Pregnancy And Parenting

My sister was rushed into hospital last week 6 weeks early and had an emergency c-section, little Erin was born weighing 5lbs 2 oz and has been in the SBCU since but is growing day by day and taking all her bottle everytime so hopefully its only a matter of time till she is let out and home with my sister.

From a very proud uncle.

Nice one :thumsup2

Went out for a family meal on Saturday, my kids are 12 and 14, we had my 2 year old nephew with us. I totally forgot how much work it is having a little one with you, chopping up and cooling food, keeping him clean- ish and trying to eat your yen food.

Still it was good fun.

We're potty training... *sigh*

Day 1 was a brilliant success, only 1 accident the whole day! Day 2 was not good - fine when naked, but when he has pants on he just piddles in them. Day 3 today has been mixed, we've had pees on the potty, and a poo on the floor. I'm undecided whether to continue or not. We have had some success, so giving up seems like a bad idea when we've got this far... will give it until the weekend I think.

Haven't really gone anywhere further with this yet. That one day a couple of weeks ago when Thomas had a pee on the toilet appears to have been a coincidence. He's shown no inclination really to do another since. We haven't been "training" apart from the quick go before the bath though. I did get that book you highlighted from Amazon Reina. He thought it was great though I'm not convinced he actually knows what it means, though he did make peeing noises when he was reading it. :lol: It only arrived on friday though so we'll maybe try this more seriously in a week or two.

His speech is fair coming on though, as is his wee brother's. Steven learned what noise sheep make yesterday and spent the evening amusing us greatly by baaing anytime some asked him. :D

We were having no success whatsoever so LM thought it would be best waiting a bit longer as he didn't seem ready. I know bugger all about it all so I left it to her to decide. He likes playing with his "Thomas the Toilet" but he does not want to sit on it.

I believe we are now at 29 weeks for the new arrival, so not long to wait I guess. I was speaking to my sister the other day and she asked me if we had decided on a name yet. I've been pushing Fred for ages but LM was dead against it. We finally decided on one we both liked so I told my sister. She stopped talking and asked if I was joking. She claims to have told me that this was the name she was going to use if/when she decided to have kids. Now I'm a bit annoyed at this for a couple of points. One, she certainly never told me that she was going to pick this name if she had a boy. Two, she doesn't even know if she will actually have children. Three, let's say she has children, they could all be girls, therefore she would never use the name!

Hardly surprising that once LM heard this the name we had agreed on sounded even better to her ears now she knew she would piss off my sister and her boyfriend. I really like the name as well and I'm a bit upset at being told I'm not allowed to use this name as it will annoy her. In my sister's defence though, the name we like is the name of her boyfriend's Grandfather.

What's the script? What would you do?

Oh, and my sister has the same name as my cousin, so it's not as if she can say it's not the done thing for cousins to have the same name.

It's difficult but given that she's not in any imminent danger of needing to use it I'd be inclined to do so if you get there first. Especially if you wouldn't take offence if she uses it also? It then becomes up to her if she likes it enough to use the same name as you already have (different surnames potentially?).

This happened when I was born to an extent in that my mum and dad had sort of decided a name for me (if a boy) and then, 6 weeks earlier my mum's cousin had a boy and called him that name (David). She then felt she couldn't use it so it was abandoned as my name. In fact they didn't actually have a name for me for sure when I was born and as my mum was quite seriously ill for a week or two after my birth, my dad registered me without her actually ever knowing! :lol: Personally I prefer David to what I was called and I never saw quite why it couldn't have been used. We very rarely saw her cousin and family as we grew up and they didn't go to the same school or anything like that and had different surnames, although I think my mum and her cousin were much closer back then.

When ours were born we simply didn't tell anyone what any potential names were anyway. Point blank refused so it would never have been an issue for us. By the time someone else found out it would have been fait accomplit. We had girls names settled on for both our boys before they were born but only middle names set for boys for sure. Steven was reasonably set but Thomas was a last minute impulse in the hospital. It had been on my wife's short list but not mine. Indeed he was called Jamie for about 20 minutes by the two of us before we decided we didn't like it after all and he didn't suit it. It was changed before anyone else knew, something neither of us has regretted for a minute.

