Pregnancy And Parenting

Fair enough. Between two sick kids and one cat trying to burn the house down I've had practically no sleep for two nights, and if the last hours anything to go by won't be getting any tonight either, so I guess I'm just a bit cranky.

When's nap time?

Whenever you like. You aren't a baby. :P

Jack has had a feeding routine for most of his 17 weeks. He is feed when he gets up (round about 8-8.30) then at 11, 2, 5 and just before bed at 7.30pm. (He cut out is nighttime feed himself a 5 weeks and has never been fed during the night again). Sometimes he leaves more than other and he is a tank (16lbs last wednesday) on the 75 percentile which is in line with his length. He is never hungry in between meals and the routine works really well for my wife and I.

This works really well for Jack and thats the most important thing but I am of the view that you do whats best for your own baby. The people best placed to do that are generally mum and dad.

Jack has had a feeding routine for most of his 17 weeks. He is feed when he gets up (round about 8-8.30) then at 11, 2, 5 and just before bed at 7.30pm. (He cut out is nighttime feed himself a 5 weeks and has never been fed during the night again). Sometimes he leaves more than other and he is a tank (16lbs last wednesday) on the 75 percentile which is in line with his length. He is never hungry in between meals and the routine works really well for my wife and I.

This works really well for Jack and thats the most important thing but I am of the view that you do whats best for your own baby. The people best placed to do that are generally mum and dad.

definitely. The key is what's best, not what's most convenient or (my biggest hate) what "the book" says. as they get older. You also need to recognise what are needs and what are wants though, or they will completely take the piss. Libby is 25 weeks now and has fallen more or less into the routines of the rest of the house (mum, dad, two big sisters and a brother) but we didn't enforce it. she tends to want to get up at half 5 which doesn't suit anyone but herself! she goes down at 7 though so we're happy enough. Another interesting thing, we've been weening her for a while now (Again, following her lead) we missed her morning porridge a couple of times, she's wasn't fussy about it at the time but come 5 o'clock at night, she was a grumpy wee shite and screamed til bed time. we don't skip breakfast anymore!

each kid is completely different, and I'm all for encouraging their individualities (I hate seeing families with kids like drones) but they can all fit into a good routine that's kept a little bit flexible.

definitely. The key is what's best, not what's most convenient or (my biggest hate) what "the book" says. as they get older. You also need to recognise what are needs and what are wants though, or they will completely take the piss. Libby is 25 weeks now and has fallen more or less into the routines of the rest of the house (mum, dad, two big sisters and a brother) but we didn't enforce it. she tends to want to get up at half 5 which doesn't suit anyone but herself! she goes down at 7 though so we're happy enough. Another interesting thing, we've been weening her for a while now (Again, following her lead) we missed her morning porridge a couple of times, she's wasn't fussy about it at the time but come 5 o'clock at night, she was a grumpy wee shite and screamed til bed time. we don't skip breakfast anymore!

each kid is completely different, and I'm all for encouraging their individualities (I hate seeing families with kids like drones) but they can all fit into a good routine that's kept a little bit flexible.

I havent read any book other than one about getting them into a good sleeping pattern and he mastered that himself. We just go with what works for us and Jack

Away from all the routines and non-routines

Jack has really started laughing now (he has been for a wee while but now he is really going for it). I had about half an hours entertainment last night Where I was doing a false laugh when he was in his bumbo chair and he was in stitches. It is a moment I will treasure forever.

Edited by diamonds2002

Niamh has two clear words, mum and hiya! All her toys go to her ear and get 'hiya'! She loves listen to show era on a real phone. She was standing unaided when I was collecting her from nursery yesterday, until she realised she was unaided and plonked back down! She's having some sort of intolerance reaction and has brutal Dioherra and stomach spams. :(

Finally, after a few weeks of holding on, my wife gave birth a wonderful wee girl at 02.50 am. I'm absolutely overjoyed. A picture of health, she got home this afternoon about 4.

I'm not really an 'established' pie n bovril'er but I've continually read this thread and some of the assistance and tips and comments are incredibly helpful. I'll no doubt be back on for advice and assistance, but I'm off to change some nappies...

