Pregnancy And Parenting

Thirteen days to go. The experience of being pregnant has been 'fabulous' she says, but even after seven years of IVF to get this point, she's had more than enough and wants him out tout de suite. The lack of sleep for the past month has probably been good training for the coming winter, but she's beginning to creak a bit. 

In other news, the wife has taught her 18-month-old neice to point and say 'baby boy!' whenever she comes into sight of the bump. Now she's pointing and saying it every time she sees mine. 

We’ve been at my son and daughter-in-law for the past year to go on holiday and leave Ava with me and granny, they finally did it. She used to love the heat, but last 3 years it has brought a temp hike and seizures on, a flight she’d struggle with and taken out of her routine there was no way they could go with her. But why should the boys miss out on the holiday abroad experience, just like everyone else. Had a brilliant week with her and learned so much more about her. Technology meant we had mum as are guardian angel on the camera taking us through it. The nights were hard, sleeping with one ear cocked and one eye open, suction sometimes needed, meds, but all worth while when we were sent the pics of their holiday. Woke up to this face every morning was brilliant, truly blessed 

2ACDA61C-FA8F-4FDD-8184-87A9D9EFD280.jpeg

13 hours ago, heedthebaa said:

We’ve been at my son and daughter-in-law for the past year to go on holiday and leave Ava with me and granny, they finally did it. She used to love the heat, but last 3 years it has brought a temp hike and seizures on, a flight she’d struggle with and taken out of her routine there was no way they could go with her. But why should the boys miss out on the holiday abroad experience, just like everyone else. Had a brilliant week with her and learned so much more about her. Technology meant we had mum as are guardian angel on the camera taking us through it. The nights were hard, sleeping with one ear cocked and one eye open, suction sometimes needed, meds, but all worth while when we were sent the pics of their holiday. Woke up to this face every morning was brilliant, truly blessed 

2ACDA61C-FA8F-4FDD-8184-87A9D9EFD280.jpeg

You pair deserve a medal.

Yes, I know she's your granddaughter etc etc, but it's still hard, exhausting (but rewarding) work.

God bless you both.

On 15/10/2022 at 07:38, Aufc said:

Hopefully this doesn’t come across as too bad but does anyone go through stages where you feel like you are not enjoying being a parent? I have two kids (6 and 3). I have a great relationship with them. My kids are early risers (anywhere between 5.30-6). My 3 three old daughter is also going through a stage of getting us up throughout the night (my kids have always been below average sleepers and early risers). It’s maybe the lack of sleep or the fact I’ve had a c**t of a week but has been like this for a few weeks. They are constantly bickering with each other (some other times they are best mates).

However, I feel like I am being a shite dad at the moment and not got much time for them. I also have a very busy job which probably doesn’t help. Took them away for a holiday last week and feel like I need a holiday to recover from the holiday.

They are both amazing kids but f**k it’s hard work eh. Feel like the only thing that keeps me sane sometimes is going to the gym or doing some form of exercise.

Yeah definitely felt like this, I'm far from the most natural father and there's been plenty of times I thought 'why have I done this' and 'I'm just a shite dad' etc... The missus has been immense, without her I'd be fucked, I always struggled with a crying baby, just felt like nothing I did worked. I still have no idea how single parents do it. There was a period of time where all she wanted was her mum and would more or less just cry if left in the room with me, it was fairly horrible. Now she runs in after nursery and gives me a cuddle which I never realised how nice that would feel. 

Anyway, I wouldn't feel bad about thoughts like these, you're definitely not alone. 

On 15/10/2022 at 09:48, scottsdad said:

When my step daughter was 16, her personality changed overnight. You expect this at 13, but with her it was 16. Gone was the sweet, caring girl. She became nasty and horrible, particularly towards her mum. 

I really did not enjoy that time as a parent. I will be honest, we are still not all that close, 10 years on. But things did stabilise. 

Sounds hard going mate, but sadly not uncommon and I often worry about this already. A friend of mine with two girls basically said it's like you lose them for 3 or 4 years in their teens.  

On 16/10/2022 at 11:23, Jacksgranda said:

You pair deserve a medal.

Yes, I know she's your granddaughter etc etc, but it's still hard, exhausting (but rewarding) work.

God bless you both.

I think they’re booked again for May 😂

The days are fine, the nights though are hard to close your eyes. It’s not what’s happening, it’s what might happen. We’ll be better prepared next time 

Anyone seen their babies poo have some grey through it? Last few days her poo has occasionally had grey through it and today it seemed to be getting worse. She's been completely fine and doesn't seem in pain aside from having a fair bit of wind (not really unusual for her). Health visitor wasn't much help, basically just told us to phone the doctors but their phone has been jammed up all day. We haven't changed anything about her food or medicine recently that might've brought it on and my mrs has gone into full panic mode. 

