Jump to content

Pregnancy And Parenting


Recommended Posts

52 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

Greatgrandson visited last night. He was a wee bit tired, I think the heat had tired him out, but he was in good enough form, sat on his mother's knee, eating chocolate biscuits and throwing soft toys about, playing with his first cousins once removed. As soon as dad came in the door after cutting our grass he was ready for the road.

 

6 minutes ago, arab_joe said:

ob_033a67_cousin-explainer-4-2048x.jpg

Substitute greatgrandson's dad for "YOU", and that chart explains it.

I always used to call them second cousins but now I have had it explained to me (for the umpteenth time, I might add), I use the correct terminology.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

My youngest has her primary school visit today. It’s a small school and a lot of the parents know each other, for better or worse. 

Some of the other parents are complete arseholes, and I avoid them. They are obsessed with the school and try to constantly be in about its business and there’s a horrible gossipy school gate culture. 

Anyway, another wee girl from some particularly tricky parents were putting their youngest in at the same time for her visit. 

Problem is, it’s been all over the internet that this child has COVID. This was announced on social media on Sunday, complete with confirmation that she has a temperature. I’m annoyed but my wife is totally raging.

Are we right to be annoyed? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Thorongil said:

My youngest has her primary school visit today. It’s a small school and a lot of the parents know each other, for better or worse. 

Some of the other parents are complete arseholes, and I avoid them. They are obsessed with the school and try to constantly be in about its business and there’s a horrible gossipy school gate culture. 

Anyway, another wee girl from some particularly tricky parents were putting their youngest in at the same time for her visit. 

Problem is, it’s been all over the internet that this child has COVID. This was announced on social media on Sunday, complete with confirmation that she has a temperature. I’m annoyed but my wife is totally raging.

Are we right to be annoyed? 

I'd say that you do have a right to be annoyed but at the same time don't believe everything people post on social media. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, FK1Bairn said:

I'd say that you do have a right to be annoyed but at the same time don't believe everything people post on social media. 

The parents were the ones posting 2 days ago that the kid had covid. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Can see both sides tbh. If my wee one had asthma or something I'd maybe be a bit pissed off but I'm personally at the "we have to live with it" stage. A colleague put on our group chat a couple of days ago that he had tested positive. I was in the same room as him that day and I haven't bothered to take a test.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 21/06/2022 at 23:02, 19QOS19 said:

Can see both sides tbh. If my wee one had asthma or something I'd maybe be a bit pissed off but I'm personally at the "we have to live with it" stage. A colleague put on our group chat a couple of days ago that he had tested positive. I was in the same room as him that day and I haven't bothered to take a test.

My b-i-l tested positive, he hasn't been in the house but his wife was, so far she's clear. Myself & my wife tested negative yesterday (we both had appointments at the GP).

On a completely unrelated note, just went over 4 different names before I got the right one when addressing granddaughter nr 8. Very reminiscent of my auntie Jenny.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Jacksgranda said:

My b-i-l tested positive, he hasn't been in the house but his wife was, so far she's clear. Myself & my wife tested negative yesterday (we both had appointments at the GP).

On a completely unrelated note, just went over 4 different names before I got the right one when addressing granddaughter nr 8. Very reminiscent of my auntie Jenny.

I got it in early April. Didn't have any of the breath shortness or fever, just felt like I'd been hit by a bus and basically slept for four days. Wife and kid both managed to avoid it. And then both get it of their own volition about 3 weeks later. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

My youngest daughter will be home in 10 minutes, and that'll be her done with primary school. 
A strange feeling not to have kids of that age any more. 
After 4 years on the belt of going to the nursery every day, il be doing my last pickup from there today. Youngest be going to p1 next year. Will genuinely miss their nursery teachers.

Thing about the nursery is theres always loads of stuff blowing about that gets in your eyes.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 20/06/2022 at 11:18, The Moonster said:

Aye, she felt guilty having to stop breastfeeding on Thursday but now she sees the difference in the baby it's just a no brainer. The midwives are all brilliant and have been fully supportive but we also had a specific breastfeeding women out to the house and whilst she was lovely, she definitely was of the mind to keep her breastfeeding in some capacity and it became a bit of a war between the midwife saying "don't listen to her" and the breastfeeding woman saying "oh its great for your baby if you can keep it going even if its just now and then". I also think the fact we hadn't been to a single ante-natal class (all classes off for "covid reasons" and we didn't have much option for private classes) it didn't really give her the opportunity to talk to people who have been through it. 

Wean just been weighed this morning and she's up on her birth weight after losing 9% in the first few days, so we're delighted. 

 

Good to hear things are looking up mate - that must’ve been a horrendous few days but It’s amazing how resilient they are eh?

Can relate to the breastfeeding issue - my wife has always been of the mindset of “give it a try and see how it goes” and she’s had her ups and downs over the last couple of weeks when breastfeeding. He’s got all the colostrum and a lot of early breastfeeding which I’ve said is already great, but the wee man can be latched on for over an hour, seems to feed and is still hungry, which really upsets her. I find it to be a bit of a challenge too, because my (male) logic says “well let’s just give him formula” given it’s worked well also, but there’s definitley something at play which makes women a bit more emotional about being able to breastfeed. When we’ve gone back to the formula she’s always crept back into going back to the breast after a day or two, it works, then she gets worried and the cycle starts again.

