Pregnancy And Parenting

My son hardly spoke until his sister was born in April. Then all of a sudden he started conversations, prob because there was competition!

Funnily enough, Charlie's speech was gradually improving throughout the last year when he was at nursery, but now he's a big brother, he's suddenly started having much longer conversations about things that I didn't realise he even knew!

I remember my mum telling me that when she was little, she didn't speak very well at all, but she had two older sisters who could understand what she was saying and so she didn't have any incentive to try any harder. While kids don't have to work at something, they quite often won't, and if they can get by just fine doing things the way they always have (e.g. pointing at the thing they want, rather than saying it, taking your hand and guiding you to the train set, rather than asking for it and so on), then why bother? That doesn't apply to all kids, of course, but as Rowan says, when there's competition or when their usual tactics aren't getting them what they want, to do tend to come out of themselves a bit more. You'll probably find he'll come into his own when baby number 2 makes an appearance, G_Man!

Nursery have suggested Thomas' speech isn't quite as far advanced as it should be at his age too, and he's to get a little help with it. Not formal speech therapy yet because they don't think he needs that, but just a wee bit of one on one time with a worker at the nursery. I don't think there's any serious issue though and ironically I've noticed he's been producing longer sentences in the last couple of weeks, before the extra help has even started.

Steven is quite a clear wee speaker. Doesn't really produce sentences yet, though he is starting to come out with phrases, not just single words. What he does say though he says very clearly.

My sister was terrible with speech when she was little. Apparently only I could understand her. She got extensive speech therapy when she was little and it never did her any harm, she ended up a qualified pharmacist!

Now 4 days overdue, first born has been ill all weekend (thankfully she's well on the way to being 100% again) and now tthe heavily pregnant one has been hit with pretty bad D&V bug. The doc has given her anti nausea tablets and I'm currently letting some lucozade go flat as i've been told that helps.

Does anyone know any decent home remedies that are safe for pregnant woman?

Now 4 days overdue, first born has been ill all weekend (thankfully she's well on the way to being 100% again) and now tthe heavily pregnant one has been hit with pretty bad D&V bug. The doc has given her anti nausea tablets and I'm currently letting some lucozade go flat as i've been told that helps.

Does anyone know any decent home remedies that are safe for pregnant woman?

Afraid not, sorry. Mrs SD had gastroenteritis at 8 months pregnant with No 2 but she got over it very quickly and she wasn't overdue at the time fortunately. He didn't arrive until after his due date anyway.

Good luck when it happens though.

And good luck to Mrs Swarley too who is also overdue. :thumsup2

Ginger (in the form of biscuits or tea, usually) can help with nausea, but only if you can actually keep it down!

If it's not too late for Swarley (and for you AR) you can now play the fun game of bumping this thread every few hours just to get people all excited. It's not much fun for those watching, and it's only mildly amusing for you too I'd imagine, but it'll pass the time while you're waiting.

Hey all it may come as a surprise to all of you but my wife gave birth to a beautiful baby boy on Sunday night at 9.58pm after 7 years of marriage and 11 years together it has been worth the wait.

He weighed in at a very respectable 7lbs 4oz as was 3 days early. See my son brought coming into the world is possibly the most surreal and fantastic thing I have ever witness. Mum and boy are doing well and my little family should be getting home tomorrow.

I just thought I would let you all know that Jack Campbell Thomson is now in the world and is amazing.

Hey all it may come as a surprise to all of you but my wife gave birth to a beautiful baby boy on Sunday night at 9.58pm after 7 years of marriage and 11 years together it has been worth the wait.

He weighed in at a very respectable 7lbs 4oz as was 3 days early. See my son brought coming into the world is possibly the most surreal and fantastic thing I have ever witness. Mum and boy are doing well and my little family should be getting home tomorrow.

I just thought I would let you all know that Jack Campbell Thomson is now in the world and is amazing.

You're meant to give us more warning than that* :rolleyes:

Congratulations to you both :D

* we all knew you were hovering around for a reason ;)

And bang here's baby! Within hour(s) of posting my wifes waters had gone and contractions were pretty constant. By 2:51am today baby Ruaridh William Shanks popped out to say Lhowdy y'all". 9lbs 4oz. Baby and mum are doing great(the wife is a star doing it all on just gas and air - not by choice mind you)

Elated.

Congrats Adolfo (I was going to say, maybe your wife's body was clearing itself out before going into labour - that's pretty common...and not very pleasant - I remember it well!) and Diamonds (worst kept secret, ever)!

*broods*

And bang here's baby! Within hour(s) of posting my wifes waters had gone and contractions were pretty constant. By 2:51am today baby Ruaridh William Shanks popped out to say Lhowdy y'all". 9lbs 4oz. Baby and mum are doing great(the wife is a star doing it all on just gas and air - not by choice mind you)

Elated.

Congrats

Congrats

My little family is getting home today - could not be more happy (or scared)

You're meant to give us more warning than that* :rolleyes:

Congratulations to you both :D

* we all knew you were hovering around for a reason ;)

Given my wife and my bad luck in this regard (2 ectopic and 5 miscarriage) we weren't taking any chances.

Elated.

Great weight ;) - welcome to the new dad club

Congratulations, man. Thats fantastic news, really happy for you both :D

Congrats to Adolfo too. And hurry up Mrs Swarley :lol: