Pregnancy And Parenting

No need to apologise, I don't mind. There are no signs. When she had a swab taken a good few months ago, it was found. There are no symptoms and it is completely harmless for the carrier. It can be a problem for the baby if the bacteria is in the birth canal.

I should have added that it can come and go, and she may well not be a carrier now.

Yeah, I had swabs taken when I miscarried about 4 years ago now and it was then they found it. They say I may well not carry now but no point risking it. There is a campaign to have all woman swabed, it became more well known my consultant said because of a story line in Corination Street!

It has to be IV, or at least that's the impression we have. The antibiotics have to be administered every four hours, so a water birth is possible if the hospital allows it. I think the ABs can be administered at home, but the advice will always be to go into the hospital. We didn't consider a home birth and my wife's not really bothered about the birthing pool either (but has not ruled it out completely). Is it not possible to get IV injections at home? Sorry if that's a stupid question!

No. You can be strep b free a week before labour and then it could be back during the big day itself.

There is an excellent leaflet here and I think p24 answers most of your questions.

Cheers. I've had a look just at p24 - I might bookmark or print the rest to read later as my interest has been sparked by this thread.

Some areas won't permit intravenous antibiotics to be given at home - there is a small risk that you would get

a severe allergic reaction to the antibiotics... and, obviously, there is no intensive care unit nearby. The risk is small but your health professionals may be anxious.

It seems it's down to policy then. Or a woman's (or couple's) ability to find out about and strength to fight for what she feels best for her and her baby. Most people won't feel that strongly I guess and will go for the hospital option to follow policy. I'd love to know more about whether home births are denied in various places on grounds of the mother and baby's safety. On the back of that I'd also be very interested to know the difference in timing between a woman on a labour ward reaching intensive care on hitting a problem and that of a woman at home in the same circumstances. When you give birth at home the Ambulance Service are informed when the midwives first attend and you're made a priority if an ambulance is called for. Some women (and yes, I'm talking from a personal perspective here) would just rather the comfort, safety, security and confidence of being in their own home surrounded by their own things to help them cope better with the birth overall. Perhaps I'm just playing devil's advocate here re the antibiotics, but it's a valid point.

My first class about labour/birth was just about standing room only, the second one had thinned out a wee bit, and the breastfeeding one had maybe half the initial group of people present.

I've had someone turn up at one of my classes in labour. There's dedication for you! :D I was particularly pleased as often people choose not to come to the bf class, despite it being a part of the course as a whole. It isn't just for people who intend to breastfeed - it can be a really useful place for discussion and for those who don't breastfeed their own babies to understand why others do. If handled appropriately it can really bridge gaps.

There is a campaign to have all woman swabed

Overreaction, maybe? I can't help but think it'll end up overdiagnosed and with too many women receiving treatment for something they don't have.

Was indeed a brilliant day and the wee man was star of the show. :D

Sounds fab. Lovely to hear the Christening went well and you've all enjoyed it. :)

However, the continuing exposure to antibiotics in the milk can change the way the baby acquires its gut flora (the bugs the baby gets from its mother that help to digest food) and this can affect the way that the baby’s poo changes in the first days of life. So you should make sure your medical professionals know you intend to breastfeed your baby.

Going back to the leaflet on Strep B in pregnancy/birth, the above quote is in the breastfeeding section. If you don't want to hear my take on it then I'd stop reading now and skip to the next post :P. Still, this is the pregnancy thread so probably the best place to find anyone interested. :)

I can't speak for the validity of the information given in the quote - I'm commenting here on the assumption that it is right. I always bear in mind that some of the information that is printed about breastfeeding is not based on any research at all but on opinion or misinterpretation of facts. I dare say I could find out more so if anyone's going to challenge me then I guess I'd better say I'm prepared to do more homework to find out the actual position.

