Jump to content

Pregnancy And Parenting


Recommended Posts

My sons 13 now and in S1. Apart from ensuring there's food in and pulling him up.on odd slightly inappropriate joke he heard. He lives.in his room. Is this normal? 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/01/2022 at 09:14, Rugster said:

That'll definitely happen. One in particular gave me a right fright when my oldest was about two. Header off the couch, landed on her face and flipped over. Looked like her head stayed where it was and the body went right over. I thought she'd broken her neck. She was up trying the same thing 10 minutes later.

 

Our 2 have been trying to out do each other to see how many stairs they can jump off without a broken neck.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

My sons 13 now and in S1. Apart from ensuring there's food in and pulling him up.on odd slightly inappropriate joke he heard. He lives.in his room. Is this normal? 
 

My two (12&14) are the same, although the youngest has been going out more often. I think the problem my oldest has is that his pals aren’t out as often as they used to be. It sounds “yer da” but, Because they can play with each other on the computers, they don’t feel the need to leave the house.
Although I do like jack dees take on that. “He gets to play with his pals, but we don’t have to have them in the house”
Each time one of them has a pal in, they just end up going and annoying each other like they are trying to show off.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, RH33 said:

My sons 13 now and in S1. Apart from ensuring there's food in and pulling him up.on odd slightly inappropriate joke he heard. He lives.in his room. Is this normal? 

 

My kids are the same. My son is 16 and comes home from school, goes online and games with his pals. I end up making him spend time with us for an hour or two every night, either watching something or playing a board game. Just don't want him turning unto a complete recluse. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 19/01/2022 at 07:57, Dons_1988 said:

First day of nursery today.

I’m going to miss being able to feed myself. 

Get wired into the vitamins, get yourself some Vicks first defence and get ready for plague after plague. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, thistledo said:

Get wired into the vitamins, get yourself some Vicks first defence and get ready for plague after plague. 

The ultimate test of endurance where you’re sent multiple plagues yet you can’t afford to buy any remedies for them. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 24/01/2022 at 17:22, Dons_1988 said:

The ultimate test of endurance where you’re sent multiple plagues yet you can’t afford to buy any remedies for them. 

It really is, like a war of attrition, I recall being ill for like 2 months on and off. Genuinely rate first defence for limiting the effects of cold symptoms. It's better now, I think I've completed winter colds and bugs.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm sure I have said this before but when my son was a baby he went to a nursery, and as @thistledo says caught every bug going around. Colds, ear infections (the absolute worst), foot & mouth, stomach bugs, the lot. We burned through a lot of annual leave taking time off with him when the nursery sent him home. 

Now, he just doesn't get ill. Everyone else in the house can catch a cold and he'll be the one who doesn't. In fact this happened just a couple of weeks ago. He is in fifth year of high school now and hasn't missed a single day of high school through illness. 

My only advice for @Dons_1988 - calpol and the ibuprofen version. Every 2 hours, alternate what you give the wee one. And when it is the inevitable ear infection, do not take the kid outside at all. A wee gust of wind and the baby will scream like you can't believe. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Since my wife will be working from home when her 18 month maternity leave ends, we have decided we are going to try not sending our daughter to daycare and just have her here while we work, before my wife went on leave, it seemed like she had long periods of not having too much to do, so fingers crossed that's the case. I'm sure it's not going to be easy but its either that or pay the same amount of money we spend on rent per month to send her to daycare. We would be working just to pay for daycare. 

The province of Ontario is the only one yet to sign an agreement with Ottawa to reduce childcare costs, probably in no small part thanks to have a Tory government. All the more reason to move out of this province as soon as we can. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

My boy wasn't himself yesterday with a bit of a fever and loss of appetite. I noticed a spot on his forehead last night, woke up this morning and saw a few more on his face. 

Needless to say he has chickenpox. 

Does anybody have tips in dealing with a child with chickenpox? Already got the Calamine cream and antihistamines 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Wee one's sleeping is still massively inconsistent. Some nights it's fine and some nights it's hell of earth. The bad nights she's just inconsolable unless me or her mum get up with her or she sleeps in our bed. I can't work out if it's pain related, feeling unwell or scared of something. Trying calpol and back to bed doesn't work anyway. 

She's almost at 18 months. I am very tired. Hoping this isn't uncommon and someone will come along to reassure this will pass. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

50 minutes ago, thistledo said:

Wee one's sleeping is still massively inconsistent. Some nights it's fine and some nights it's hell of earth. The bad nights she's just inconsolable unless me or her mum get up with her or she sleeps in our bed. I can't work out if it's pain related, feeling unwell or scared of something. Trying calpol and back to bed doesn't work anyway. 

She's almost at 18 months. I am very tired. Hoping this isn't uncommon and someone will come along to reassure this will pass. 

My wife watches a lot of baby Youtubers and I've heard the 18 month sleep regression being mentioned as one of the hardest, hoping for you like most sleep regressions it only last a few weeks.

