Pregnancy And Parenting

4 hours ago, The Woolshed said:

Minor minor worry before as George's blood sugar was 2.6 which is the minimum threshold. He's also not breathing as well as they'd like (side effect of a section baby I believe) so he's been monitored this afternoon. But signs are of improvement in both of these so all good, I think. emoji2.pngIMG_1485535195.713041.jpg[url=http://www.pieandbovril.com/forum/uploads/monthly_2017_01/IMG_1485535195.713041.jpg.7e6725cd86cfbfbc2c30cdaeeaf557f9.jpg]http://www.pieandbovril.com/forum/uploads/monthly_2017_01/

Weans are incredibly resilient.  Yer wee man will be fine.

2 hours ago, Rugster said:

She just spewed again. :( 

How old is she and is this a new thing? 

Not to worry you but the reason I ask is that at Ruaridh started projectile vomiting quite early and as it was my first experience with a baby I thought that was normal. Then it started happening after every feed and he had a very painful looking bloated stomach. He quickly stopped gaining weight and after looking online everything pointed to Pyloric Stenosis. We made an appointment with the GP with the understanding that if he tried to palm us off we would then insist on looking into what we had researched. We didn't want to lead with that for obvious reasons. "You know, our expert medical opinion, after consulting the internet is..."

Worryingly he told us to wait and came back after 20 minutes telling us he had made arrangements with the Children's hospital and an ambulance was on it's way to pick us up. Immediately we panicked. When we got to hospital we were told he would need surgery. Having a 3 week old baby not able to eat (under no circumstances was he to be fed, and it's absolutely heartbreaking hear your child cry with hunger, knowing full well his mum is holding him, smelling the breast milk and not being able to get it) was a very testing experience. Thankfully it was caught early and although it can be incredibly serious, it's a relatively risk free operation. 

He's now 9 months old and a fat b*****d. 

Anyway, as I say, I don't mean to worry you but there are signs. Be vigilant. 

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/pyloric-stenosis/symptoms-causes/dxc-20163857

6 minutes ago, steelmen said:

My wee one had it before she was 2, thankfully she'll never remember how awful it is.

The cream never worked for her but you can get it for the bath and that really helped

I got it aged 27 off my step son. I had it when I was a wean as well. Horrendous few days. I didn't realise it can be dangerous as an adult. I was such a mess. I looked like a human pizza. 

I even had them on my knob. 

Hunners of them. Hunners of them on my massive knob. 

40 minutes ago, G_Man1985 said:

Youngest has chickenpox.
Yay :-(

Nae luck.  What age is your wee yin?  My son had the worst chickenpox ever known to man when we was 3 and was the apotheosis of a scabby wean.  His sisters got off lightly by comparison.

Not to worry you but the reason I ask is that at Ruaridh started projectile vomiting quite early and as it was my first experience with a baby I thought that was normal. Then it started happening after every feed and he had a very painful looking bloated stomach. He quickly stopped gaining weight and after looking online everything pointed to Pyloric Stenosis. We made an appointment with the GP with the understanding that if he tried to palm us off we would then insist on looking into what we had researched. We didn't want to lead with that for obvious reasons. "You know, our expert medical opinion, after consulting the internet is..."
Worryingly he told us to wait and came back after 20 minutes telling us he had made arrangements with the Children's hospital and an ambulance was on it's way to pick us up. Immediately we panicked. When we got to hospital we were told he would need surgery. Having a 3 week old baby not able to eat (under no circumstances was he to be fed, and it's absolutely heartbreaking hear your child cry with hunger, knowing full well his mum is holding him, smelling the breast milk and not being able to get it) was a very testing experience. Thankfully it was caught early and although it can be incredibly serious, it's a relatively risk free operation. 

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/pyloric-stenosis/symptoms-causes/dxc-20163857

I had Pyloric Stenosis as well, got a massive scar from an operation I can't remember as I was 3 weeks old as well. My mum said the doctor told her it's usually a hereditary illness but no immediate family of mine have had it.

It turned me from a scrawny child to a fat b*****d instantly according to my dad.

2 hours ago, mizfit said:

I had Pyloric Stenosis as well, got a massive scar from an operation I can't remember as I was 3 weeks old as well. My mum said the doctor told her it's usually a hereditary illness but no immediate family of mine have had it.

It turned me from a scrawny child to a fat b*****d instantly according to my dad.

I don't remember being told it was hereditary, but my head was up my arse at the time. No one on either of our sides had it. My son has a wee scar on his belly button and that's it.

9 hours ago, Toma_BullyWee said:

She's 8 months old. Slept all night and taken a feed this morning. No spew - yet at least. A wee bit gurney. I'm leaning towards it being a bug but I also think the onset of teething as she's chewing on every and anything and drooling a lot. 

3 minutes ago, Rugster said:

She's 8 months old. Slept all night and taken a feed this morning. No spew - yet at least. A wee bit gurney. I'm leaning towards it being a bug but I also think the onset of teething as she's chewing on every and anything and drooling a lot. 

That's good then. Please do consider what I said though. It can be very serious but thankfully we caught it early and I appears I am destined to worry every single person I know with a newborn if their child so much as spits a bit of milk out. 

Just now, Toma_BullyWee said:

That's good then. Please do consider what I said though. It can be very serious but thankfully we caught it early and I appears I am destined to worry every single person I know with a newborn if their child so much as spits a bit of milk out. 

Will do mate, watching her like a hawk the next few days. 

Thanks everyone. Find it so weird going back to the house leaving Mum and baby in hospital. Guess all dad's from section babies will go through it. Just a weird feeling leaving at 9pm.

Congratulations mate. Yes that bit is a right shitter, it was nearly a week I had to leave them every night too, hopefully you will only have to do it a couple of days. Great when you get them home!

^^ this.
Section babies get kept in alot. Mostly for the mothers sake with the wound needing to heal.
Wee one was born the monday and they got home the saturday. Wife was ready to leave by the wednesday. Some utter arseholes in the ward. On phone all night the their mates and one didnt try the hospital food and her bloke kept taking in takeaways for her and leaving the rubbish in the locker bin. Minging

Just now, weirdcal said:

^^ this.
Section babies get kept in alot. Mostly for the mothers sake with the wound needing to heal.
Wee one was born the monday and they got home the saturday. Wife was ready to leave by the wednesday. Some utter arseholes in the ward. On phone all night the their mates and one didnt try the hospital food and her bloke kept taking in takeaways for her and leaving the rubbish in the locker bin. Minging

We were lucky in that respect as section means a private room in Raigmore. 

58 minutes ago, Rowan said:

What really got on my tits was the ones who'd say "can ye watch the bairn till a go fae a fag".

They were that busy when I was in, there was a pregnant women in the high dependency unit amongst all us ladies who had already had their babies. She had extreme sickness but asked to be let put for some "fresh air" fag in hand. I was seething!