Pregnancy And Parenting

3 minutes ago, Falcor Roar said:

He's two and a half so he's at the stage where he can understand basic instructions but is usually inclined not to follow them. He does nap during the day for an hour at least. I just think carrying him on public transport and along busy roads sounds like a pain in the arse. Eating out can be hit or miss I'm terms of enjoyment, I usually shovel my food down Quickly while trying in vain to keep him occupied. 

That fault doesn't improve with age...

1 hour ago, Falcor Roar said:

He's two and a half so he's at the stage where he can understand basic instructions but is usually inclined not to follow them. He does nap during the day for an hour at least. I just think carrying him on public transport and along busy roads sounds like a pain in the arse. Eating out can be hit or miss I'm terms of enjoyment, I usually shovel my food down Quickly while trying in vain to keep him occupied

Strongly relate to the bold bit. Think that was one of the most stressful parts of the airport was eating and she's jumping over the back of seats grabbing foreign speaking people's hats and talking gibberish at them.

Could go either way man, the unpredictable nature of 2-3 years olds is murder. She didn't have a tablet on the last holiday, she has her own kids kindle one now and it's fucking brilliant, for the most part if offered she'll sit, watch it and eat snacks, sometimes she'll choose chaos instead though. That'll defo be coming on holiday with us. 

55 minutes ago, thistledo said:

Strongly relate to the bold bit. Think that was one of the most stressful parts of the airport was eating and she's jumping over the back of seats grabbing foreign speaking people's hats and talking gibberish at them.

Could go either way man, the unpredictable nature of 2-3 years olds is murder. She didn't have a tablet on the last holiday, she has her own kids kindle one now and it's fucking brilliant, for the most part if offered she'll sit, watch it and eat snacks, sometimes she'll choose chaos instead though. That'll defo be coming on holiday with us. 

It’s true what they say about the “terrible twos”.

7 year old granddaughter came home from school, and proudly displayed two sheets of A4 card with scribbles (drawings, she called them) on them that she had been sold by an older girl in the playground at breaktime. Cost her £2.50 for "drawings" that she could do better herself. I was raging. Step daughter phoned the school about it but I doubt she'll see her money again.

Great excitement there! The Bairn is being potty trained, so we have had to continue the regime. She asked to go to the toilet and "She's done a poo!" Just as I sat down to my dinner...

I think we may have covered this before or there was maybe a thread, but what's the accepted P&B wisdom about when to free your kids to roam the streets like we did?

I feel there's a bit of a natural point coming for my oldest where she wants a little bit longer on the reins.... She is 8 btw. As a result of this iv currently let the two of them out the front to cycle their bikes around a section of the street we live in. They probably only have 200 yards really to play with, but it's the first time I've let them leave our house/garden unattended. 

I still don't think I can trust them quite yet to go as far as  the nearest park, but I was thinking maybe summer hols for a trial run or two at that. What's the thoughts on this?

19 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

I think we may have covered this before or there was maybe a thread, but what's the accepted P&B wisdom about when to free your kids to roam the streets like we did?

I feel there's a bit of a natural point coming for my oldest where she wants a little bit longer on the reins.... She is 8 btw. As a result of this iv currently let the two of them out the front to cycle their bikes around a section of the street we live in. They probably only have 200 yards really to play with, but it's the first time I've let them leave our house/garden unattended. 

I still don't think I can trust them quite yet to go as far as  the nearest park, but I was thinking maybe summer hols for a trial run or two at that. What's the thoughts on this?

My eldest is also 8 and we have been letting him go off to the park by himself/with friends for a year and a half now. The park is only 30 seconds away in fairness and we could see about half of it from our living room window so I don’t think we would have let him out on his own as early if that wasn’t  the case.

It’s only the last few weeks that he has started to properly venture off. He now goes out on his bike and over to his friends “bit” which is over half a mile away and involves crossing a busy main road. He does have a phone now which we have got a tracker on so we will always know where he is, which does put your mind at rest quite a bit. He was always very honest about where he was off to anyway but the tracker is more about making sure something serious hasn’t happened to him.

I think it depends on a lot of things. How close is the nearest park? Do you have to cross a lot of roads etc? How busy is it? I was probably over checking up on him every 15 mins when he was first out but now we only really see him when it’s time to eat.

Edited by PB1994

1 hour ago, PB1994 said:

My eldest is also 8 and we have been letting him go off to the park by himself/with friends for a year and a half now. The park is only 30 seconds away in fairness and we could see about half of it from our living room window so I don’t think we would have let him out on his own as early if that wasn’t  the case.

It’s only the last few weeks that he has started to properly venture off. He now goes out on his bike and over to his friends “bit” which is over half a mile away and involves crossing a busy main road. He does have a phone now which we have got a tracker on so we will always know where he is, which does put your mind at rest quite a bit. He was always very honest about where he was off to anyway but the tracker is more about making sure something serious hasn’t happened to him.

I think it depends on a lot of things. How close is the nearest park? Do you have to cross a lot of roads etc? How busy is it? I was probably over checking up on him every 15 mins when he was first out but now we only really see him when it’s time to eat.

Cool. Sort of tallies up with me thinking it's close to the time where they are maybe due to get some freedom. None of their wee pals are properly close tho which is a shame. You always think about these things too much I think, when generally there does just seem to be a natural tipping point where you think yeah now it's time for that. 

They have a park that is across 1 busy-ish Road albeit it is a 30 eith speed bumps etc, and 1 deathly quiet road so I think I might let them strike out there soon and see how they get on. 

