Pregnancy And Parenting

Firstly, congratulations! Secondly, sleep when she sleeps. Believe me. Good luck :)

That's the one good thing about tue-thu, eldest at nursery and Niamh still naps for 2 hours, hoping I'll get an hour with both asleep when baby arrives (wishful thinking)!

Totally disagree with Phoenix, it's much easier to travel with a wee baby before they're walking about and causing havoc! ;) Tenerife would be a nice temp at that time of year and not too long a flight? I think it can be expensive though as it's popular at that time of year.

I'm not in a position to argue with those who have done it and found it no problem but we would never have travelled abroad with a baby. Combination of the potential for problems in the air, the possibility of needing medical attention abroad but mostly the sheer amount of extra things you need to travel with a baby would all be factors for me. Jesus, we went to Troon for three days inside the first year and could barely fit everything we needed to take with us into one large saloon car (a Passat). The prospect of a week or fortnight abroad with even more stuff to carry would have killed me I think!

To be honest, even now, with the kids 4 and 3 in three weeks time I'm not sure I'd do it. Although now it would mainly be the fear that the younger one takes a tantrum on the plane. His tantrums, though much less frequent than they were a year or so back can be rather "dramatic". I guess to be fair the decision of whether to travel or not would have a lot to do with the temperament of the child.

Been a long weekend this one with both kids (Thomas on Friday and Steven on Sunday) having nights where they coughed virtually non-stop through the night and got very distressed both with exhaustion and felling unwell. Steven actually coughed himself sick and threw up over his bed too. Nice! On the good news front though, both sleeping soundly now and as bad as they were, neither has had any wheezing episode in tandem so it looks like we might now be on top of that whole "virus induced wheeze" thing. :)

Congratulations to pandarilla and the very best of wishes to Clancy, Reina, Rowan and anyone else imminently due. Worth every second. :D

Edited by Skyline Drifter

Guest Kincardine

I'm not in a position to argue with those who have done it and found it no problem but we would never have travelled abroad with a baby.....the sheer amount of extra things you need to travel with a baby would all be factors for me.

I agree with the ridiculous amount of gear, but folk with family abroad do it all the time and manage no problem. All my three have flown to visit grandparents etc since they were weeks old and it was fine.

Sure, when they are restless toddlers it can be a bit of a nightmare but that stage doesn't last very long.

There's also a plus-side to it - it helps give kids confidence. Mine have flown a few times to Sweden as unaccompanied minors and haven't been phased by it. My 12 year old went to visit my sister and his cousins over New Year on his own (not as an unaccompanied minor). I dropped him off at Heathrow and his uncle picked him up at Glasgow. He managed the rest himself no problem.

I don't think it's that difficult flying with kids (although we have yet to travel abroad with ours). Our four year old has flown down south with us around 10 times since he was born, and I can't think of a time where I've really been stressed as a result.

LM flying to Bristol next weekend with both boys on her own, that should be interesting...

I agree with the ridiculous amount of gear, but folk with family abroad do it all the time and manage no problem. All my three have flown to visit grandparents etc since they were weeks old and it was fine.

I wasn't really referring to people going to visit family abroad though (although the issues with the actual flight are unchanged). People with family abroad probably need to carry less stuff for themselves and have no worries about sorting out medical attention or whatever they might need in an emergency as they are staying with "locals". I would have far less concerns about travelling abroad to visit friends or relatives.

I was referring to the idea of booking a package holiday abroad with a baby or two in tow.

Anyway, it's still fine if that's something you are happy to do. I'm no big fan of foreign holidays at the best of times to be fair and that certainly affects my enthusiasm for attempting to do it with a baby also.

I don't think it's that difficult flying with kids (although we have yet to travel abroad with ours). Our four year old has flown down south with us around 10 times since he was born, and I can't think of a time where I've really been stressed as a result.

LM flying to Bristol next weekend with both boys on her own, that should be interesting...

Ours flew domestic flights a few times as toddlers without any problems. Not really the same as taking them away on holiday, though

We're flying to Paris next month, which will be their first trip abroad. At 7 and 5, both should be fine ... I hope!

Notice the governments brilliant idea to "help cut the cost of child care" today by increasing nursery ratios.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-21232270

Genius.the only people who wil benefit from this will be the fat cat nursery owners...sure as hell won't see better paid staff or a cut in the cost.

Always love visiting the comments section of these articles....among the negatively rated comments for this one were

• "How hard can it be too look after two year olds or are they being taught astrophysics"
    ( my Mrs would cut his balls off for that first part)
  • "I think the high cost of child care is a good thing as it acts as a disincentive for people to have children and so helps population control."
    .....and my personal favourite
  • "To me it would be more important that my child wasn't taught to pronounce aitch as haitch."

Fully prepared this time! We have pretty much locked down our 2 names already :)

We know what we are having and have it down to two names.

I was at consultant on Monday, I was 34+3 but measuring 38! So not being allowed passed date, booked for a sweep on 4th march and induced later that week if i haven't gone. Had another scan and baby doing grand :)

• 2 weeks later...

That's us at 32 weeks +1 day now. Had our second ante natal class (or Parentcraft, as they'd prefer it be called) earlier this week and they brought us through a real life 12 hour old baby! Rather terrifying but massively cute all at once! Really impressed with the maternity unit in Perth. Very small and intimate, quiet, attentive, and I really hope we're able to have ours there rather than having to go through to Ninewells in Dundee. Baby B will determine that though. PRI is midwife led so any complications at all and you have to go to Dundee.