Pregnancy And Parenting

Looking for some input on this.

My 9 year old son wants Fortnite on his switch, most of the boys in his class already play it. My wife told him "ask your dad", I said no. Am I being too strict here? When I was growing up I was always made to wait until I was old enough to meet the restriction on the game, and in my head my kids would always be the same. No other parents seem to think this way though, and I don't want my son to be the one that isn't allowed anything.

27 minutes ago, die hard doonhamer said:

My 9 year old son wants Fortnite on his switch, most of the boys in his class already play it. My wife told him "ask your dad", I said no. Am I being too strict here? When I was growing up I was always made to wait until I was old enough to meet the restriction on the game, and in my head my kids would always be the same. No other parents seem to think this way though, and I don't want my son to be the one that isn't allowed anything.

I relented when my son was ten as all his pals were playing it. He’s not gone on a manic shooting spree this far! 
I’m not keen on letting them play games they’re not old enough for either and always check with my ex.

Just my opinion but if it's an age thing you're worried about then I wouldn't be. I played GTA at around 11/12 and I've not killed anyone. Yet. Also (not sure if you're familiar with the game) it's not brutal. You're of course killing opponents but there isn't blood and gore, when you die all that happens is you hit the deck and all your collectables burst out. Being honest, if my daughter was capable I'd let her play it even at aged 3 because it's almost like a cartoon.

The real concern is the addiction. It really has hooked a lot of people, kids and adults and that's far more concerning IMO. My 9 year old nephew has went apeshit in the past when he hasn't been allowed to play it but I fully blame the parents because they let him go on it constantly. The dad is hooked as well which doesn't help. And the temper when he gets killed is quick concerning.

The other side from your son is that if all his pals have it and he doesn't they make take the piss a bit. Hopefully not the case but we all know what school kids are like and that was certainly the case when I was at school. I doubt kids have got nicer since then!

I'd let him have it but under the strict agreement that he plays it for a certain amount of time a day/weekend and then it's off. If he isn't willing to agree then it's a no.

19qos19 is right again - that's twice this year :-o

Controlling their playing time is more of an issue than the content. I'd suggest being a bit more trusting than pulling the cable.

It could be a good way to let him talk to and "play" with his friends while he can't do it physically.

Can't play till room is tidy, certain chores are done etc also appears to work. My 5 year old has been playing Mario kart on my 3ds and getting him to tidy his room or the homework set by the teacher has been alot easier with the reward of an hour of two on it.

Plus it keeps him quiet for a good wee while.

24 minutes ago, Mr X said:

19qos19 is right again - that's twice this year 😮

Controlling their playing time is more of an issue than the content. I'd suggest being a bit more trusting than pulling the cable.

It could be a good way to let him talk to and "play" with his friends while he can't do it physically.

I should say cable pulling us last resort!

19qos19 is right again - that's twice this year :-o

That did make me laugh out loud, fair play [emoji38]

FWIW, I'm always right. You're only just starting to see this though...

4 hours ago, MixuFixit said:

Cheers, we have got results with a mix of this, some cartoons on the ipad and sitting him down to eat his tea with us instead of feeding him before we ate, which seems to work. He can stay up a bit longer and is happier taking his time eating, if he's dawdling we bring out a distraction and hey presto he starts absent mindedly eating.

Yeah distraction seemed to be the key for us.  Our problem with trying to get us all to eat together was that he refused to eat anything as it was ‘too hot’ until it was pretty much lukewarm. Obviously we would rather eat it before that stage.

I presume I’m not the only person who’s currently juggling work and home schooling a child/children. 

Who’s all in this position just now and how’s it going? Kids taking to it or is it like World War 3?

Have your kids schools been proactive and issuing enough/too much work? Are they using Seesaw or other apps?