19 minutes ago, derrybiy said:

My beautiful daughter Eva was born last Friday after a not so straightforward induction and labour. This was followed by a four night stay in hospital for my wife to recuperate where she felt comfortable whilst I was hating it and desperate to get us all home. We made a really stupid decision to stay at my parents free house on our first night out because it would be easier for the recovering mother to move around. This was followed by a second stupid decision to immediately introduce our dog to the mix that had been missing us for days and hadn't been around babies all that much, this was before we'd even unpacked. This ended in lots of stress, taking the dog home and getting an out of hours appointment at another hospital at 4.30am because our daughter was suddenly crying, shivering and going red for 5 hours which she'd never done before on the previous nights in the hospital. By the time we got to this appointment the crying had stopped and a nice doctor calmy checked her before explaining what we already had guessed. This is what babies do when you move them into new environments especially with parents who are sleep deprived and not very calm. We felt quite stupid but thankfully the doctor took pity on us and I think it must happen quite a lot.

Things are going as well as they can now. I'm encouraged to do the night feeds because although she's bottle fed she'll apparently naturally cling to her mum and be unsettled at night as if she was going to be breastfed (unless the midwife was bribed into saying this). However, I also have to be awake during the day to do the dog duties and I'm shite at sleeping in the daytime.

That's all the negatives but the positives are we are getting into the flow of things as best we can and both daughter and mum are doing really well.

20230601_144011.jpg

Congratulations to you both!  She’s a wee cracker.

24 minutes ago, derrybiy said:

My beautiful daughter Eva was born last Friday after a not so straightforward induction and labour. This was followed by a four night stay in hospital for my wife to recuperate where she felt comfortable whilst I was hating it and desperate to get us all home. We made a really stupid decision to stay at my parents free house on our first night out because it would be easier for the recovering mother to move around. This was followed by a second stupid decision to immediately introduce our dog to the mix that had been missing us for days and hadn't been around babies all that much, this was before we'd even unpacked. This ended in lots of stress, taking the dog home and getting an out of hours appointment at another hospital at 4.30am because our daughter was suddenly crying, shivering and going red for 5 hours which she'd never done before on the previous nights in the hospital. By the time we got to this appointment the crying had stopped and a nice doctor calmy checked her before explaining what we already had guessed. This is what babies do when you move them into new environments especially with parents who are sleep deprived and not very calm. We felt quite stupid but thankfully the doctor took pity on us and I think it must happen quite a lot.

Things are going as well as they can now. I'm encouraged to do the night feeds because although she's bottle fed she'll apparently naturally cling to her mum and be unsettled at night as if she was going to be breastfed (unless the midwife was bribed into saying this). However, I also have to be awake during the day to do the dog duties and I'm shite at sleeping in the daytime.

That's all the negatives but the positives are we are getting into the flow of things as best we can and both daughter and mum are doing really well.

20230601_144011.jpg

I just realised I never got back to you about that peanut butter whisky from a couple of months ago mate. It was shite. Really sugary like if you put crap bourbon into a bowl of ricicles. Don’t toast the new arrival with it. 

52 minutes ago, derrybiy said:

20230601_144011.jpg

Congratulations! Added to the list.

derrybly                1   (1)

Total babies     346

2 hours ago, CarrbridgeSaintee said:

Congratulations to you both!  She’s a wee cracker.

1 hour ago, Jacksgranda said:

Congratulations! Added to the list.

derrybly                1   (1)

Total babies     346

Cheers.

2 hours ago, carpetmonster said:

I just realised I never got back to you about that peanut butter whisky from a couple of months ago mate. It was shite. Really sugary like if you put crap bourbon into a bowl of ricicles. Don’t toast the new arrival with it. 

I'd forgotten about that😂 Definitely one to pawn off on visitors or something to have as a last resort when you've had one too many.

Ill struggle to find anything funnier than watching the, now 14 month old, charge into the middle of the room as if somethings on fire, breathlessly pant and look all around, then charge to a corner of the room to pick up a building block that gets thrown.

A massive drama to him, thats presumably beyond my understanding.

On 01/06/2023 at 19:03, carpetmonster said:

Sheepdog?

Doesn't sound the most appetising.

On 01/06/2023 at 18:38, derrybiy said:

I'm encouraged to do the night feeds because although she's bottle fed she'll apparently naturally cling to her mum and be unsettled at night as if she was going to be breastfed (unless the midwife was bribed into saying this). However, I also have to be awake during the day to do the dog duties and I'm shite at sleeping in the daytime.

This is always a bugbear of mine. My kids were bottle fed. My daughter clung to me very much when she was a baby. Not being breastfed did them no harm at all. 

And bottle feeding meant we both did it. 

On 01/06/2023 at 18:38, derrybiy said:

20230601_144011.jpg

Congratulations to you both, she's a beauty and seems oblivious to all the fuss!

You don't need anybody to tell you but you both done the right thing in taking her to hospital, that's the parental instinct kicking in. 

You will find you get into a routine, everything being up in the air to start with is perfectly normal.

On 31/05/2023 at 16:05, Bairnardo said:

My son is 7 but has been playing put in the street for 2/3 years now. We live just off a main road but the street is pretty quiet. He's got one pal in the street who is a year older but they're both into the same stuff so they play away together happily. There are also plenty of older kids who would look out for them if anything was to happen and there's always adults nearby. 

All you can do is set boundaries for them, it's up to them to show they can be trusted before the boundaries get stretched.