Pregnancy And Parenting

IMG_2792.thumb.jpg.07405e26346091f785e2e1c85e857981.jpg
This beautiful bundle of joy appeared at 9.14am this morning after a 31 HOUR labour for my good lady wife. I can now officially say my life is complete
The left hand signalling exactly what the wee one thinks of the Arbroath gear. Future Forfar fan IMO.

17 hours ago, Gaz said:

My oldest two are, all things considered, coping pretty well with being stuck in the hoose all day. We were dreading it as their autism means we have particular routines for each day of the week and haven't been able to do any of them. But they're doing alright, pretty restless in the evenings though.

They haven't been getting to sleep until well after midnight but thankfully they're lying in until 10 / 11 so we'll take that.

Maisie is brilliant at going to sleep but Ben is a nightmare,last night it was 11.30pm before he fell asleep.

It is really difficult for him after the way he was treated by his mother.

1 week in. First 3 nights at home were a doddle. Yesterday and last night and I was considering withdrawing my savings and running as fast and as far as I can. Spent hours pacing the house calming him down as he wouldn’t settle being fed and winded at any point through the day and night.

Currently on the rocking chair in the spare room with him sleeping on my lap and wondering why I waited 37 years to make one of these little miracles.

20 minutes ago, Ross. said:

1 week in. First 3 nights at home were a doddle. Yesterday and last night and I was considering withdrawing my savings and running as fast and as far as I can. Spent hours pacing the house calming him down as he wouldn’t settle being fed and winded at any point through the day and night.

Currently on the rocking chair in the spare room with him sleeping on my lap and wondering realising why I waited 37 years to make one of these little miracles.

FTFY

(He wouldn't have colic?)

2 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

FTFY

(He wouldn't have colic?)

Think it’s an upset stomach, or there abouts.  Drinking a healthy amount but not quite so much from the other end. Midwife is due back in tomorrow for a home visit so will check it all with her then.

2 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

They can take a good long time to do a poo as they have to figure out they need to give a push. I think my lad went 8 days between shites at one point when he was tiny.

Couple of days ago he filled a good half dozen nappies and around 3am this morning he shot some good watery shite around a foot off the changing table, which fair tested his mum’s reactions. Nothing since, though he is farting away like a pro. Maybe just finding his rythem.

Just found out we're going to be greatgrandparents, end of October/beginning of November, apparently. Jacksgranny's very pleased. Me? I'll hold fire till the child is born. Grandson nr 3 is the culprit, and in my experience, when there's a break up - as, unfortunately there is, 75% of the time it seems - it's the paternal side that misses out, which is us in this instance.

We seldom see step son nr 1's children, although I'm sure a phone call from my wife would rectify that, as she's still on speaking terms with his ex wife. On the other hand, I've been with my wife for 28 years and I don't ever recall them (the grandchildren) ever being in our house, we used to call at their's to see them.

Step son nr 2's haven't been seen since a family fall out about 18 years ago. My wife is still upset about this as the two of them were regular visitors at that time and he was the first grandson. They are adults now, and if they haven't made contact by now, I don't think they will. I wouldn't know the boy if I met him down the street, but I'd know the wee girl (well, big girl now), I met her one day in the town and I knew who she was, but I don't think she knew me.

Stepdaughter nr 1 has also fallen out with her mother (can't say that broke my heart, she was hell to work with, quite frankly, and, imho, treated her mother like dirt, but my wife kept going back visiting/inviting her here), and we've only seen her daughter once, but I suppose what you've never had, you never miss. Probably easy for me to say as they're only step grandchildren, although 10 of them call me granda and no doubt the eleventh one (14 days old tomorrow!) will do the same, some day.

Anyway we see 10 of them regularly (too regularly in some cases :lol:!) so that makes up for it, to a certain extent. We'll see the eleventh when it's safe to do so.

It must be heartbreaking if you've only 1 or 2 (or even half a dozen) grandchildren but never get to see them.

Edited by Jacksgranda
sllepnig

1 hour ago, MixuFixit said:

They can take a good long time to do a poo as they have to figure out they need to give a push. I think my lad went 8 days between shites at one point when he was tiny.

And an update. Took him out for a walk, strapped to the papoose. Relaxed him a bit and when we got back in 20 minutes ago he filled his nappy and then some, with the most incredible look of relief on his face as he done it. Problem solved.

