Pregnancy And Parenting

I agree with bairnardo here. My wife gave birth on wednesday and everyone keeps asking me how I'm coping with the lack of sleep, etc. To be honest, its not that bad.

I never really got nervous at all through all the pregnancy and apart from being really tired while she was in labour, I wasnt really worrying about what was to come later.

Obviously its early days for us, but theres been very little stress so far.

4 hours ago, Dons_1988 said:

Yes, I've heard that. I probably operate on less sleep than the average person as I can be a bit of an insomniac but I'd be naive to think this won't be another level of fatigue.

I used to think like that. It is a hard man. 

4 hours ago, Dons_1988 said:

Thanks, I am actually surprisingly relaxed. It is something we were trying for, only surprise is that it's happened so soon. Still feels a little surreal at this point.

Will have a scan through the thread, P&B has it's uses when you get into the threads about proper stuff!

Its probably the biggest thing in your life, however, remember the change after Darren Mackie left.

This is nothing compared to that.

Its not easy all the time but to be honest its more rewarding than a hassle, a good laugh most of the time. Sometimes you'll shake your head and think, what the f**k are you doing you mad little b*****d!

Pretty much the same as raising a child. 

4 hours ago, Bairnardo said:
5 hours ago, Dons_1988 said:
So the wife pee'd on a stick on Saturday and seems life may change a bit for me in the next year.....
Any advice for someone who knows absolutely nothing about all this? Run?

Dont sweat it m9. It's an absolute breeze

I actually think this. I suppose it's all about your nature but I find parenting really easy. I am shite at the discipline stuff though. I just laugh when I am meant to be telling them off. 

Now our 2 are getting that little bit bigger, watching them play together is an absolute joy 😍 Long may it continue. I used to batter lumps out my older brother so hoping we aren't blessed with the same.

18 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

Its probably the biggest thing in your life, however, remember the change after Darren Mackie left.

This is nothing compared to that.

Its not easy all the time but to be honest its more rewarding than a hassle, a good laugh most of the time. Sometimes you'll shake your head and think, what the f**k are you doing you mad little b*****d!

Pretty much the same as raising a child. 

:lol: That raised a smile, cheers.

6 hours ago, Rugster said:

Sleep. As much as you can, whilst you still can.

Solid advice tbh. My missus and the wee one never got out of the hospital until 5 days after the birth, my eternal regret is not sleeping the entire time and also not going to Kebab Mahal. 

6 hours ago, Dons_1988 said:

Yes, I've heard that. I probably operate on less sleep than the average person as I can be a bit of an insomniac but I'd be naive to think this won't be another level of fatigue.

I'm quite similar and had no fear going into this. Except the biggest problem is, it's not on your terms, when she's awake I'm awake and even when she's sleeping, sometimes they cry in their sleep and wake me. Other than that, it's pure class, they have no filter in terms of behaviour and facial expressions which I've found hilarious on a daily basis. 

So the wife pee'd on a stick on Saturday and seems life may change a bit for me in the next year.....
Congrats. Maybe cliché but having kids has been the best thing I've ever done. One is 4 next month and the other is 9 months old. A day hasn't went by when they haven't made me smile or in case of the older one just now, absolutely die with laughter at her antics.

The first few weeks are a bit wtf as it's a massive change. I used to get ready to leave the house about 5 minutes before I had to leave. It's about 20 minutes that takes now. That's been the biggest adjustment for me. If you are one for going out every weekend you'll feel that impact obviously and sleep will be your biggest battle - both mine slept all night from very early on so you might get lucky.

This thread is one of the best on PnB. You can ask what might seem like a daft question and you'll get a serious response. Along with the depression thread it shows the place is full of gid c***s.

My advice for a first timer would be to research before buying every single thing in the shop. The amount of stuff you'll buy and not need could get ridiculous but new parents (woman more so I'd say) are easy targets for the "aw you need to buy this for safety".

Get the perfect prep machine though, that's a game changer [emoji38]

15 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

Congrats. Maybe cliché but having kids has been the best thing I've ever done. One is 4 next month and the other is 9 months old. A day hasn't went by when they haven't made me smile or in case of the older one just now, absolutely die with laughter at her antics.

The first few weeks are a bit wtf as it's a massive change. I used to get ready to leave the house about 5 minutes before I had to leave. It's about 20 minutes that takes now. That's been the biggest adjustment for me. If you are one for going out every weekend you'll feel that impact obviously and sleep will be your biggest battle - both mine slept all night from very early on so you might get lucky.

This thread is one of the best on PnB. You can ask what might seem like a daft question and you'll get a serious response. Along with the depression thread it shows the place is full of gid c***s.

My advice for a first timer would be to research before buying every single thing in the shop. The amount of stuff you'll buy and not need could get ridiculous but new parents (woman more so I'd say) are easy targets for the "aw you need to buy this for safety".

Get the perfect prep machine though, that's a game changer emoji38.png

Cheers, we are happy about it.

I'm sure there is fear to come but happy about it now. All feels a bit weird as she hasn't shown many signs other than the missed period. Doesn't feel real. 

On 28/09/2020 at 09:13, Dons_1988 said:

Babies are shite. Enjoy sleep now. 

Once they are up and crawling n running its all good fun.

Mine are now 8 and 11. 8 year old is like my wee best pal. 11 year old who has Autism/ adhd has his days but overall he is fine, just adapt. 2 years until he is going to high school which we as parents as dreading as his mind and way he is, is of a younger child.

However just get on with it. Being a dad is awesome. Changes all perspectives. 

On 28/09/2020 at 09:13, Dons_1988 said:

Kids are great for a year you want them to walk and talk,then for the next next 15 years to sit down and shut up.

Some advice. Feel free to ignore:

1) dont buy a pram. Waste of fucking money. Invest in a reliable foldaway push chair. And a wee cheapo one as back up.

2) lots of people will tell you the moment of birth is emotional and overwhelming amazing. Often it isn't for a range of perfectly normal reasons. Dont feel bad if you feel a bit "meh". Its just shock or fatigue.

3) if you are a tidy person, just accept your house is going to look like a fucking tip. Nothing can be done about it. 

4) Your wife/partners hormones are going to be a rollercoaster. Be patient and kind.

5) it's ok to feel totally overwhelmed sometimes. Everybody does.

6) However bad it gets, one day they'll turn into cheeky wee b*****d teenagers and you'll wish for the days of dirty nappies 😆

Congratulations, another Dandy to join the famous!

1) dont buy a pram. Waste of fucking money. Invest in a reliable foldaway push chair. And a wee cheapo one as back up.

If you have a car I recommend the doona buggy.
We got it for the car and a proper pram system.
The pram system got used once and ignored for the doona. Thing is brilliant, the wheels fold under the body to turn into a car seat so no faffing about taking it apart.
Used it on both of ours, only downside was lack of under buggy storage

11 hours ago, Academically Deficient said:

2) lots of people will tell you the moment of birth is emotional and overwhelming amazing. Often it isn't for a range of perfectly normal reasons. Dont feel bad if you feel a bit "meh". Its just shock or fatigue.

3) if you are a tidy person, just accept your house is going to look like a fucking tip. Nothing can be done about it. 

4) Your wife/partners hormones are going to be a rollercoaster. Be patient and kind.

5) it's ok to feel totally overwhelmed sometimes. Everybody does.

6) However bad it gets, one day they'll turn into cheeky wee b*****d teenagers and you'll wish for the days of dirty nappies 😆

We’ve got a 15 year old and 13 year old twins. Your last point is so true.

Would I do it all again? No, it’s knackering.

Edited by Tony Ferrino