Pregnancy And Parenting

We did all four Ante-Natal Classes at Cresswell, Dumfries. We were just about the only people who did though. Considering how many people must be due in any given month, the first class had about four other couples there and whilst some of them did 2 or 3 weeks, I don't think anyone else attended all four. Still, I suppose it's only really for first time parents so that's bound to cut numbers.

We certainly did the hospital tour. I think it helped know what to expect and where you'd be.

We didn't bother with a 'birthing plan' either. Had we written anything then "whatever the midwife says" would also have been what we put!

The only ante-natal class I was interested in was to find out what to expect during labour. All I was really told by anyone was "It hurts like hell, but you forget all about it after", which wasn't particularly helpful! While true, I prefer knowing all about the physiology of it too so I know exactly what's happening when and the class certainly helped with that. As for childcare, I'm from a huge family so I don't think there's anything in those early weeks they teach you about that I've not come across before, so I was lucky in that respect that I had limitless resources for advice and help.

I think birthing plans would be a fine idea if you could tell babies and your body exactly what's in them and make them comply. I imagine an awful lot of birthing plans say things like "I want a natural labour, no pain relief and as little medical intervention as possible".

Not read the whole thread & don't know what strep b is, lazy mebut, for what it's worth....

My partner got epilepsy with our daughter ( She'll be 6 in Jan 2010) and it got worse after the birth. Progressive epilepsy is a bit of a sod but where we are but didn't stop us having the wee fella. Allbeit with a lot of hospital visits and stuff ya don't need.

Main thing is kids are brilliant. Happy helathy and love each other loads.

Kindest wishes and enjoy. There really is nothing better.

(hole in one comes kinda close though!)

Either had I until a few months ago. If you're interested, have a look here. It just means that my wife will have to have antibiotics administered intravenously at four hourly intervals at the onset of labour.

MB's put a link here all about it.

Either had I until a few months ago. If you're interested, have a look here. It just means that my wife will have to have antibiotics administered intravenously at four hourly intervals at the onset of labour.
Like you m8 I gonna have to trawl the thread. Price to pay for not paying attention (insert embarrassed smiley here).

Anyone help? (see above!)

Try the link in the quote above yours :D

Might aswell ask, What is Strep B?

Asked wife and she has no clue either, i tried looking it up but i still dont understand what it means.

I'm sure someone else could explain it much better than me, but here goes. Group B Streptoccocus is a common bacteria carried by many men and women. Estimates suggest that perhaps as many as a third of women carry it in their intestines. It is completely harmless, unless it is also to be found in the vagina and comes into contact with the baby during birth. Many babies come into contact with the bacteria during labour with no ill effects whatsoever. Many women will carry the bacteria but will not have a clue about it. In some cases, however complications can result after birth and the baby can be infected, e.g. the baby can contract meningitis. To prevent this risk, women can be administered antibiotics intravenously during labour. This must be done every four hours. Mrs MB and the baby (when it eventually arrives) will be monitored in hospital for 48 hours after birth.

I hope that helps and if I haven't explained it very well perhaps someone with more than 'internet' knowledge and a couple of brief discussions with a midwife will help me out.

Ok sorry for asking MB but what signs did Mrs MB have when you found this out?

No need to apologise, I don't mind. There are no signs. When she had a swab taken a good few months ago, it was found. There are no symptoms and it is completely harmless for the carrier. It can be a problem for the baby if the bacteria is in the birth canal.

I should have added that it can come and go, and she may well not be a carrier now.

LOL Smart arse!

I'd actually copy and paste the thing to save linking. Just me. :P

What and then have everyone having to scrawl through it. You wouldn't want to do that. Trust me.

My wife has not had any swabs taken as far as im aware as she is only 20? Would that be right? Or am i talking poo?

I don't think women get regular smear tests until they're at least 25, unless they're on the pill in which case they should be tested for cervical cancer etc every 3 years or so.

Jesus! Fairly serious potentially then. I can only presume the wife was tested for it and didn't have it then because I don't ever recall it being mentioned to us and she wasn't on anti-biotics during labour so far as I am aware.

All the very best of luck with that. :)

The only ante-natal class I was interested in was to find out what to expect during labour. All I was really told by anyone was "It hurts like hell, but you forget all about it after", which wasn't particularly helpful! While true, I prefer knowing all about the physiology of it too so I know exactly what's happening when and the class certainly helped with that. As for childcare, I'm from a huge family so I don't think there's anything in those early weeks they teach you about that I've not come across before, so I was lucky in that respect that I had limitless resources for advice and help.

Personally I had absolutely no childcare experience at all and neither did the wife so I found some of the things in the four week course pretty useful. It wasn't at all what I expected though and I was genuinely surprised that attendance was so poor at it.

Jesus! Fairly serious potentially then. I can only presume the wife was tested for it and didn't have it then because I don't ever recall it being mentioned to us and she wasn't on anti-biotics during labour so far as I am aware.