What isn't mentioned is that the way the gut flora is acquired is affected by ANYTHING other than breastmilk. So a mother doesn't breastfeed her baby after reading this information - unless her baby is fed donated breastmilk then they will be fed artificial formula which also changes the gut flora. Surely if this is the main consideration for a Strep B carrying mother when thinking about feeding, it would be useful to understand this so they can decide whether they want to make a decision to permanently change that gut flora by using formula in the long-term or whether to breastfeed, accept that the flora may be affected by the antibiotics but that the breastmilk will continue to protect the baby and that the antibiotics which are potentially causing the changes will be gone once the antibiotics are out of the mother's system and therefore no longer in her milk. I think I may have overcomplicated that, but it does say what I intended it to (just not very succinctly - it's getting towards bedtime!).

I daresay there's only Ayrgirl and Rowan reading now. *waves* Thanks for sticking with it guys.

My son has gone from being an angel to being a miserable little tyke who refuses to sleep and is now refusing to drink his milk as well. He's perfectly happy for some periods of time, and the rest he's a nightmare. We have a 7 month check for him tomorrow and I'm tempted to ask if the Health Visitor if she wants to keep him.

I like the way Reina is keeping away because she doesn't want to be seen as the sadact who's back on P&B just two days after the birth of her first child...

Not at all! I tried to get on on Sat with my phone and it got as far as login, then no further... Thanks for all the kind wishes! Callum David was born at 12:11pm on 30th July and weighed 7lb 7.5oz. He's absolutely beautiful, but I'm biased of course! Labour was awful, as expected, but I've already forgotten much of the pain! Am very sore now though, have a third degree tear... :ph34r: Hospital have given me lots of drugs to help me recover! Got through the birth on gas and air only (was 7cm dilated when I arrived at hospital!!) but my contractions slowed down at about 11am and he decided to be awkward so they got out the ventouse cap and pulled him out. After about 15 mins of skin-to-skin, I got wheeled down to theatre for stitches (with a spinal, what I wouldn't have given to get that 5 hours previously, it was bliss!) so couldn't do much that night - poor midwife got the first nappy! We're getting on fine though. :)

Was indeed a brilliant day and the wee man was star of the show. :D

Congrats!!

Guest The Phoenix
Adam has gone from being an angel to being a miserable little tyke who refuses to sleep and is now refusing to drink his milk as well. He's perfectly happy for some periods of time, and the rest he's a nightmare. I have made an appointment for him tomorrow and I'm tempted to ask if the Health Visitor if she wants to keep him.

I can see your point. ;)

Not at all! I tried to get on on Sat with my phone and it got as far as login, then no further... Thanks for all the kind wishes! Callum David was born at 12:11pm on 30th July and weighed 7lb 7.5oz. He's absolutely beautiful, but I'm biased of course! Labour was awful, as expected, but I've already forgotten much of the pain! Am very sore now though, have a third degree tear... :ph34r: Hospital have given me lots of drugs to help me recover! Got through the birth on gas and air only (was 7cm dilated when I arrived at hospital!!) but my contractions slowed down at about 11am and he decided to be awkward so they got out the ventouse cap and pulled him out. After about 15 mins of skin-to-skin, I got wheeled down to theatre for stitches (with a spinal, what I wouldn't have given to get that 5 hours previously, it was bliss!) so couldn't do much that night - poor midwife got the first nappy! We're getting on fine though. :)

Congrats!!

We want pictures! :lol:

They didn't have the decency to episiotomy you? Poor soul, 3rd degree tear, oww. 12 stiches after aforementioned procedure was bad enough!

:)

Got through the birth on gas and air only (was 7cm dilated when I arrived at hospital!!)

Well done you. Good effort all round. And pretty much right on the money with the date as well!

I now feel somewhat inadequate - after 4 days in hospital getting encouraged along I didn't even get to 4cm!

My son has gone from being an angel to being a miserable little tyke who refuses to sleep and is now refusing to drink his milk as well. He's perfectly happy for some periods of time, and the rest he's a nightmare. We have a 7 month check for him tomorrow and I'm tempted to ask if the Health Visitor if she wants to keep him.

Wait til later ;)

Congrats again Debbie. Sounds like you've had a tough time but I'm sure it's all been worth it. It's true what they say, you forget very quickly. Enjoy yourselves.