Pregnancy And Parenting

Up the hills yesterday to find some snow and took him sledging. Decent wee hill, if you went for it you could easily get above 40kmph. Took it much easier than that with him strapped in a seat in front of me mind you.

At 9 months old he wasn’t even the youngest child there. Not sure he enjoyed it, but he didn’t dislike it, so I guess that’s something.

D6BEE851-CBA5-4596-8805-DD8865C0EE42.jpeg

Edited by Ross.

13 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:
15 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:
My Mrs is only 19 weeks pregnant but thought we'd be organised and look at finances, amount of leave to take, nurseries etc.
The cost of nurseries!!! Fucking hell.

Check your work. A lot of employees run a voucher scheme where you can salary sacrifice and save paying tax on them. Saved me a fortune

It would appear this has been replaced with a government tax-free childcare scheme. Doing a bit of research on that now, so that helps. Cheers.

2 hours ago, Dons_1988 said:

My Mrs is only 19 weeks pregnant but thought we'd be organised and look at finances, amount of leave to take, nurseries etc.

The cost of nurseries!!! Fucking hell.

Also if you find one you like get your application in ASAP as baby places fill up.

Once they are 3 (or 2 on qualifying benefits) you’ll get 1140 hours of free nursery a year.

We are very lucky to have a good local nursery that is really reasonably priced and includes hot meals, nappies, wipes etc. 

I'd start looking now - look at care inspectorate reports, staff turn over, what the cost actually includes, are they flexible with hours (we can add extra hours if you give enough notice), do you pay when child off sick, do they give any holiday weeks in the year (we get 2 weeks holiday with no cost a year plus 2 weeks at Christmas when they close).

2 hours ago, Ross. said:

Up the hills yesterday to find some snow and took him sledging. Decent wee hill, if you went for it you could easily get above 40kmph. Took it much easier than that with him strapped in a seat in front of me mind you.

At 9 months old he wasn’t even the youngest child there. Not sure he enjoyed it, but he didn’t dislike it, so I guess that’s something.

D6BEE851-CBA5-4596-8805-DD8865C0EE42.jpeg

And did he have a very dirty nappy to get changed after that?

1 hour ago, Dons_1988 said:

How far in advance are we talking? We're probably at least a year away from needing it.

Now as then you have piece of mind that you have a place where you are comfortable. The one we used had staff that were older and had been there a long time. Staff turnover in some nurseries can be high and a lot of them are staffed by young just out school with svq as they’re cheap to employ.

Also the ratio of baby and toddlers to adults is lower so there are less places available. 

check both care commission and if you plan on using it for 3-5 too (some private nurseries are partnership so you can use yourn1140 hrs) HMI too.

Your gut feeling will tell you a lot too. Visit a couple times at different times of day. Also look at childminders as sometimes they offer more flexibility and fewer children. 

13 hours ago, Dons_1988 said:

20 week scan this morning.

All healthy and normal, and found out we're having a wee daughter :)

Congratulations, they dont abuse your fridge and kitchen cupboards as much!

My youngest 8 in feb continues Bevin early puberty. Clinics were closed but going call surgery tomorrow as wee soils struggling with the emotions.

13 hours ago, Dons_1988 said:

20 week scan this morning.

All healthy and normal, and found out we're having a wee daughter :)

Congrats, A96 and best wishes to your Mrs for a healthy pregnancy.  You'll love being a dad.

56 minutes ago, RH33 said:

Congratulations, they dont abuse your fridge and kitchen cupboards as much!

Are you kidding?  I have a matching pair of lanky netball players aged 18 and 22 and they are absolute dustbins.  I spent 3 months of the first lockdown with my eldest and the amount she could put away was remarkable - much more so than her 20 yo brother.

BTW best wishes to your wee lassie.  Must be a bit of a tricky time for the pair of you.