The Wrestling Thread

Mo Wonderboy

I've actually seen folk saying NXT should be treated as a third show. The talent roster is thin enough with two shows, I mean how times in a row recently have we had the likes of Orton-Jinder and the Hardy's-Cesaro and Sheamus, Zayn-Corbin, Miz-Ambrose and they are ripping Enzo and Cass to f**k as well now. Its the same shit cause they have such a small pool of wrestlers to work with on each show, and thats even before the part-timers like Cena and Lesnar. NXT also doesn't have a tv deal either. 

There's guys that are better off in NXT. Tyler Breeze going to the main roster was something that I was pretty worried about from the word go. Seems to have found a place now but these midcard comedy jaunts never last long.

Oney Lorcan is a guy who's a perfect fit for NXT and really should be able to just stick where he is, but I'd suppose he's more ambitious than that.

35 minutes ago, Snakebite said:

A bit late, but I see Dave Meltzer apparently claimed Shawn Michaels isn't even in the top 30 AMERICAN wrestlers of all time. :lol:

The c**t should just f**k off tae Japan full-time and live there.

:lol:

Why does anyone listen to this c**t (Meltzer)? Out of interest, where did you see this? I've just done a search but couldn't find it

Edited by DA Baracus

8 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

:lol:

Why does anyone listen to this c**t (Meltzer)? Out of interest, where did you see this? I've just done a search but couldn't find it

The list (as far as I'm aware) was to do with box office draws. HBK isn't in the top 30.

Yeah off the top of my head I would imagine:

Hogan, Savage, Warrior, Flair, Andre, Sammartino, Hart, Undertaker, Austin, Rock, Cena, Lesnar, Sting, HHH, Lesnar have all been bigger draws than HBK at various points in their career.

That's only 15 though...im not sure I could easily think of 15 more who I would be convinced were bigger draws than HBK in his prime 

Hogan, Savage, Warrior, Flair, Andre, Sammartino, Hart, Undertaker, Austin, Rock, Cena, Lesnar, Sting, HHH, Lesnar have all been bigger draws than HBK at various points in their career.
That's only 15 though...im not sure I could easily think of 15 more who I would be convinced were bigger draws than HBK in his prime 

Macho Man, Lou Thesz, Dory Funk Jr, Dusty Rhodes, Jerry Lawler are another 5 I'd add to the list and that's just American/Canadian wrestling. Wrestling isn't just WWE, it's arguably just as big in Japan so you could probably throw in several of their guys too.

HBK was a phenomenal wrestler, and one of my favourites but as far as drawing power and taking context into consideration I don't think there's anything too controversial with Meltzer's statement.

Meltzer generally speaks sense but he seems to admittedly have been going for a more 'shock jock' style the past 5-6 year.

Nope, HBK would easily make that list, which is just a nonsense. There's little point comparing territory guys to 90s era guys. If the HBK character was around in any of those territories folk are mentioning top drawers from, he'd have drawn no bother at all

Edited by Christophe

1 hour ago, DavidMcG said:

Roman Reigns IMO.

Michaels of 95/96/97 was a huge draw. 

You can't say that after his return, extra folk weren't drawn to cards with Michaels going against guys like Hogan, HHH, Taker and Jericho. 

Is he a top 10 draw? Probably not. To say he isn't in the top 30 is absolutely ridiculous though. 

Edited by djchapsticks

Still watching 2001 Raws (mostly good to very good; despite how badly they mangled the Invasion the storyline was still red hot and had the crowd popping all over the place).

Anyway, I forgot that they tried to make 'Booger Red' a nickname for Undertaker. Obviously since its fucking dreadful and absolute nonsense it never took off.

What are the worst nicknames in wrestling? Currently 'The Cleaner' (Kenny Omega) is a shitter (I get what they're trying to do with it but it just doesn't work). Back in the day 'The Colossus of Boggo Row' (Nathan Jones) was a howler

On 04/08/2017 at 19:45, DA Baracus said:

Anyway, I forgot that they tried to make 'Booger Red' a nickname for Undertaker. Obviously since its fucking dreadful and absolute nonsense it never took off.

To be fair, it was only JR who ever tried to make it a thing.

The name was originally used for an American fitba player called Tommy Nobis.

Much like Taker, Nobis was a big, scary looking ginger guy from Texas so I can at least see what JR was going for.

At the same time though, you can't really get away with referring to the Phenom as "Booger Red"...:lol:

46 minutes ago, Derek Patterson said:

To be fair, it was only JR who ever tried to make it a thing.

The name was originally used for an American fitba player called Tommy Nobis.

Much like Taker, Nobis was a big, scary looking ginger guy from Texas so I can at least see what JR was going for.

At the same time though, you can't really get away with referring to the Phenom as "Booger Red"...:lol:

I remember Lawler, quite rightly, taking the piss out of JR during the Taker/Flair match at Wrestlemania X8 for trying to make the Booger Red name stick.

Anyone going to Ring Of Honor in Edinburgh next Sunday? I'm far too excited about seeing the likes of The Young Bucks, Naito, Jay Lethal and Dalton Castle. It's by far my favourite promotion and I've never seen it live before.

Full card is actually fun looking stuff.

Main Event
The Addiction vs. Cody and Marty Scurll

ROH Six Man Tag Team Championships
Dalton Castle and The Boys (c) vs. The Young Bucks and Hangman Page

Edinburgh Street Fight
Jay Lethal vs. Silas Young

Tetsuya Naito, SANADA and BUSHI vs. Titan, Mistico and KUSHIDA

Bully Ray vs. EVIL

Hiromu Takahashi vs. Mark Haskins

The Briscoes vs. Rey Bucanero and Ultimo Guerrero

Kenny King vs. Josh Bodom