Pregnancy And Parenting

Terry nappies with a motherease wrap - only ones I've used that haven't leaked. I never used them before the wee man was on solids though, so don't know how they'd cope with milky nappies... I used Pampers before then - I found them better than other brands, but they still leaked when there was a particularly bad poonami!

We had to take the wee man to out of hours today - he had a temp of 39.4˚ and Calpol wasn't helping. Poor wee mannie just sat and cuddled into me all day, which he never does - he's the most un-cuddly baby in the world, never stops wriggling usually. Doc said it's probably teeth or something viral. He's had 2 teeth pop through in the last week, so I suppose it could be teeth, but he's never been this bad with teeth before. Ah well, he's sleeping now, hope we have a better night tonight than last night, that was awful :(

:( All these poorly babies! I hope they're all doing better now.

called NHS 24 and they send an ambulance which was a bit scary when it pulled up with blue lights. Really not necesarry as we're only 2 miles from the RAH but NHS 24 said that with circulation problems in children it's procedure.

It's NHS Direct down here - they insisted on sending an ambulance here too when Elise was 2. I knew fine it wasn't necessary and had only phoned for a some peace of mind! Instead I got an ambulance because of "policy/procedure". I don't phone them any more.

This is backed up by the fact that he is stunt baby, having twice now got down the stairs by going under the stair gate and surfing down on his belly!

:lol: I know I've heard this story this week already but it still made me laugh. Brilliant. I need to see it!

Is there any make of nappy that doesn't leak pooh? I swear I've tried pampers, huggies, tesco asda and sainsburys own brand and none of them keep pooh in

Washable nappies? Most people reckon they don't leak like disposables. I didn't have problems with mine when I used them.

We had to take the wee man to out of hours today - he had a temp of 39.4˚ and Calpol wasn't helping. Poor wee mannie just sat and cuddled into me all day, which he never does - he's the most un-cuddly baby in the world, never stops wriggling usually. Doc said it's probably teeth or something viral. He's had 2 teeth pop through in the last week, so I suppose it could be teeth, but he's never been this bad with teeth before. Ah well, he's sleeping now, hope we have a better night tonight than last night, that was awful :(

Oh no poor wee man. How's he doing this morning?

I've always found Pampers to be pretty good, but you have to make sure you have the leg cuffs the right way. If they're tucked inside the nappy, you'll get leakage.

Agree with that.

Can't say I've researched extensively (and to hell with that real nappy nonsense, that's far too much work) but we found Pampers to be much better than the couple of other brands we tried. And likewise that they work better with the leg cuffs outside.

Thomas maybe had two or three episodes before he went onto solids where the poo leaked out and either down his leg or up his back, but not many. Steven hasn't had any like that yet so far as I know.

Thanks for the advice re nappies and leaky pooh chaps, much appreciated. Thankfully it's fairly obvious when she is having a poo so it is generally possible to take action promptly to prevent leakage, but on the occasions when it isn't detected it goes everywhere (over the nappy up her back, up her tummy) and of course she is kicking away and the poo gets all over her legs, feet and me, which is fun.

I use real nappies until I went back to work, my father in law wasn't sure about them so we moved onto whatever is on offer in the supermarket! I still use real ones now and then.

I don't find them any more work than disposables, to be honest. I do a washing of just nappies about once a week, so it's not really a hardship. We've saved a fortune.

Callum's a bit better today - he's been dosed up on Calpol and Nurofen, and he's perked up a bit. Still had a high temperature this morning. He slept for almost 13 hours last night, when normally he'll sleep for 10. So I had a nice, unexpected, long lie!

Edited by Reina

I don't find them any more work than disposables, to be honest. I do a washing of just nappies about once a week, so it's not really a hardship. We've saved a fortune.

Callum's a bit better today - he's been dosed up on Calpol and Nurofen, and he's perked up a bit. Still had a high temperature this morning. He slept for almost 13 hours last night, when normally he'll sleep for 10. So I had a nice, unexpected, long lie!

