Pregnancy And Parenting

On 15/10/2022 at 10:22, Jimmy Shaker said:

Thirteen days to go. The experience of being pregnant has been 'fabulous' she says, but even after seven years of IVF to get this point, she's had more than enough and wants him out tout de suite.

This is a hell of a journey you and your Mrs have been on, mate.  Is it P&B's first IVF baby?  Does @Jacksgranda's spreadsheet cover such details?

I wish your Mrs and wee Jimmy Shaker all the best for a happy and healthy delivery.

1 minute ago, The_Kincardine said:

This is a hell of a journey you and your Mrs have been on, mate.  Is it P&B's first IVF baby?  Does @Jacksgranda's spreadsheet cover such details?

I wish your Mrs and wee Jimmy Shaker all the best for a happy and healthy delivery.

No. In. fact the spreadsheet is hopelessly out of date, and needs reviewed from start to finish. Maybe sometime.

The eldest (Aila) has recently got into Minecraft. So she naturally asks daily "Can I play Minecraft?". The youngest (2) has heard this and I love how her mind works - any time she sees any Minecraft stuff in shops she'll say "There's Aila's Craft" and similarly will ask her sister "Are you playing Your Craft?"

40 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

The eldest (Aila) has recently got into Minecraft. So she naturally asks daily "Can I play Minecraft?". The youngest (2) has heard this and I love how her mind works - any time she sees any Minecraft stuff in shops she'll say "There's Aila's Craft" and similarly will ask her sister "Are you playing Your Craft?"

Interesting name for your youngest 😉

1 minute ago, 19QOS19 said:
1 hour ago, Zen Archer (Raconteur) said:
Receive NHS invitation for Covid & Flu vaccine.
Log on, no fucking appointments available at any of the venues.

You took a wrong turn m8?

Apparently so.

PTTGOYN

When on PC you click on a topic and it jumps to a different topic when updated pish for this.

18 hours ago, The_Kincardine said:

This is a hell of a journey you and your Mrs have been on, mate.  Is it P&B's first IVF baby? 

The longer we spent doing treatment, the more we realised how common it is. The first doctor we saw said most folk have no idea of the issues that go on because for a lot of people, getting pregnant is a doddle, but for a growing percentage of the population, it's apparently becoming ever trickier. 

We started it in 2016, having to lose weight to get so much as an appointment - I'm not a naturally thin person - and once we did we'd to wait for a place on the list for treatment, keep the weight off - I shed near four stone between the 2016 Champions League final and the Super Cup game that came after it that summer - and then we could begin. First try didn't work. Second try produced a positive test, but the scan that followed showed nothing. 

Abandoned it for a while, and went back for another go, and it didn't work. Had almost given up, but were told that because we had eggs, drugs and some of my sauce left over, all we'd need to pay for do it private would be the implant, and weight didn't matter. Knowing it was the last go reduced the stress rather than increase it, oddly, as did the fact we could waddle in any size and it didn't matter. And here we are. 

It's not a pleasant experience, all in, though it's not the worst for me, all I'd to do was churn out some manfat in a room with a very locked door one afternoon. Not much fun for the woman half, even down to the terminology - implants, harvesting, etc. - and the amount of drugs she'd to take through it all was grim. There's stories of folk going nuts doing it, burning all their money doing it, divorcing after the end when it doesn't work. We've burnt all our money but that was due to going on holiday inbetween tries when we thought it wouldn't work. :lol:

One day to go. 

9 minutes ago, Jimmy Shaker said:

The longer we spent doing treatment, the more we realised how common it is. The first doctor we saw said most folk have no idea of the issues that go on because for a lot of people, getting pregnant is a doddle, but for a growing percentage of the population, it's apparently becoming ever trickier. 

We started it in 2016, having to lose weight to get so much as an appointment - I'm not a naturally thin person - and once we did we'd to wait for a place on the list for treatment, keep the weight off - I shed near four stone between the 2016 Champions League final and the Super Cup game that came after it that summer - and then we could begin. First try didn't work. Second try produced a positive test, but the scan that followed showed nothing. 