Other than that he’s doing great - was 5lb 1oz the other day so as much as he’s tiny, he’s putting it on!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Andy Dufresne said:

My wife and I are gettng  our1st night out together in nearly 4 years at the end of next month.

 

Plenty of time to think of something to get you out of it before then.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Scary moment last night at the Mrs's nana's. I was talking to the husband in the kitchen next to the livingroom where the brats were sitting watching tv. They had been quiet for ages when suddenly the youngest started making a bizarre coughing sound and began crying. Went in to discover her faced all screwed up and realised she had ate something she shouldn't have. Started to pat her back before realising it was more serious than a jaggy crisp. She was really struggling. Looked in her mouth and couldn't see anything. Lifted her and tipped her to the side and started hammering her back and she soon stopped making noise and started to turn purple which was extremely terrifying. It was only for about 2/3 seconds (felt like hours) before she started to cough and cry and bit more normally. Still couldn't see anything though and she was coughing so much she was going to be sick. Held her over the sink and continued to hit her back until she threw up and in among the sickness was a 20p piece ffs.

Just a bizarre experience all round. She's never been one for putting coins in her mouth and is well past (we thought!) the stage of tasting everything with her mouth. I can only think she put it in her mouth and it's accidently slipped into her throat rather than her attempting to eat it. Was pretty calm throughout and even after the adrenaline settled I was pretty chilled about it, instinct just kind of took over. It could have been so much worse and if she hadn't made that weird sound/it had lodged straight away then I wouldn't have walked through.

Social services would have been all over us as well!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Scary moment last night at the Mrs's nana's. I was talking to the husband in the kitchen next to the livingroom where the brats were sitting watching tv. They had been quiet for ages when suddenly the youngest started making a bizarre coughing sound and began crying. Went in to discover her faced all screwed up and realised she had ate something she shouldn't have. Started to pat her back before realising it was more serious than a jaggy crisp. She was really struggling. Looked in her mouth and couldn't see anything. Lifted her and tipped her to the side and started hammering her back and she soon stopped making noise and started to turn purple which was extremely terrifying. It was only for about 2/3 seconds (felt like hours) before she started to cough and cry and bit more normally. Still couldn't see anything though and she was coughing so much she was going to be sick. Held her over the sink and continued to hit her back until she threw up and in among the sickness was a 20p piece ffs.

Just a bizarre experience all round. She's never been one for putting coins in her mouth and is well past (we thought!) the stage of tasting everything with her mouth. I can only think she put it in her mouth and it's accidently slipped into her throat rather than her attempting to eat it. Was pretty calm throughout and even after the adrenaline settled I was pretty chilled about it, instinct just kind of took over. It could have been so much worse and if she hadn't made that weird sound/it had lodged straight away then I wouldn't have walked through.

Social services would have been all over us as well!

Scary stuff.

Youngest grandchild has a syndrome where everything goes into the mouth and is thoroughly chewed causing horrendous problems, most youngsters would spit out a lot of what she tastes/swallows, but she has started to settle a bit, but still needs watched constantly.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Scary moment last night at the Mrs's nana's. I was talking to the husband in the kitchen next to the livingroom where the brats were sitting watching tv. They had been quiet for ages when suddenly the youngest started making a bizarre coughing sound and began crying. Went in to discover her faced all screwed up and realised she had ate something she shouldn't have. Started to pat her back before realising it was more serious than a jaggy crisp. She was really struggling. Looked in her mouth and couldn't see anything. Lifted her and tipped her to the side and started hammering her back and she soon stopped making noise and started to turn purple which was extremely terrifying. It was only for about 2/3 seconds (felt like hours) before she started to cough and cry and bit more normally. Still couldn't see anything though and she was coughing so much she was going to be sick. Held her over the sink and continued to hit her back until she threw up and in among the sickness was a 20p piece ffs.

Just a bizarre experience all round. She's never been one for putting coins in her mouth and is well past (we thought!) the stage of tasting everything with her mouth. I can only think she put it in her mouth and it's accidently slipped into her throat rather than her attempting to eat it. Was pretty calm throughout and even after the adrenaline settled I was pretty chilled about it, instinct just kind of took over. It could have been so much worse and if she hadn't made that weird sound/it had lodged straight away then I wouldn't have walked through.

Social services would have been all over us as well!

How is she today, any change?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

That's us just past 12 weeks and I think we've hit the big sleep regression everyone goes on about.

Been getting 6/7 hours sleep no bother for weeks, including naps during the day alone, then bang, won't even entertain his cot now and is virtually up constantly during the night. 

Looking forward to this next few weeks 😭

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The Bairn was down at the weekend, was in great form. Went over to my wife and said "Granny I love you", sat and smiled and waved at me.  She was a great colour, the best I've seen her looking since her first spell in hospital.

She starts play school in September, 2 days a week, that'll be fun, her big sister starts Primary One, her bigger sister starts second year in secondary school, and her biggest sister starts university. All change!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...