Pregnancy And Parenting

Has she chopped your bits off and handed them back to you yet!?!

To be fair to her, she has just gotten on with it for the most part. I now sense when she's in one of those moods (which I understand) and just try to be as little a pain in the arse as possible. I know I'd have snapped long ago in her position.

Besides, I have gotten to spend tonnes more time with Madison the last few weeks as we get away for a few hours and give her peace.

Not sure I can agree that boys are harder to potty train. My son was not even 2 when he told me he didn't want his nappy anymore, so we went for it and he was dry in no time. At 2 and a half he told me he didn't want a nappy at night anymore. I was reluctant, but we haven't had many accidents and he's now 3 and a half. Maybe I'm just incredibly lucky!

9 weeks to go for me as I'm having a section at 39 weeks. Will have an official date in a few weeks' time. Am very uncomfortable and tired all the time. I've started taking iron again to try and combat the tiredness as I suspect I'm borderline anaemic (well, I usually am without being pregnant anyway, so it wont hurt). Spatone rather than tablets, though...

My wee lad is 11 months old now.

These past 11 months have been absolutely exhausting. Nothing can prepare you for just how hard it is going to be. The lack of sleep was the biggest killer for me and the wife but the wee man is sleeping better now. For all the first time fathers to be, you will be amazed at the amount of nappies you go through and once your wee one is on the bottle, how much of your time is spent cleaning, sterilizing and preparing bottles.

Is it all worth it? Damn right it is, you will never do anything in your life that is more important than being a parent and the joy they bring, in amongst all the hard work, is incredible.

In saying all that though, we aint doing it again. The wife can't face those early months for a second time, maybe if we were younger but we are both late thirties. Very, very, very late thirties in my case.

Edited by Stagmaster

Stagmaster, I said recently to a friend who is in his mid 40's and has two similar ages as mine (4&2) I was glad I was doing it now at 30 and not in ten years time!!

About to see gp and ask her nicely for some omeprazole!

These past 11 months have been absolutely exhausting. Nothing can prepare you for just how hard it is going to be. The lack of sleep was the biggest killer for me and the wife but the wee man is sleeping better now. For all the first time fathers to be, you will be amazed at the amount of nappies you go through and once your wee one is on the bottle, how much of your time is spent cleaning, sterilizing and preparing bottles.

Is it all worth it? Damn right it is, you will never do anything in your life that is more important than being a parent and the joy they bring, in amongst all the hard work, is incredible.

In saying all that though, we aint doing it again. The wife can't face those early months for a second time, maybe if we were younger but we are both late thirties. Very, very, very late thirties in my case.

I had my third at 30, my fourth (and last!) just before my 33rd birthday. Pregnancy was an absolute nightmare with the two of them. Never, ever again.

I had my elder two at 19 and 24 and while pregnancy might have been a breeze, adjusting from nights out to night waking was awful. If I had my time over and still knew what I know now, I think i'd wait until my late 20s at least! I don't regret any of them for a second of course, I do wish i'd spent a bit more time on myself though.

• 2 weeks later...

Mrs The_Craig is 34 weeks and I cant believe how quickly the pregnancy has went. On the practical side, we went and got a new car. Traded a Vauxhall Tigra which is the least family friendly car for a Nissan Qashqai. Chuffed to bits. Baby's nursery is coming along too. All the furniture is bought, just waiting on the carpet going in before I build it up. Even got my paternity leave sorted. I've kept a couple weeks holiday so I'll have 4 weeks off! Yey!

Physically, she's doing well. Just really exhausted now. Sadly, the morning sickness hasn't went away. And this week, she's developed sciatic type pain down her left leg. However, she's still at work at the moment which I'm not happy about. I don't like this system where expectant mums feel they have to work as long as possible "for time at the other end". It should be 6 months from birth.

Anyway, with impending fatherhood, I am ok. Excited, but ok...

EDIT: Spelling like a spacker.

Edited by The_Craig

Woose! ;)

Just short of 39 when I became a father for the first time (wife is a year younger). Second one followed four days short of 12 months later. I have NO idea in retrospect how on earth we got through that first year of having both of them, especially as the second one was a much less settled sleeper and we had several spells in hospital with breathing issues for both of them.

But you're right. It's worth every second of it. Every nanosecond. :D

Woose! ;)

Just short of 39 when I became a father for the first time (wife is a year younger). Second one followed four days short of 12 months later. I have NO idea in retrospect how on earth we got through that first year of having both of them, especially as the second one was a much less settled sleeper and we had several spells in hospital with breathing issues for both of them.

But you're right. It's worth every second of it. Every nanosecond. :D

Wait until you have grandchildren - they usually go home smile.gif Win, win! All the fun and very little of the responsibility!

I think we are going to buy one of these for Josh:

20100323164752_Adventure%20ST3.jpg

Does anyone else have a bike trailer for the wee ones, and do you use it?

These scare the living daylights out me. I think they are too dangerous. What if a car hit it while you were on the road? I don't like them at all.

Wait until you have grandchildren - they usually go home smile.gif Win, win! All the fun and very little of the responsibility!

Or you are an auntie! All the best bits AND they can be sent home (usually) at the end of the day :). In saying that, my cousin is due in March, but we are more like sisters, and I am looking forward to looking after a newborn again, even if it is at nights! Possible because i will only have to get up 1/7 nights! :P

These scare the living daylights out me. I think they are too dangerous. What if a car hit it while you were on the road? I don't like them at all.

There is a cycle path runs from where I live right in to Perth, so I can get in there without going on a busy road. It's more for family bike rides.

There is a cycle path runs from where I live right in to Perth, so I can get in there without going on a busy road. It's more for family bike rides.

Ahh ok. Fair enough :). Sounds good then! I hate when I see people driving along busy roads in Edinburgh with these though. I am so scared something happens. There is a lot of idiotic car drivers!

I think we are going to buy one of these for Josh:

Does anyone else have a bike trailer for the wee ones, and do you use it?

Never used one out and about, as it were, but we have used them a few times at Centre Parcs. I think, though, had we moved back to Dumfries a few years earlier we would probably have bought one too.

The kids loved them and they are very handy. We've moved onto a trail-gator type thing (its the same idea but has a built in bike rather than using their one, although we do have one of those too somewhere :lol: ) for family bike rides as the youngest is now a bit older.

• 2 weeks later...

20 week scan is this Friday, buzzing for it, getting more and more excited as times moves along. Think we're going for a surprise, I genuinely don't mind if I find out or if we have a surprise in the end, I've let the Mrs have the final say when the day comes.

I've got one of the limited edition corsa's, just taken out on finance last year, so my mum and dad have got the deposit down on the pram for us. Had to shop around because a) need a pram to fit in the car and b) mrs is about 4 foot 10 so had to pick something that would suit both of these. Went for one of the Oyster prams, fits the car perfect and is hand and easy for the mrs who will be pushing it most of the time.

Got into the habit of picking up stuff here and there when I'm in the shops/asda wherever and got a wee build up of things on the go. Just pushing to try get housed now with the council before we think about things like furniture and stuff, council keep mucking us about and I would really like to be in a place and settled before the wee one arrives.

Ahh ok. Fair enough :). Sounds good then! I hate when I see people driving along busy roads in Edinburgh with these though. I am so scared something happens. There is a lot of idiotic car drivers!

This, what if someone is late with there breaking and goes right through it? Not a fan of them on the roads at all.