Pregnancy And Parenting

23 hours ago, Jacksgranda said:

Great grandson visited yesterday, walking about the living room quite the thing, although he was more interested in his cousin's* crisps.

* = second cousin (or whatever relation his great aunt's children are to him

11 hours ago, die hard doonhamer said:

Cousin once removed. A second cousin is the child of your cousin once removed. 

4 minutes ago, die hard doonhamer said:

Your cousin’s children are your cousins once removed. They are your children’s second cousins. 

Couldn't be a cousin once removed then as they are not his cousin's children, they are his great aunt's children (their mother is the aunt of his father).

2 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

Couldn't be a cousin once removed then as they are not his cousin's children, they are his great aunt's children (their mother is the aunt of his father).

It’s his father’s cousin then? So cousin removed by a generation (or, cousin once removed). 

Been making inquiries to local childcare places as my wife is due to go back to work in March, just been quoted $2325.01. for the first month and registration fee at one place. Childcare prices in this city are a sick joke! We will likely have to go with an unlicensed home day care which is cheaper but means you can not apply for the provincial subsidy. The plan is to move to Saskatchewan in April/May time, a province that has already agreed a reduced childcare cost programme and aims to eventually have a maximum cost of $10 a day. But is could be a few months of building some solid credit card debt! 

In happier news, I bought Isla a sled for Christmas but wasn't sure how she would take to it, turns out she loves it! We'll get home, take off all her snow clothes then she will go and sit in the sled again, some girl! 

Sled.jpg

Today was a day of celebration here as we no longer need to pay nursery fees ever again as youngest has now reached the 30 free hour limit. Wooo fucking hooo!

Tbf the nursery he is at it is £4.50 an hour or something like that so hasn't been breaking the bank but will be nice to have that £500 every month again. 

When Scott was a baby he went to nursery and the cost was, if I remember right, £800 pcm. This was in 2005/6. Tax credits covered 70% of it at the time and we had to find the rest. A fair old chunk of the wages every month! Without tax credits I'm not sure what we would have done. 

On the swings and roundabouts though, he caught every bug going when at nursery (Foot & Mouth, gastroenteritis, cold, flu, ear infections, the lot). Since then he's hardly ever been ill. Not had a single day off school sick since he went to secondary school and is in fifth year now. 

Our boy goes to nursery two days a week and we don’t pay a penny since he turned three. Due to his birthday we are going to defer entry to P1 for a year as well, that’s all paid for as well. His meals are even paid for thanks to an Edinburgh Council scheme for healthy eating in nurseries providing all the food.

You might question if subsidising a load of middle class, relatively high earning families in one of the more affluent areas of Edinburgh is the best use of scarce government money but I can’t see anyone ever taking it away.

50 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

Our boy goes to nursery two days a week and we don’t pay a penny since he turned three. Due to his birthday we are going to defer entry to P1 for a year as well, that’s all paid for as well. His meals are even paid for thanks to an Edinburgh Council scheme for healthy eating in nurseries providing all the food.

You might question if subsidising a load of middle class, relatively high earning families in one of the more affluent areas of Edinburgh is the best use of scarce government money but I can’t see anyone ever taking it away.

I defered entry for my son, he didn't fall in the automatic age group but it was best thing I ever did.

Youngest grandson (probably) won't be going to school this week as his taxi driver and his wife have tested positive. Luckily the grandson had a hospital appointment on Friday, so wasn't at school. Unless they can source another taxi at short notice.

Long lies all round!

18 hours ago, Jacksgranda said:

Youngest grandson (probably) won't be going to school this week as his taxi driver and his wife have tested positive. Luckily the grandson had a hospital appointment on Friday, so wasn't at school. Unless they can source another taxi at short notice.

Long lies all round!

Sounds to me like someone has told you all this, dropping a big hint that you've not picked up...

7 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

Sounds to me like someone has told you all this, dropping a big hint that you've not picked up...

No way am I doing a 60 mile round trip twice a day in the rush hour.

On 09/01/2022 at 02:19, scottsdad said:

2 am and my youngest is up, spewing near (but not into) the toilet. 

Terrible aim. 

My nearly 18month old was up from 3:30am on Sunday morning, think she's really trying hard to work on her speech, so she wakes up at mad hours practicing. Same thing happened when she was learning to walk. Put her in our bed, but didn't get any further sleep, at about 5am I could feel her flicking my ear and laughing about it. 

5 hours ago, thistledo said:

My nearly 18month old was up from 3:30am on Sunday morning, think she's really trying hard to work on her speech, so she wakes up at mad hours practicing. Same thing happened when she was learning to walk. Put her in our bed, but didn't get any further sleep, at about 5am I could feel her flicking my ear and laughing about it. 

For a year we want them to walk and talk,then for the next 15 years to shut up and sit down.

13 hours ago, Andy Dufresne said:

For a year we want them to walk and talk,then for the next 15 years to shut up and sit down.

Yeah I think it could be going that way. 

She's determined to take a flying leap off the couch as well, just no fear of consequences.