Anyone seen their babies poo have some grey through it? Last few days her poo has occasionally had grey through it and today it seemed to be getting worse. She's been completely fine and doesn't seem in pain aside from having a fair bit of wind (not really unusual for her). Health visitor wasn't much help, basically just told us to phone the doctors but their phone has been jammed up all day. We haven't changed anything about her food or medicine recently that might've brought it on and my mrs has gone into full panic mode. 
Seen some absolutely horrendous colours in it tbh. Most notable green but I don't think grey is an issue either.

6 minutes ago, heedthebaa said:

I think they’re booked again for May 😂

The days are fine, the nights though are hard to close your eyes. It’s not what’s happening, it’s what might happen. We’ll be better prepared next time 

Aye it's the stress levels, sleeping with one eye and one ear open.

10 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Seen some absolutely horrendous colours in it tbh. Most notable green but I don't think grey is an issue either.

Aye, the pictures I've seen online of grey poo we should be worried about look nothing like hers but naturally my mrs is worried its the start of something serious. Hopefully we'll get through to the GP shortly and get reassurance. 

In better news, she laughed for the first time today. I wasn't quite prepared for my heart to melt at 7am but I'll happily have it melt every morning now. 

6 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Aye, the pictures I've seen online of grey poo we should be worried about look nothing like hers but naturally my mrs is worried its the start of something serious. Hopefully we'll get through to the GP shortly and get reassurance. 

In better news, she laughed for the first time today. I wasn't quite prepared for my heart to melt at 7am but I'll happily have it melt every morning now. 

Feed the kid tomato soup. It'll all be red tomorrow.

Whilst I'm in here... My 7 year old will NOT. STOP. TALKING. 

Absolutely fucking relentless stream of verbal diarrhea, couple with climbing over the top of me, space invading, wallowing around on the floor or generally being an absolute rabble. 

2 minutes ago, Amarillo Bairn said:

My 18yo daughter just came out as gay, no suprise to me tbh, when she was about 12 her posters were off Arrianne Grande and never took notice off One Direction etc, her mum isn't taking it well though, Says she's to girly and doesnt look like a lesbian,and going through a phase,, as long as she happy im happy can't get that through to her mum though

My cousin came out as gay years ago. His mum patted his hand, smiled and said "Don't worry. It's just a phase". Complete denial. Took her ages to get to grips with it. My uncle was the opposite, very supportive. Like you, it wasn't really news to him and he had an inkling. 

Happiness is all that counts. 

Whilst I'm in here... My 7 year old will NOT. STOP. TALKING. 

Absolutely fucking relentless stream of verbal diarrhea, couple with climbing over the top of me, space invading, wallowing around on the floor or generally being an absolute rabble. 

Last Friday was my last week of taking our local beavers group. We finished with a night hike, and all of them who are around your childs age did not stop talking all the way from start to finish. And just like you say, they were just opening their mouths and saying the words in their heads, in no particular order, so it must be an age thing.

18 hours ago, Jacksgranda said:

Aye it's the stress levels, sleeping with one eye and one ear open.

We did respite care or share the care, for a wee fella who was fed by a tube down his nose. My wife was a bit worried about this, she had to go on a special course to learn how to insert it/clear it etc if it came loose or blocked - took to it like a duck to water, but you were lying awake half the night, waiting for something to go wrong. He was blind and they said he was deaf, but he recognised her voice (the same as he recognised his granda's voice when he came to collect him) when she talked to him and was giving him his massage, skin cream, changing his nappy.

Then there was the wee fella who had an irregular heart rhythm, and whose heart would stop, he was wired up to an alarm. Other than that there was nothing wrong with him (apart from his home background, perhaps). Anyway, I was bouncing him on my knee one night and he was laughing away when the alarm went off. Panic stations! Faulty alarm.

My cousin came out as gay years ago. His mum patted his hand, smiled and said "Don't worry. It's just a phase". Complete denial. Took her ages to get to grips with it. My uncle was the opposite, very supportive. Like you, it wasn't really news to him and he had an inkling. 
Happiness is all that counts. 
Yeah im actually more shocked at her mums reaction tbh, never knew my ex was so narrow-minded, my daughter seems really happy and we had a good chat, at least she knows I'm supportive of any decision she makes, sorry I worded that wrong it's not really a decision she made to be gay.

5 hours ago, Grant228 said:

The little one came on Monday, fair fucks to any female members of PnB who have went through labour, after 26 hours of it she asked for a C section. Despite being a week early he came out at 9lb 2oz, the midwife said it was absolutely the correct decision to have a C section, no danger he was coming out natural! 

20221017_132412.thumb.jpg.b66006d383679ccc7d7928ba982181d8.jpg

Behold Baby Hamish, the reason why I'm awake at 4 in the morning 😭

Congratulations to you both!