Pregnancy And Parenting

20 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

Took my step daughter to the hospital last night. She is 26, 7 months pregnant and has been coughing up blood. Her GP checked her blood oxygen yesterday afternoon and right away said she needed to go in. 

Doing tests today. 

All the best.

The bairn had a great time yesterday at her cousin's birthday party. They were playing "Duck, duck, goose", and she just ran round and round the circle no matter whose turn it was.

Edited by Jacksgranda
sllepnig

Took my step daughter home yesterday. 

They did all kinds of tests. MRI, CT, X-rays, blood tests, lung capacity, the lot. The upshot is that she has scarring on her lungs. This could be as a result of asthma as a child, or as a result of when she had Covid. The doctors think the latter. 

Being pregnant is exacerbating this, so there is talk now of inducing her at 37 weeks so that she can start taking some seriously strong steroids at that time. 

In any case, her oxygen levels keep going very low, she still coughs up blood and her voice is very croaky.

9 hours ago, scottsdad said:

Spooky. Last Friday at 3 am my youngest woke up feeling sick. It never came to anything except tiredness. 

Today, 3 am and she is up again feeling sick. 

Feeling sick better than being sick. When it comes to children anyway. 

But yeah, probably a demon, no point in fighting it. 

9 hours ago, scottsdad said:

Spooky. Last Friday at 3 am my youngest woke up feeling sick. It never came to anything except tiredness. 

Today, 3 am and she is up again feeling sick. 

The boy was ill a few weeks ago with whatever stomach bug was doing the rounds. Mostly cleared up after 2 days of spewing pretty much everything straight back up, but the following 3 days he woke up at almost exactly 12:30 every night and spewed his dinner up, having been fine all day and evening. Awkward wee b*****d that he is.

Hopefully this doesn’t come across as too bad but does anyone go through stages where you feel like you are not enjoying being a parent? I have two kids (6 and 3). I have a great relationship with them. My kids are early risers (anywhere between 5.30-6). My 3 three old daughter is also going through a stage of getting us up throughout the night (my kids have always been below average sleepers and early risers). It’s maybe the lack of sleep or the fact I’ve had a c**t of a week but has been like this for a few weeks. They are constantly bickering with each other (some other times they are best mates).

However, I feel like I am being a shite dad at the moment and not got much time for them. I also have a very busy job which probably doesn’t help. Took them away for a holiday last week and feel like I need a holiday to recover from the holiday.

They are both amazing kids but f**k it’s hard work eh. Feel like the only thing that keeps me sane sometimes is going to the gym or doing some form of exercise.

Hopefully this doesn’t come across as too bad but does anyone go through stages where you feel like you are not enjoying being a parent? I have two kids (6 and 3). I have a great relationship with them. My kids are early risers (anywhere between 5.30-6). My 3 three old daughter is also going through a stage of getting us up throughout the night (my kids have always been below average sleepers and early risers). It’s maybe the lack of sleep or the fact I’ve had a c**t of a week but has been like this for a few weeks. They are constantly bickering with each other (some other times they are best mates).

However, I feel like I am being a shite dad at the moment and not got much time for them. I also have a very busy job which probably doesn’t help. Took them away for a holiday last week and feel like I need a holiday to recover from the holiday.

They are both amazing kids but f**k it’s hard work eh. Feel like the only thing that keeps me sane sometimes is going to the gym or doing some form of exercise.
Think that's just part of parenting? My two are the exact same age as yours come January and similar in that they get on brilliantly for large parts but they are both irritating in that the youngest will randomly scream if we are in the other room to get the older one in bother. But I've also caught the older one sneakily winding the youngest one up. Some days if they are in arsehole mode I feel all I do is shout and tell them off. I later feel guilty for doing so.

Is there any way you can go back to sleep once your Mrs is up? Or take it in shifts so one of you can have a decent nap if they are feeling tired? It does sound like lack of sleep is your biggest problem and it's totally understandable. We've been lucky that both ours are lazy wee shites who love sleep. But on rare days when they've been up early for whatever reason it's a total game changer to how I feel during the day.