Neither did I, just felt I was asking enough of my FiL without scaring him with the folding of nappies too!

Glad Callum is feeling a bit better :)

I know I've said it before, but I loved having a nice long line of bright white nappies on a summer day. I didn't find them much more inconvenient, but even if I had it'd be worth it for that.

Glad all the little ones seem to be perking up a bit. :)

Guest The Phoenix

Washable nappies? Most people reckon they don't leak like disposables. I didn't have problems with mine when I used them.

:o

I remember the real nappy lady coming to our NCT class to get us to consider the environment. She was explaining how you put the disposable liner inside the nappy and I had to ask if the liner was biodegradable. Nope!

She then went on to tell us about the nappy bin you put them in and how they would come and collect them to wash. Apparently mass washing them in batches is better in the long run, for some reason. My wife asked how, once we had bought our real nappies available in a variety of colours and designs, they would get the right nappies back to the right parents. They couldn't, you just handed over x amount of nappies and got x amount back, but it was OK bececause they were sterile clean and you'd be using the non-biodegradable liners anyway.

This prompted another guy to ask how much it cost to keep the electric powered nappy enviro-truck on the road. Guess what? They used a normal diesel truck to drive around Barnet collecting shat-in nappies.

We use Pampers.

I remember the real nappy lady coming to our NCT class to get us to consider the environment. She was explaining how you put the disposable liner inside the nappy and I had to ask if the liner was biodegradable. Nope!

She then went on to tell us about the nappy bin you put them in and how they would come and collect them to wash. Apparently mass washing them in batches is better in the long run, for some reason. My wife asked how, once we had bought our real nappies available in a variety of colours and designs, they would get the right nappies back to the right parents. They couldn't, you just handed over x amount of nappies and got x amount back, but it was OK bececause they were sterile clean and you'd be using the non-biodegradable liners anyway.

This prompted another guy to ask how much it cost to keep the electric powered nappy enviro-truck on the road. Guess what? They used a normal diesel truck to drive around Barnet collecting shat-in nappies.

We use Pampers.

Well that all sounds a right waste of time and money to me,you would be better washing the nappies at home.

See instead of the liners for the nappies cant you just use muslin(SP?) nappy liners? I am sure someone said that you can wash these and use them again. :unsure:

Well that all sounds a right waste of time and money to me,you would be better washing the nappies at home.

See instead of the liners for the nappies cant you just use muslin(SP?) nappy liners? I am sure someone said that you can wash these and use them again. :unsure:

Yeah, that's what I used for my son.

I looked into that service once, and it works out absolutely no cheaper than using disposables. They sell it on being better for the environment, which I'm sure it is, but it would be even better if you just washed your own at home, and an awful lot cheaper as well.

I use biodegradable liners and wash them at home. I'll be using these nappies for any kids we have in the future, too. I'm not doing it for the environment, I'm doing it because it saves me a fortune!

I use biodegradable liners and wash them at home. I'll be using these nappies for any kids we have in the future, too. I'm not doing it for the environment, I'm doing it because it saves me a fortune!

Exactly! The environment is a bit of a concern, but to be honest, it's the pocket that worries me more! Disposables are great for when they're tiny and their poo is nearly liquid, or even for when you're out and about, but I never found the reusable ones any more work than the disposable. You've got washing to do anyway, so it's only an extra load (if you'll pardon the phrase) every couple of days. If you've got the shaped ones, it's just the same. If you've got the terry squares, you just fold them to the right shape when you're putting them away and they're ready for when they're needed. If I had a washing line or a tumble drier, I'd be using them as well.

The real nappies certainly seem like something worth considering. The only problem would be washing them-we live in a 2nd floor flat and only have a small communal drying green out the back, so if someone else gets their first you're screwed. Plus the lovely Scottish spring weather isn't conducive to quick drying. Shall look into it though