Edited by kanadia

Guest The Phoenix

Finally, after a few weeks of holding on, my wife gave birth a wonderful wee girl at 02.50 am. I'm absolutely overjoyed. A picture of health, she got home this afternoon about 4.

I'm not really an 'established' pie n bovril'er but I've continually read this thread and some of the assistance and tips and comments are incredibly helpful. I'll no doubt be back on for advice and assistance, but I'm off to change some nappies...

Congrats - although 17 hours to update P&B'ers is totally unacceptable. ;)

Congrats - although 17 hours to update P&B'ers is totally unacceptable. ;)

Thanks. 17 hours and I've only finally got 10 minutes to myself though. I reckon this will be commonplace over the next few years...

Guest The Phoenix

Thanks. 17 hours and I've only finally got 10 minutes to myself though. I reckon this will be commonplace over the next few years...

Change "next few years" to a lifetime!

Trust me on this one, my eldest is 30 on Wednesday. :D

Dads can lead by example. It's definitely their job! Charlie likes to stand up now, but if he turns to talk to you while's he's going, it's always best to take a step or two backwards.

It's still best to be a few steps backwards when they are 11, trust me

The wife has to take insulin every day up until her pregnancy, also she is not aloud to go over 38 weeks. She is 34 weeks pregnant, she is not doing godo at all n i feel helpless :(. I fucking hate it

They will be fine at 38 weeks. Cal was born at just over 31 weeks and was absolutely fine too

I'm no breastfeeding nazi, but mothers and prospective mothers who have no intention of breastfeeding and don't try at all do annoy me. If they try it and it doesn't work for them or if they're simply not able, then fair enough.

Why should they have to try it though? To be honest that whole paragraph annoys me. And before you jump in I've worked as a midwife and I breastfed my son.

Congrats Phoenix on grandson No 2. Catching up on this thread as I've not been on here for weeks

Guest The Phoenix

And how is Grandson No 2? And has No1 accepted the new arrival?

No 2 - Magic! Plenty cuddles the order of the day.

No 1 - He's 3 on Wednesday (correction to earlier post, my daughter's 30 on Thursday!). He tells everyone that I'm his best pal. :D

Jealousy can be kept in check by playing with him (cars and lego being his favourites) for hours on end. :lol:

Edit: Thanks Ayrgirl. Alexander sends his best regards!

Edited by The Phoenix

I know i said i'd keep you upto date with my Fiancee's pregnancy, but heho. Anyway, we have 8 weeks to go, and we're having a girl. Always wanted a daughter as i have 2 son's. The baby is growing at a rate of Knott's, and also 5 centimetres bigger than she should be at this stage. Is there anything to worry about? The midwife has said that a normal birth might be out of the question.

She's also been tested for gestational diabetes and had the all clear, i put it down to the fact that my lass and i are quite tall, so any help from you guy's and gal's would be appreciated, thanks. Derek.

Don't worry they said my first was big bit when he arrived was small for gestation. My second was meant to be tiny multiple growth scans and concern. She arrived 2 days after sue date at 7lb 11oz spot on average!!

Oh and today's news, demand fed babies are marginally smarter that routine fed babies. No idea how to do smilies on phone but if I did it would be rolls eyes one.

If you live in Bristol :rolleyes:

I noticed these two things about the study

This is after taking into account background factors such as a parent's education, family income, the child's sex and age, maternal health and parenting styles.

How? Im sure I could "take into account" all those wooly factors and come up with any finding I wanted.

Anyway, my kids dont need the extra couple of points IQ. We've obviously made up for it in all the other factors. Making them even smarter just wouldnt be fair on all the other kids 8)

Mothers who fed to a schedule are more likely to be younger, single, social tenants and less educated, the study says

:lol:

Sums my family up perfectly

Don't worry they said my first was big bit when he arrived was small for gestation. My second was meant to be tiny multiple growth scans and concern. She arrived 2 days after sue date at 7lb 11oz spot on average!!

Cheers, it's my girl's first baby and quite rightly she worries.