Think that's just part of parenting? My two are the exact same age as yours come January and similar in that they get on brilliantly for large parts but they are both irritating in that the youngest will randomly scream if we are in the other room to get the older one in bother. But I've also caught the older one sneakily winding the youngest one up. Some days if they are in arsehole mode I feel all I do is shout and tell them off. I later feel guilty for doing so.

Is there any way you can go back to sleep once your Mrs is up? Or take it in shifts so one of you can have a decent nap if they are feeling tired? It does sound like lack of sleep is your biggest problem and it's totally understandable. We've been lucky that both ours are lazy wee shites who love sleep. But on rare days when they've been up early for whatever reason it's a total game changer to how I feel during the day.

Aye I’ve had lack of sleep for 6 years. My wee boy was such a terrible sleeper that I was Googling early signs of dementia as I was forgetting stuff. To be honest, I don’t mind 6am during weeks as I’m in the office for 7am but wouldn’t mind a bit longer ag the weekend to recover from busy week. Even if they sleep solidly till 6am, it’s a game changer for me.

It’s maybe just the stage they are that whereby they hound you constantly for attention when, sometimes, it’s nice for them to just play themselves. Then I feel bad for saying that as I’m away early in the morning and home later at night during the week so I don’t see them a huge deal. I have a great relationship with them, especially my son who is like my other limb, but feel they don’t get the best of me sometimes.

I generally let my wife have the long lies as I’m a nice guy like that

Aye I’ve had lack of sleep for 6 years. My wee boy was such a terrible sleeper that I was Googling early signs of dementia as I was forgetting stuff. To be honest, I don’t mind 6am during weeks as I’m in the office for 7am but wouldn’t mind a bit longer ag the weekend to recover from busy week. Even if they sleep solidly till 6am, it’s a game changer for me.

It’s maybe just the stage they are that whereby they hound you constantly for attention when, sometimes, it’s nice for them to just play themselves. Then I feel bad for saying that as I’m away early in the morning and home later at night during the week so I don’t see them a huge deal. I have a great relationship with them, especially my son who is like my other limb, but feel they don’t get the best of me sometimes.

I generally let my wife have the long lies as I’m a nice guy like that
I think if you're feeling like this you should maybe discuss it with your Mrs and ask for the odd lie in to get some catch up.

I'm really unlucky in that my Mrs doesn't mind getting up in the morning so I definitely get most of the lie ins. But every so often she needs a decent sleep and I'll take the "early shift". I suspect your Mrs would understand if you told her how you're feeling.

Mine are 14, 11 and 9.

My 14 year old fucked off to live with dad, I was informed by text from my ex. I've still no idea why and the teenager isn't speaking to me.

The other two are either best friends or typical bitchy girls driving each other crazy.

There are days I really don't enjoy parenting, when they're just nipping at each other it's exhausting.

6 months in and I think we just hit a week long shitstorm that covered a sleep regression, a growth spurt, a dodgy stomach after starting solids and his first teeth coming through, all at once. The health visitor is fairly sure they all happened anyway.

We, somehow, got through that week mainly thanks to help from parents, but we now have an issue where hes awake almost bang on halfway through the night in pain with his teeth now and its impossible to then settle him for any length of time. Naps during the day in his cot are almost always bang on 30 mins.

We've both had spells of hating the little thing, mixed in with joy as hes turning into a proper child now with a personality. Nice to know, after reading this, the random bag of emotions will weigh on our backs for the next 10+ years 😂

I think if you're feeling like this you should maybe discuss it with your Mrs and ask for the odd lie in to get some catch up.

I'm really unlucky in that my Mrs doesn't mind getting up in the morning so I definitely get most of the lie ins. But every so often she needs a decent sleep and I'll take the "early shift". I suspect your Mrs would understand if you told her how you're feeling.

See tbh I don’t actually mind the early mornings. I am a morning person. It’s just when they are up throughout the night and then get up early, they end up being really difficult and hard work. Always seems to be the weekend as well when, after a busy week at work, I want them to be happy and content.

The joys of parenting. I tell myself everything is a phase

2 hours ago, Aufc said:

When my step daughter was 16, her personality changed overnight. You expect this at 13, but with her it was 16. Gone was the sweet, caring girl. She became nasty and horrible, particularly towards her mum. 

I really did not enjoy that time as a parent. I will be honest, we are still not all that close, 10 years on. But things did stabilise.