All the very best of luck with that. :)

Cheers. It was very very scary at first, but we've been assured that there shouldn't be anything to worry about! The fact is that plenty of women will carry Strep B without realising it and the vast majority of babies do not get an infection. Hospitals do not test for it; Mrs MB had a swab taken for some other potential problem that turned out to be nothing, but it did turn up Strep B. I'll certainly be keeping an eye on my watch just to make sure she gets the antibiotics every four hours.

We didn't bother with a 'birthing plan' either. Had we written anything then "whatever the midwife says" would also have been what we put!

It's funny how people's perceptions of that differ. First time around I think I would have just done as I was told. Knowing what I know now I'd take no notice of what anyone was telling me unless it was an out and out safety/risk based thing. ie, "advice" would be unwelcome, information about any risk to my baby would be taken on board and acted on - so when they wanted to call an ambulance rather than let me continue at home with Scott I just let them do it. I was fortunate enough to have no complications and used the system in the best possible way, chose my own midwife and made sure everything was organised for my convenience rather than anyone else's.

here. It just means that my wife will have to have antibiotics administered intravenously at four hourly intervals at the onset of labour.

Does that limit your options during labour much? I assume the birthing pool would be out with a drip in (although I can actually see that that shouldn't follow, I think policy would rule it out). Would they administer the ABs in a birthing centre or at home or does it have to be IV? I don't know a thing about it.

The only ante-natal class I was interested in was to find out what to expect during labour.

That was exactly what I didn't want to know. Stupidly. Maybe if I'd known more then I'd have had a better birth with Sam, but you live and learn and it's all experience I guess. Without that birth maybe I wouldn't have opted for home births with the other two, which was the best decision I could have come to.

I should have added that it can come and go, and she may well not be a carrier now.

Do they retest then before the due date to see if it's necessary?

My wife has not had any swabs taken as far as im aware as she is only 20? Would that be right? Or am i talking poo?

Not something that's tested for as standard, I don't think?

Edited by HGG

Does that limit your options during labour much? I assume the birthing pool would be out with a drip in (although I can actually see that that shouldn't follow, I think policy would rule it out). Would they administer the ABs in a birthing centre or at home or does it have to be IV? I don't know a think about it.

It has to be IV, or at least that's the impression we have. The antibiotics have to be administered every four hours, so a water birth is possible if the hospital allows it. I think the ABs can be administered at home, but the advice will always be to go into the hospital. We didn't consider a home birth and my wife's not really bothered about the birthing pool either (but has not ruled it out completely). Is it not possible to get IV injections at home? Sorry if that's a stupid question!

Do they retest then before the due date to see if it's necessary?

No. You can be strep b free a week before labour and then it could be back during the big day itself.

There is an excellent leaflet here and I think p24 answers most of your questions.

Look at all the possibilities and drive yurself nuts, or, do what I did.

Enjoy the baby and then ask.

Turned out good for me.

Thmem women might be bitches but nurture babies.

shame they no consider us that do all the worrying! lol

Look at all the possibilities and drive yurself nuts, or, do what I did.

Enjoy the baby and then ask.

Turned out good for me.

Thmem women might be bitches but nurture babies.

shame they no consider us that do all the worrying! lol

I don't think I'm that worried, but come the moment of truth who knows what I'll be like! Just think, at some point in the next few weeks there will be a little baby in my house and I'm supposed to help look after it! I think that'll be scary, but I can't bloody wait for it.

Guest Dunc?

I like the way Reina is keeping away because she doesn't want to be seen as the sadact who's back on P&B just two days after the birth of her first child...

Where is it you are giving birth if you dont mind me asking since you said it wasnt ninewells? Unless its a home birth.

My wife finished her antenatal just on wednesday and she never had any of this <_<

I don't mind you askin at all, but I am a bit shy about identifying myself on t'internet. What the feck the bairn is due to be born.....in Fife! :lol:

My first class about labour/birth was just about standing room only, the second one had thinned out a wee bit, and the breastfeeding one had maybe half the initial group of people present.

It's my first so I am happy enough to go and see what the classes are like. No mention of looking round the hospital yet, will maybe need to organise it myself as I fancy a nosy round.

I'll certainly be keeping an eye on my watch just to make sure she gets the antibiotics every four hours.

May as well get used to it early. It'll be feeds every four hours after the baby is born! That's a killer in the middle of the night.

Just think, at some point in the next few weeks there will be a little baby in my house and I'm supposed to help look after it! I think that'll be scary, but I can't bloody wait for it.

Indeed, and as a complete novice six months ago, I don't think there's anything can prepare you for that short of experience. What a journey it is!

Christening today and the Sun is shining. Lovely day (and we won yesterday and took a pile of cash from Mr Ladbroke in doing so). Gonna be a good day I think with family and friends. :D