Pregnancy And Parenting

2 minutes ago, Rowan said:

I'm hard on my three, boundaries and expectations. 

Good post, Rowan and I was the same.  As teens?  You can't micro-manage them, though I'm at odds with their maw on this point.  My take is that you give them a framework as wee weans then enjoy how they develop.

I was simply teasing.  Really enjoyable discussion btw.  What age is your auld man?

Hes 54. Not that auld mind you but auld enough.
Gathered you were but the sensible side of me wants to make sure there isnt any ambiguity on what I mean and how it reads

Three years younger than me.  Bet he's a blue-nose

Inverness fan. Grandads a forres mechanics fan so my dad never had the big team to follow (follow)

A mistake that some make is to regard kids as friends.  I adore my three and we rub along well but they are not, in any way, my pals.

This is the exact approach I hope to take with my kid(s). I'm her parent, not her pal. I don't think I've ever really thought of my mum and dad as pals and I'm glad as they are the ones I go to for advice. I wouldn't really ask a pal for advice tbh (on major decisions). I think parents are supposed to be there to guide you and put structure in place for you, not agree with you.

Having said that I think weirdcal's situation is probably common and something I'd like eventually. When my kids are grown up I would like them to see me as a pal. After all the major milestones are gone and they are old enough to make their own sensible decisions (if I've done my job correctly they should be able to do that!) I'd loosen the parent strings some what, but they'll always know to come to me for advice.

I say this. I'll no doubt be soft as shit with mine and drive my missus nuts :lol:

4 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

I say this. I'll no doubt be soft as shit with mine and drive my missus nuts :lol:

Another good post, buddy.  My lassies certainly have me wound round their pinky.  They know this as does their maw and I spend silly money taking them shopping.

I think the balance, as evidenced by Rowan and Weirdcal, is being 'soft as shit' but having a strict side.  With my three their maw still says some variant of, "You'd never say that to your dad" and she's right.  She's definitely the better parent and I'm the nicer one...until they exceed their boundaries.

Another good post, buddy.  My lassies certainly have me wound round their pinky.  They know this as does their maw and I spend silly money taking them shopping.
I think the balance, as evidenced by Rowan and Weirdcal, is being 'soft as shit' but having a strict side.  With my three their maw still says some variant of, "You'd never say that to your dad" and she's right.  She's definitely the better parent and I'm the nicer one...until they exceed their boundaries.

I think that's how it is in most families. I would brush off a telling off from my mum as a kid, but if it came from Dad I knew I was in trouble. My wife says exactly the same of her childhood.

I think I'm the same, my wife tells them off more frequently, I'd maybe let them away with a bit more of the minor stuff, so hopefully they know that if i'm telling them off then we really mean it.

I'm in agreement on the parent/friend discussion that came earlier. I'm close with my parents, but I wouldn't say they are my friends. I go to them for advice, for help when I need it. A friend is something totally different. I hope I have the same relationship with my kids when they are grown up as I do with my parents now.

11 minutes ago, die hard doonhamer said:

I think I'm the same, my wife tells them off more frequently, I'd maybe let them away with a bit more of the minor stuff, so hopefully they know that if i'm telling them off then we really mean it.

This is the 'dad' thing I think.  They can soak me when I took them for a bath but stopped when I called them to do so.

Have you girls?  If so, do you treat them differently to sons?  I have both and definitely have a different relationship to my son compared to my daughters.

Edited by The_Kincardine

Feels a bit insensitive posting it straight after my above post but less insensitive had I put it in the same post I think.

Came in to see my missus had inadvertently dressed Aila as a fecking Minion:-

589f0146a4960_ImageUploadedByPieBovril1486815557.628023.thumb.jpg.8728290c693df5532095b2414bf3f4f5.jpg

Brilliant! [emoji1]

She's a wee cracker! [emoji106]

6d12f536f3fe655aea94c4002d2b250f.jpg
Wee one in his favourite place in the world.
Anyone elses kids addicted to baths?

Aye. Even more so since I parted with £2k to get a comb-boiler put in so there's no longer any "just have a shower mum wants the hot water for a bath" scenarios.

I don't mind when the bairn wants a bath instead of a shower though. Gives me plenty opportunities to give my wee lass a bubble-bath beard and hair. Pretty much mastered the Ronnie Browne look.

This is the 'dad' thing I think.  They can soak me when I took them for a bath but stopped when I called them to do so.
Have you girls?  If so, do you treat them differently to sons?  I have both and definitely have a different relationship to my son compared to my daughters.

I have a boy (6) and a girl (3). At the moment it's the same with both of them, but I expect that will be different in 10 years time.

I had such a lax upbringing, from both parents, which I think has rubbed off onto me and I will be exactly the same. I am far too chilled a person to be disciplining etc.

My mum is also my best friend, speak to her everyday and can tell her anything. I really hope Catherine has the same relationship with me when she is older. 

Jmo, Saints don't do baby strips, this will have to do in the meantime...

2017-02-12_13.03.44.jpg

Firm but fair approach from me and the missus, with plenty of love thrown in when we do have to be firm.

Parents who 'give in' to whatever it is are just asking for trouble later on. I see kids at school who have clearly learned that nagging works. They keep pestering, in the expectation I'll give in. I take great pleasure in informing them that their nagging is only strengthening my resolve.

3 hours ago, pandarilla said:

Firm but fair approach from me and the missus, with plenty of love thrown in when we do have to be firm.

Parents who 'give in' to whatever it is are just asking for trouble later on. I see kids at school who have clearly learned that nagging works. They keep pestering, in the expectation I'll give in. I take great pleasure in informing them that their nagging is only strengthening my resolve.

Pandy, do you ever come out with the, "It's your own time you're wasting" classic?