Pregnancy And Parenting

On 26/05/2021 at 15:37, Dons_1988 said:

Miss dons_2021 was born this morning happy and healthy. 

My wife was amazing and I am absolutely besotted already. What an experience. 

It's a life-changer, A96 and in a good way.  Wee weans are absolutely fascinating and they only get better as they get older.

Best wishes to you, your Mrs and Wee Tina.

17 hours ago, The_Kincardine said:

It's a life-changer, A96 and in a good way.  Wee weans are absolutely fascinating and they only get better as they get older.

Best wishes to you, your Mrs and Wee Tina.

Thank you sir 

On 30/05/2021 at 23:39, keithgy said:

It is now 15 months since the kids have seen their mother.

Sorry I don't know the history of this. But I have something of a similar experience, but from the other side. 

When I met my now-wife, her daughter lived with her ex-husband. Things started out OK, she stayed with us every second weekend and half the holidays. Things changed when we went to pick her up one day and casually mentioned that we had got married. I don't know what trigger this sent to her dad, but after that he stopped our access completely. We went to court and all that jazz but there was a time (again, about 15 months or so) when we didn't see her. We saw her when she was 4 and a half, then again when she was almost 6. That's a big chunk of time to miss. 

This is all ancient history now of course. But over the years we missed out on huge chunks. I won't go in to all the ins and outs but we eventually got to the place where we thought "she'll come to us when she grows up". We became these strangers who would sometimes visit but had no real connection with her. 

Fast forward to last Christmas and she moved out of her dad's place and now lives 5 minutes from us. There's still a big emotional distance though. We saw her yesterday and to be blunt, we have small talk and not much else. 

So mum and baby are back in hospital tonight. Feeding hasn’t been going well and our wee one isn’t gaining weight as we’d hope. 

This has maybe been the hardest fortnight we’ve had as a couple. Sounds stupid but I never appreciated the pressure of breast feeding and the unbelievable stress that comes with it not going well. The wife has given absolutely everything but she’s exhausted and devastated in equal measure. 

Baby will be fine, I’m confident of that but hard to watch it all unfold. 

So mum and baby are back in hospital tonight. Feeding hasn’t been going well and our wee one isn’t gaining weight as we’d hope. 
This has maybe been the hardest fortnight we’ve had as a couple. Sounds stupid but I never appreciated the pressure of breast feeding and the unbelievable stress that comes with it not going well. The wife has given absolutely everything but she’s exhausted and devastated in equal measure. 
That's absolutely shite, mate. Hang in there.

4 hours ago, Dons_1988 said:

My partner and I went tough this when our son was born, he just would not latch on at all, no matter how much she offered it up to him he didn't want to latch on and she didnt seem to be producing a lot of breat milk to expel either, but the breast feeding nazis insisted it was the only way to feed a newborn as it makes them super children or something. my partner was also devastated and starting to get really low because of it, as well as just going through 80 hours of labour and then an emergency section, it was as if the nurses were on a bonus for getting babies to breastfeed and not taking in to consideration the health of the mother.  Eventually enough was enough and we told them to bolt put him on a bottle and he was fine, in fact thriving, he's a healthy happy fit 4 year old in the 91st percentile. thank f**k he didn't breastfeed or he might have been some sort of giant!

lots of babies don't breastfeed doesn't make them any less loved or the mothers less than mothers that do. i was disgusted/angry with they way the nurses pushed for the breastfeeding even though they could see she was drained i'm not surprised that post natal depression is a thing after what i witnessed 

you've got to do what is best for you and family 

my advice buy a perfect prep, share the load on feeding, have a great time bringing  up your child 

8 hours ago, Dons_1988 said:

I had horrendous time feeding my son. Every midwife that visited was judgemental rather than helpful. I spent hours with him on my boob, went to "support" group, again judgy and made me feel like shite.

In the end I bailed out to my folks and saw the health visitor there, she was like you're exhausted, he needs more and formula isn't poison, get a bottle and formula from the coop. I mixed fed him from then on.

When I had my third I nearly died, all the same people were like no don't breast feed your body makes blood ahead of milk. 

I had to have therapy after my second to come to terms with not being able to feed them and how the visiting midwives made me feel.

My son took at least 8 weeks regain birth weight.

And the irony of it all......the one that was bottle fed,  like her brother and sister, gained weight slowly and had them frowning over the bloody percentile sheets.

If you're wife wants to drop me a DM 

On 01/06/2021 at 10:31, scottsdad said:

Sorry I don't know the history of this. But I have something of a similar experience, but from the other side. 

When I met my now-wife, her daughter lived with her ex-husband. Things started out OK, she stayed with us every second weekend and half the holidays. Things changed when we went to pick her up one day and casually mentioned that we had got married. I don't know what trigger this sent to her dad, but after that he stopped our access completely. We went to court and all that jazz but there was a time (again, about 15 months or so) when we didn't see her. We saw her when she was 4 and a half, then again when she was almost 6. That's a big chunk of time to miss. 

This is all ancient history now of course. But over the years we missed out on huge chunks. I won't go in to all the ins and outs but we eventually got to the place where we thought "she'll come to us when she grows up". We became these strangers who would sometimes visit but had no real connection with her. 

Fast forward to last Christmas and she moved out of her dad's place and now lives 5 minutes from us. There's still a big emotional distance though. We saw her yesterday and to be blunt, we have small talk and not much else. 

We haven't seen 2 of the grandchildren for 18 years and thought the same. Didn't happen.

I have an 8 year old boy and a 4 year old girl. They are great and thriving and the future looks bright. 

I will say this though, the baby days and days of having very young children are very, very, very hard. Those going through it just now, you have my solidarity and keep going. You will make it!