Haven't really gone anywhere further with this yet. That one day a couple of weeks ago when Thomas had a pee on the toilet appears to have been a coincidence. He's shown no inclination really to do another since. We haven't been "training" apart from the quick go before the bath though. I did get that book you highlighted from Amazon Reina. He thought it was great though I'm not convinced he actually knows what it means, though he did make peeing noises when he was reading it. :lol: It only arrived on friday though so we'll maybe try this more seriously in a week or two.

His speech is fair coming on though, as is his wee brother's. Steven learned what noise sheep make yesterday and spent the evening amusing us greatly by baaing anytime some asked him. :D

It's difficult but given that she's not in any imminent danger of needing to use it I'd be inclined to do so if you get there first. Especially if you wouldn't take offence if she uses it also? It then becomes up to her if she likes it enough to use the same name as you already have (different surnames potentially?).

This happened when I was born to an extent in that my mum and dad had sort of decided a name for me (if a boy) and then, 6 weeks earlier my mum's cousin had a boy and called him that name (David). She then felt she couldn't use it so it was abandoned as my name. In fact they didn't actually have a name for me for sure when I was born and as my mum was quite seriously ill for a week or two after my birth, my dad registered me without her actually ever knowing! :lol: Personally I prefer David to what I was called and I never saw quite why it couldn't have been used. We very rarely saw her cousin and family as we grew up and they didn't go to the same school or anything like that and had different surnames, although I think my mum and her cousin were much closer back then.

When ours were born we simply didn't tell anyone what any potential names were anyway. Point blank refused so it would never have been an issue for us. By the time someone else found out it would have been fait accomplit. We had girls names settled on for both our boys before they were born but only middle names set for boys for sure. Steven was reasonably set but Thomas was a last minute impulse in the hospital. It had been on my wife's short list but not mine. Indeed he was called Jamie for about 20 minutes by the two of us before we decided we didn't like it after all and he didn't suit it. It was changed before anyone else knew, something neither of us has regretted for a minute.

Yeah, the surnames would be different, so there isn't much trouble there. I personally wouldn't have a problem with that. In my opinion, decent, sensible names are hard to come by so you're destined to get someone in the family with the same name.

Within the next five years I'd expect that we will be living in the South of England, so there isn't much danger of there being two close cousins running about together with the same name.

Three of my cousins, who are all brothers, have got their girlfriends/wifes pregnant. The middle one, his girlfriend had her baby on Thursday, 4 weeks early I think, a little girl called Abbie. The youngest of the three, his wife is due this Thursday but doesn't know the sex of the baby. She wanted it to be called Abbie too if it was a girl but they decided first come gets the name.

By the time your sister gets pregnant, if she ever does Adam, she'll probably like one hundred other names by then so you should call your baby what you want.

If you like it use it.

We had a bit of a time choosing Niamh's name. We knew we wanted Sarah and Elizabeth in the name and my husband really liked Sarah Elizabeth but the Sarah is for my childhood friend who died the week before her 18th birthday and felt that I could only use it if her parents who are good friends of the family were comfortable with it. I contacted them when I was 39weeks pregnant but, as I had expected, they felt it would be too difficult to refer to our child by their child's name.

By that stage I'd gone off our back ups of Kirsty, Anna, Morven and Heather.

We chose Niamh in the end couple of days before I was due to be induced and we were slightly influenced by the fact that Ruairidh. who isn't the most confident speaker could already say Naimh as he has a wee friend called the same name. We felt that if he could refer to her by name it might help them bond. He's daft about her and he gets the biggests smiles of all from him!

Baby Adam is home and making good progress.

Congratulations Heed!

Cheers for the feedback. I was confident that most would agree. I really like the name and as I said, it is the only one that we can both actually agree on so it is quite a strong contender. I seem to remember when LM was at this stage with Charlie we were considering a few names and Charlie only came up once, and it was sort of brushed off, even though we both liked it. The morning we went into hospital I'm sure we were set on either Euan or Kieran. Can't remember if it was me or LM that mentioned the name Charlie after he was born but we both quickly agreed that it suited him best.

