Pregnancy And Parenting

The Top to Toe stuff is good, although if I'm honest, if I was buying his bath stuff myself (we're STILL using the stuff we were given when he was born! I can't believe how far this stuff goes), I'd use something that doesn't foam in the bath, as it causes dryness. Thankfully, he doesn't seem to have trouble with his skin at all, but then I only use the tiniest drop to make as little lather as possible.

I said I was going to use terry nappies. Hasn't actually worked out at all! I did for my second though and I actually really enjoyed it. It's a pain in the winter, but in the summer it's brilliant getting a washing line full of bright, white terry nappies. :D We just don't have the room here to dry them all.

If you have radiators or storage heaters you can get these small drying rack things for hanging washing on to dry.

Speaking of dry skin,when mine was born she had a really dry scalp(I can't remember what the name for it is?) and I had to use oil on her head as it was really dry and very flaky. :(

If you have radiators or storage heaters you can get these small drying rack things for hanging washing on to dry.

Speaking of dry skin,when mine was born she had a really dry scalp(I can't remember what the name for it is?) and I had to use oil on her head as it was really dry and very flaky. :(

Craddle cap?

Craddle cap?

Yeah that's the one. It was really bad on the top of her head,and big clumps of skin kept coming off,it was like that for ages as well,and her hair didn't grow in well when she had it. :( Not that she had much hair in the first place. :lol:

He occasionally looks in, which is why I got bollocked by Reina for inadvertantly posting a pic of her wedding dress before they got married! Swiftly deleted the post, BTW after quite rightly being called a plank by several P&B'ers! :lol:

From my own experience, I think Ryan will literally have his hands full at the moment whilst Debs has a well earned rest.

Ryan - you can't put him back now - your world's just turned upside down, mate. Enjoy! ;)

I so wanted to be up there to see how the hell Ryan apadts to having a child. In all honesty I can see wee one being spoilt rotten. As long has he has his mothers football skills! lol

Debs is doing well and sprog feeding well.

Any idea of how Ryan is doing? I've been trying to get in touch with him for 2 days.

My eldest had quite bad cradle cap so I had to use baby oil on that, but he also had eczema as well, so he was covered head to toe in all sorts of creams for it. Charlie's got a bit of cradle cap now, but most of it is flaking away by itself, so I'm inclined to just leave it rather than do anything that might irritate him or make it worse.

I've got drying racks for all our washing, but because we're south-facing, we get the sun all day and it's too hot in here at the best of times, even without the heating on. I don't think I could bear putting the radiators on as well. Charlie spends most of his time in just his vest or vest and t-shirt because it's just so warm - and he still gets a sweaty head then!

I so wanted to be up there to see how the hell Ryan apadts to having a child. In all honesty I can see wee one being spoilt rotten. As long has he has his mothers football skills! lol

Any idea of how Ryan is doing? I've been trying to get in touch with him for 2 days.

TBF, he's a first time dad.

Given that it was 10 years ago, I still remember quite vividly the utter space cadet-edness that I went through when Alexandra was born: I phoned the in-laws and neglected to state: the sex of babbit, the weight of babbit, how Pammy was, pretty much everything excluding the fact that "the baby's born"... Pam went into labour early doors on Wed 28th July and we left a message with them at one or two in the morning - they didn't even know that Alex was born in the afternoon on the 29th until I phoned them (the third time) later.

Still, I got to watch the dobs v some scandinavian outit on the telly in the matty ward (can you believe that Pam was actually ok with that???? put it down to the drugs :) )

Who's next btw? Is it G_Man?

The wife is going to be taking insulin or taking some sort ot tablet, find out on tuesday

If it's insulin she's needing, I don't think you can have a tablet for that. :unsure: McB or Hootie will probably know better than me though.

Who's next btw? Is it G_Man?

I'm sure someone the other day said they had about 2 weeks to go. Can't remember who though. :huh:

My eldest had quite bad cradle cap so I had to use baby oil on that, but he also had eczema as well, so he was covered head to toe in all sorts of creams for it. Charlie's got a bit of cradle cap now, but most of it is flaking away by itself, so I'm inclined to just leave it rather than do anything that might irritate him or make it worse.

I've got drying racks for all our washing, but because we're south-facing, we get the sun all day and it's too hot in here at the best of times, even without the heating on. I don't think I could bear putting the radiators on as well. Charlie spends most of his time in just his vest or vest and t-shirt because it's just so warm - and he still gets a sweaty head then!

Alexandra had really bad eczema and cradle cap - she lost pretty much all of her hair; however we found that, although quite smelly, Olive Oil somewhat lessened the process.

What like is the space in front of your gaff?

We stayed in an East facing flat in Arbroath when Alexandra was a nipper and I used to put on a wash c.5.30am to hang out at the back of 6 before I went to work. by the time Pam and Alex got up, the 100mph Lichtie wind had almost freeze-dried the washing.

Alexandra had really bad eczema and cradle cap - she lost pretty much all of her hair; however we found that, although quite smelly, Olive Oil somewhat lessened the process.

We stayed in an East facing flat in Arbroath when Alexandra was a nipper and I used to put on a wash c.5.30am to hang out at the back of 6 before I went to work. by the time Pam and Alex got up, the 100mph Lichtie wind had almost freeze-dried the washing.

I use olive oil to massage Ruairidh and treat any dry spots. Works a treat.