My daughter is 17 months and her sleeping at night hasn't been great since a brief period when she was 4 months old and slept through the night for about a week. She rarely sleeps for long in her crib and usually ends up in the middle of our bed, leads to some nights of me sleeping (or trying to sleep) with part of me hanging over the edge of the bed, I'm hoping there comes a point soon where she is sleeping through the night again, right now it seems a long way off though. 

In happier news, Isla still loves her sled, sent her down a hill yesterday and she got a little off course, hit part of a ramp someone had made in the snow, sled tipped to one side, came back down with a big bump and kept going. Just before she hit I had visions of hospital visits and visit from child protection services, of course when I caught up with her at the bottom of the hill, she had the biggest grin and wanted to go again, I however called an end to downhill for the day. 

 

Sunday.jpg

Edited by Torpar
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Torpar said:

My wife watches a lot of baby Youtubers and I've heard the 18 month sleep regression being mentioned as one of the hardest, hoping for you like most sleep regressions it only last a few weeks.

My daughter is 17 months and her sleeping at night hasn't been great since a brief period when she was 4 months old and slept through the night for about a week. She rarely sleeps for long in her crib and usually ends up in the middle of our bed, leads to some nights of me sleeping (or trying to sleep) with part of me hanging over the edge of the bed, I'm hoping there comes a point soon where she is sleeping through the night again, right now it seems a long way off though. 

In happier news, Isla still loves her sled, sent her down a hill yesterday and she got a little off course, hit part of a ramp someone had made in the snow, sled tipped to one side, came back down with a big bump and kept going. Just before she hit I had visions of hospital visits and visit from child protection services, of course when I caught up with her at the bottom of the hill, she had the biggest grin and wanted to go again, I however called an end to downhill for the day. 

Sunday.jpg

 

I would absolutely agree, it's awful, if that's what it is. We always kind of left her for a while when she was younger to have a bit of a cry and moan, then re-settle and it worked. We tried the same with this but just doesn't work, tried getting up at whatever time she woke to see if she would realise it was sleep or you get up and not our bed. It didn't work. So like you I'm doing the hanging off the edge of the bed or like last night bursting for a pee, but unable to get up as she's just fallen asleep on me and don't want to risk waking her yet. Well this is reassuring anyway, hopefully we may both get some improvements in the coming months. 

Cracking pic, would love some snow to take the wee one sledging!  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

When my youngest was about 18 months, she stayed with my folks for the night whilst the wife and I went for a night out. She had been great at sleeping before then, but the disruption to her routine knocked it out of her.

What we ended up doing took weeks but it worked. I would take her to bed, read her a story and then switch off the light. And I would sit next to her bed until she was asleep. As she drifted off she would often wake herself up to check I was there. 

Over the weeks I moved further and further away, and nearer the door.  Then I took the plunge and said something like "I need to help your mum with something and will be back in 10 minutes" and left. I came back to check on her and she was awake, so I said I would be back in another 10 minutes. And left. 

Pretty quickly we were back to her going to bed and going to sleep. I reckon I could have done all this in the space of a week. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

45 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

When my youngest was about 18 months, she stayed with my folks for the night whilst the wife and I went for a night out. She had been great at sleeping before then, but the disruption to her routine knocked it out of her.

What we ended up doing took weeks but it worked. I would take her to bed, read her a story and then switch off the light. And I would sit next to her bed until she was asleep. As she drifted off she would often wake herself up to check I was there. 

Over the weeks I moved further and further away, and nearer the door.  Then I took the plunge and said something like "I need to help your mum with something and will be back in 10 minutes" and left. I came back to check on her and she was awake, so I said I would be back in another 10 minutes. And left. 

Pretty quickly we were back to her going to bed and going to sleep. I reckon I could have done all this in the space of a week. 

None of this would have happened in the 70s.......................

Link to comment
Share on other sites

54 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

When my youngest was about 18 months, she stayed with my folks for the night whilst the wife and I went for a night out. She had been great at sleeping before then, but the disruption to her routine knocked it out of her.

What we ended up doing took weeks but it worked. I would take her to bed, read her a story and then switch off the light. And I would sit next to her bed until she was asleep. As she drifted off she would often wake herself up to check I was there. 

Over the weeks I moved further and further away, and nearer the door.  Then I took the plunge and said something like "I need to help your mum with something and will be back in 10 minutes" and left. I came back to check on her and she was awake, so I said I would be back in another 10 minutes. And left. 

Pretty quickly we were back to her going to bed and going to sleep. I reckon I could have done all this in the space of a week. 

Interesting, her mum is down next week, we're very tempted to go for a night away and let her look after her that night. I'd read that not changing routine at this stage is important and what you've said seems to validate that. So seems like a night away is out the window. 

The actual getting her to sleep is quite easy, it's the waking up during the night with extreme sadness and not wanting to go back to bed is a nightmare, especially if it happens at like midnight. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...