Abandoned it for a while, and went back for another go, and it didn't work. Had almost given up, but were told that because we had eggs, drugs and some of my sauce left over, all we'd need to pay for do it private would be the implant, and weight didn't matter. Knowing it was the last go reduced the stress rather than increase it, oddly, as did the fact we could waddle in any size and it didn't matter. And here we are. 

It's not a pleasant experience, all in, though it's not the worst for me, all I'd to do was churn out some manfat in a room with a very locked door one afternoon. Not much fun for the woman half, even down to the terminology - implants, harvesting, etc. - and the amount of drugs she'd to take through it all was grim. There's stories of folk going nuts doing it, burning all their money doing it, divorcing after the end when it doesn't work. We've burnt all our money but that was due to going on holiday inbetween tries when we thought it wouldn't work. :lol:

One day to go. 

My brother and (former) sister-in-law went through this also. The steps you describe, the costs, the hassle, all of it. Eventually they were told it wasn't working and that it just wouldn't happen.

The thing with stress lifting is probably right, because she became naturally pregnant just a couple of months later and had a baby girl in 2008, and then another in 2010.

We have family who she was told in twenties would never conceive naturally. They spent a fortune on IVF and eventually got pregnant.

Four years later.......having spent the festive season eating all the food you aren't meant to, drinking etc everything polar opposite she had done during IVF and in early 40's went to doctor thinking unwell.......nope 7 months later a naturally conceived healthy baby! 

My aunt started IVF after assisted conception for first but in the end her husband asked her to stop as the drugs were making her awful to live with. 

3 minutes ago, RH33 said:

My aunt started IVF after assisted conception for first but in the end her husband asked her to stop as the drugs were making her awful to live with. 

They can do that. I'm not sure if they did with the wife, or if she's always been like that. Tip your waitress, try the fish, enjoy your evening. Helping her with injections at the start wasn't much fun for either of us. 

Since this started, I've been bumped from one job - possibly due to all of this going on in the background - and taken another which involved an arsehole of a commute, moved to another one closer to home, spent a year working from home, then changed career again. Been a long time doing all this when I remember all that. 

1 hour ago, Jimmy Shaker said:

One day to go. 

Our upcoming second is IVF. The Mrs had put the hard word on me that the wee one should have a sibling, as we've no real close family in the US and she should have someone to look out for her and vice versa. She got pregnant very late 2019 and then miscarried 11 or 12 weeks in.  The medics told her she was like a greasy spoon at 5pm, no eggs left, and suggested we should perhaps sign up with an agency. Agency gave us a list of candidates and we picked a lady called Chelsea - at 31 she has 3 kids of her own, has surrogated twice and has donated eggs successfully twice. She's basically the LeBron of making more humans. I had to go to a place in the South Loop and bash one off (note: if you're ever in Chicago and feeling the urge, Vios on Van Buren St has a big stack of Penthouses), they mixed me and Chelsea into a batter and 6 months later the wife looks like she's smuggling Shaq's head up her jumper. 

1 hour ago, Jimmy Shaker said:

One day to go. 

:thumsup2

Really pleased for you and your wife.

2 hours ago, Jimmy Shaker said:

One day to go. 

Great to read that you are almost there, hope everything goes smoothly on Friday.

A lot of this post rings true with my wife and I although we aren't at the IVF stage. After three unsuccessful attempts at IUI my wife was absolutely floored with the medication and her mental health was also off a cliff.  We both like to unwind with plenty of red wine and a takeaway at the weekend but of course that is off limits to keep the weight down etc.

We had two more rounds to go but decided to pause and wait until the new year. Have been on holiday, had a couple of good nights out and it's actually been a bit of an eye opener as to how much this whole process has totally drained us both.

I think I am probably getting to the point where I would actually be slightly relieved if my wife said 'this is too much let's chuck it'.