the sort of 30 minute match where they both leave in each others arms ala him/HHH/HBK.  I remember hearing someone suggest Ciampa, which would be something.  Not sure it'd work though.

25 minutes ago, forameus said:

Yeah, it went probably from what could have made Reigns to being probably the worst thing that could happen to him.  He was having to lug around a largely lifeless Undertaker, who struggled to get Reigns up himself.  I don't think I've seen as outright sad a match as that for a long time.  They almost salvaged it with Reigns "heel" promo the day after, but...well, look what happened there.

Finn Balor could get built into a decent story, particularly if they turn him more heel.  In my mind, the only thing they could really do is have a heel come in and properly destroy him.  A proper scheme booting.  It doesn't really "gain his respect" or anything, but I'm not sure Taker really has it in him anymore to have the sort of 30 minute match where they both leave in each others arms ala him/HHH/HBK.  I remember hearing someone suggest Ciampa, which would be something.  Not sure it'd work though.

Balor as a face could still work. Have a lot of Demon vs Phenom nonsense and you could work out a decent enough 10 minute match I think.

But face Balor has been shit, because they've given him the character of 'man who smiles' which has worked for approximately zero people ever. 

I'd bill the match as career ending for Taker (like they did with HBK/Flair) and they can work the Demon/Phenom shit and have Balor win. Big hugs and tears in the ring, Taker goes to a knee to do his pose to signify his respect for Balor and the passing of the torch, with the commentators emphasising it. Balor, emotional, nods and is so humble. He leaves the ring and goes backstage to allow Taker his moment. Taker, in tears, thanks the crowd (no mic), then heads up the ring. He stops at the top, turns to face the crowd, and throws up the fist like he's done so many times before.

Then Balor smashes him from behind and kicks the shit out of him.

Next night on Raw he talks about how WWE is full of old c***s hogging the spotlight and how younger hungry guys like him are held down. He gets bitter about he's done everything asked of him, how he's smiled and smiled and smiled and it got him nowhere. He says he is the future of WWE and that any old timer who gets in his way will be taken down.

Cena comes out and after a lot of trash talking it leads to them in the main event with the winner being number 1 contender to the Universal title. Main event comes around and Cena looks to have it won only for Gallows and Anderson to interfere and give Balor the win.

Balor and (The Club) then gets drafted to Smackdown during the draft and says that he's still number 1 contender but now for the WWE title. Some c**t like Orton or Hardy (has to be a veteran) can come out and claim that has to prove it and demands a match with the winner being number 1 contender. Balor will do it whilst giving it all the stuff about how he's the future etc. He beats them (Club interference if you want). He goes on to fight whoever is champ at the next PPV.

Absolutely none of that will happen mind. Taker won't have a retirement match for a start, and if he did he wouldn't face Balor.

Balor will continue to be a smiling babyface that totally cripples his character.

I'd personally love the Taker stuff to happen with Ciampa but it absolutely wouldn't work. This Mania is far too soon as more folk would need to know who Ciampa is (a lot of casual fans don't watch NXT) for it to mean anything and to work.

Next year's Mania wouldn't work either as Taker would be even more far too gone.

Edited by DA Baracus

Graves won’t face punishment for being a complete c**t, but threatening with WWE’s lawyers might get him in some hot water. I really don’t like him, but far from the first/last time this has happened.