21 minutes ago, Ross. said:

And an update. Took him out for a walk, strapped to the papoose. Relaxed him a bit and when we got back in 20 minutes ago he filled his nappy and then some, with the most incredible look of relief on his face as he done it. Problem solved.

Wait til he's older and just on the cusp of getting out of nappies. That's when you find them behind the couch pushing it into the big boy nappy.

"What you doing wee man?" 

Reply "Go away" whilst his head is shaking.

41 minutes ago, jimbaxters said:

Wait til he's older and just on the cusp of getting out of nappies. That's when you find them behind the couch pushing it into the big boy nappy.

"What you doing wee man?" 

Reply "Go away" whilst his head is shaking.

My brother used to do that - "Go away, go away, go away", whilst getting increasingly redder in the face! :lol:

On 14/04/2020 at 16:00, Jacksgranda said:

Just found out we're going to be greatgrandparents, end of October/beginning of November, apparently. Jacksgranny's very pleased. Me? I'll hold fire till the child is born. Grandson nr 3 is the culprit, and in my experience, when there's a break up - as, unfortunately there is, 75% of the time it seems - it's the paternal side that misses out, which is us in this instance.

We seldom see step son nr 1's children, although I'm sure a phone call from my wife would rectify that, as she's still on speaking terms with his ex wife. On the other hand, I've been with my wife for 28 years and I don't ever recall them (the grandchildren) ever being in our house, we used to call at their's to see them.

Step son nr 2's haven't been seen since a family fall out about 18 years ago. My wife is still upset about this as the two of them were regular visitors at that time and he was the first grandson. They are adults now, and if they haven't made contact by now, I don't think they will. I wouldn't know the boy if I met him down the street, but I'd know the wee girl (well, big girl now), I met her one day in the town and I knew who she was, but I don't think she knew me.

Stepdaughter nr 1 has also fallen out with her mother (can't say that broke my heart, she was hell to work with, quite frankly, and, imho, treated her mother like dirt, but my wife kept going back visiting/inviting her here), and we've only seen her daughter once, but I suppose what you've never had, you never miss. Probably easy for me to say as they're only step grandchildren, although 10 of them call me granda and no doubt the eleventh one (14 days old tomorrow!) will do the same, some day.

Anyway we see 10 of them regularly (too regularly in some cases :lol:!) so that makes up for it, to a certain extent. We'll see the eleventh when it's safe to do so.

It must be heartbreaking if you've only 1 or 2 (or even half a dozen) grandchildren but never get to see them.

That's some population plan your family has! There was me thinking my auld man was a populater (8 weans to 5 mums and 12 grandchildren)  

What do/did you give a 13/14 month old for breakfast? We’re rotating peanut butter on toast/cream cheese on toast/yoghurt with grapes or berries/Cheerios always finished with a piece of fruit. Getting a bit samey though and keen to experiment with other things. We’ve tried porridge and avocado on toast, she’s not really a big fan of those. What were your babies’ favourites?

Edited by Slacker

5 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

he mostly ate (still does, he's not much older than that) weetabix or sometimes porridge, toast, milk, half a banana sometimes. He has turned his nose up at eggs forever but this morning ate half of my cheese omelette so perhaps his tastes are developing! He's also got mad into dried fruits so apricots, dates are featuring.

Yeah she’s not a fan of eggs either - very frustrating. Will give dates a try but already dreading her offering me one...

1 hour ago, Slacker said:

What do/did you give a 13/14 month old for breakfast? We’re rotating peanut butter on toast/cream cheese on toast/yoghurt with grapes or berries/Cheerios always finished with a piece of fruit. Getting a bit samey though and keen to experiment with other things. We’ve tried porridge and avocado on toast, she’s not really a big fan of those. What were your babies’ favourites?

What about scotch pancakes?

Or Banana Toast? 

The Baby Led Weaning Apps are great for child friendly recipes and to stop giving them the same food every day. They cost a wee bit of money but we use them most weeks and kids have always liked what we have made out of them. 

Screenshot_20200416-102042_Fussy Toddler Recipes.jpg

Screenshot_20200416-102046_Fussy Toddler Recipes.jpg

Tonights bedtime story with my 4 year old was her big book of questions and answers. Its pitched a bit older but she loves it and does ok at picking stuff up and remembering.

Tonight we were on the solids/gases/liquids patter.

Me: "So what are clouds made of?"

BB1: "clouds are made of burps."