We also had Sarah Elizabeth picked if it was a girl. :lol:

Cheers for the feedback. I was confident that most would agree. I really like the name and as I said, it is the only one that we can both actually agree on so it is quite a strong contender. I seem to remember when LM was at this stage with Charlie we were considering a few names and Charlie only came up once, and it was sort of brushed off, even though we both liked it. The morning we went into hospital I'm sure we were set on either Euan or Kieran. Can't remember if it was me or LM that mentioned the name Charlie after he was born but we both quickly agreed that it suited him best.

We also had Sarah Elizabeth picked if it was a girl. :lol:

LM had said that! :lol:

As I said above, you absolutely should call your son whatever you like. The concept of your sister bagging the name is just ridiculous (it might have had some mileage if she was currently pregnant but even then it's really up to you).

That said, from my own perspective, my sister now lives in the South of England and has a different surname but she has three boys and I automatically ruled out any names she'd already used. I wouldn't have thought it right that my parents had two grandkids with the same name. Two of her three I'd not have chosen in a month of Sundays anyway but one of them might have been in consideration had she not used it. Her first son and my second do have the same middle name though, and for the same reason (our dad and grandad's name).

There's actually no debate about it at all really. I'm calling the baby whatever I want and Adam's sister can go f**k herself if she doesn't like it. :)

Quite right too. I don't think I could have put it better myself.

Naming a child is a difficult business. If our son had been a girl, we had planned to call her Sophie. However, a couple of months before he was born my wife's friend bought a dog, and called her...Sophie! We were then stumped and just relieved we had a boy! However, the aforementioned dog caused no end of trouble and only stuck around for a few months, so Sophie remains a possibility if we ever have a daughter.

Quite right too. I don't think I could have put it better myself.

Naming a child is a difficult business. If our son had been a girl, we had planned to call her Sophie. However, a couple of months before he was born my wife's friend bought a dog, and called her...Sophie! We were then stumped and just relieved we had a boy! However, the aforementioned dog caused no end of trouble and only stuck around for a few months, so Sophie remains a possibility if we ever have a daughter.

:lol: I think I'd be inclined to skip it if I'd known a dog by the same name, but that's just me.

We had very definite ideas about a girl's name - my sister's name and my mother's middle name - and debated for ages over what we would call a boy. It had to be something original that no one else had, which is difficult when your dad was born into a catholic family with no telly. I have over 30 cousins and the majority of them seem to have produced their own offspring now, so there's not many names left to choose from. The only names I'd actually want to take from family members would be that of siblings or parents, and I'd used the boy's names I liked on my first three, so we've actually been finding it difficult to pick a name that we liked. There's a couple more on the list that we've narrowed down, but none that we like as much. It's not set in stone until he's actually born of course, but if it suits, we're having that name. The fact she actually used the phrase "You CAN'T call him that, I wanted that name!" just made it so much more attractive though. :D

:lol: I think I'd be inclined to skip it if I'd known a dog by the same name, but that's just me.

We had very definite ideas about a girl's name - my sister's name and my mother's middle name - and debated for ages over what we would call a boy. It had to be something original that no one else had, which is difficult when your dad was born into a catholic family with no telly. I have over 30 cousins and the majority of them seem to have produced their own offspring now, so there's not many names left to choose from. The only names I'd actually want to take from family members would be that of siblings or parents, and I'd used the boy's names I liked on my first three, so we've actually been finding it difficult to pick a name that we liked. There's a couple more on the list that we've narrowed down, but none that we like as much. It's not set in stone until he's actually born of course, but if it suits, we're having that name. The fact she actually used the phrase "You CAN'T call him that, I wanted that name!" just made it so much more attractive though. :D

There must be something about boys names, cause we had exactly the same problem. We ended up going with Mrs X's granddads middle name. I was never really convinced by it before the birth, but it just seemed right when he was born :)

It's ok. I never met the dog. :lol: The wife met the brute, said it was cute but way too excitable. Sounds like a toddler!

Sophie is probably on a list of three or four girls names, but at this stage it is purely hypothetical.

Edited by MB

It was girl names we couldn't decide on. Nightmare!

Well, day 4 of the potty is going spectacularly well (I know I've just jinxed it there...) - bribery is the way forward! :D no accidents yet today!