To be honest im not to sure what the script is, i find out more on tuesday. Basically her blood count is starting to get to high. 8.5 at times and we should be aiming between 4-7. Yet sometimes she hasnt had alot to eat. So i remember cheryl saying there could be a tablet she can take instead of taking insulin. I could be wrong on this though

You may be right, I just rememer being taught about insulin in biology at college (and we're talking a good 10 years ago now) and how if it goes in your stomach it denatures in the stomach acid and becomes useless. As I say, it was a while ago, so it could have all changed since then!

It's one of the busier roads in Glasgow! We're up on the first floor and we've got a balcony so the washing goes out there on the clothes horse when it's nice out, but on any normal day it's as quick drying in here as it is out there, and there's less chance of rain! We don't really have the drying space to get a load of terry nappies and our own washing on there, unfortunately.

I'm sure someone the other day said they had about 2 weeks to go. Can't remember who though. :huh:

That'll be me then. Mrs MB is due on 12 August. She's ready now!

To be honest im not to sure what the script is, i find out more on tuesday. Basically her blood count is starting to get to high. 8.5 at times and we should be aiming between 4-7. Yet sometimes she hasnt had alot to eat. So i remember cheryl saying there could be a tablet she can take instead of taking insulin. I could be wrong on this though
You may be right, I just rememer being taught about insulin in biology at college (and we're talking a good 10 years ago now) and how if it goes in your stomach it denatures in the stomach acid and becomes useless. As I say, it was a while ago, so it could have all changed since then!

Nah, it's still the same - Insulin has to be taken into the blood for it to work. The stomach rapidly goes through it, as it were. Entirely different if the blood sugar is too low of course.

Chin up though Graham, this is quite common, so don't panic - Cheryl will be fine. As will babbit. And I'll see you in Braes to buy you a big fook-off triple pint of Deuchars (or whatever your poison: they do an awesome Deuchars though).

LM - see pm

Re. the insulin thing, that does have to be injected subcutaneously or intravenously, but there are tablets which can have the same effect (i.e. lowering the blood glucose level)

Edited by McB

Re. the insulin thing, that does have to be injected subcutaneously or intravenously, but there are tablets which can have the same effect (i.e. lowering the blood glucose level)

I've got a system that I coded 4 years ago that has these - I still don't actually know what these mean, lol.

I'll tell you when you're older. :P

Seriously, if you really want to know, Google search "meconium". I advise against it unless you're a bit of a sicko or about to become a parent, though.

Mmm, I never really had a problem with it. People went on and on and on about it but it didn't bother me at all. If it comes out of his backside I'll clean it. I don't really see what the fuss is about. It came out, I cleaned it up. Liquid shit comes out I clean that. Some more solid stuff appears, I clean that. No problem, never really seen what the fuss is? Indeed the wife has been known to phone to check how far away I am when he poos because it doesn't bother me at all to clean him up and she doesn't like doing it.

MB I think (Maxwelltown Boy, Queens fan).

I've got a system that I coded 4 years ago that has these - I still don't actually know what these mean, lol.

:lol:

It's amazing the amount of medical terminology (aka 'bad medical chat') that my parents and boyfriend have picked up since I qualified.

(into the tissue under the skin (i.e. fat) and into a vein btw. i know you probably don't care, but pfft :P)

Hope all is going well Reina. Remeber to breath now. :P
C'mon Reina....breathe, breathe and PUUUUUSH! :)
Right people, puuuuuushhhhhhh, aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand breathe.

You know, if anyone - ANYONE - had told me to either push or breathe while I was giving birth I'd have at the very least bitten their head right off and fed it to the dog (I don't have a dog but I'd have found one). It's about the most ridiculous thing you can say to a woman giving birth I reckon and is just far too melodramatic! Pisses me right off. <_<

Many congratulations to Haitch and Debs on the arrival of your little ones. :D Hope all's going well for you all.

I don't :(

Am I the only female that doesn't?

Edit to add:

I know, I know :D

Heck, even *I* knew so it'd have been a poor do if you didn't! :P

Oh Christ, I'd forgotten about that :lol: It's one of these things your not sure about mentioning to pregnant folk, that and episiotomy.

The different stages of poo from thick black meconium right through to runny orangey-yellow mustard seed is something I often find myself speaking to pregnant parents about. And postnatal parents, come to that. Some of the reactions I get to it are quite amusing.

I am now worried about the black nappy. :lol:

Ach, it's not that bad. Someone on here said it smells foul, but I never noticed that with any of my three babies. It's like anything else - when it's your own baby you just get on with it.

I said I was going to use terry nappies. Hasn't actually worked out at all! I did for my second though and I actually really enjoyed it.

I bought some hemp and some bamboo nappies when I was pregnant with Scott. They were both great, but I really like the bamboo ones. It's apparently the kindest fabric you can use on the baby's skin and really absorbent too - my friend used them for her baby when she was hospitalised with eczema and they were so much better than other nappies. I'd definitely use those given the choice.

Edited by HGG

The different stages of poo from thick black meconium right through to runny orangey-yellow mustard seed is something I often find myself speaking to pregnant parents about. And postnatal parents, come to that. Some of the reactions I get to it are quite amusing.

Hehe, we got a photographic example of each from the midwife at Antenatal class this week, lovely!

Hehe, we got a photographic example of each from the midwife at Antenatal class this week, lovely!

If you breast feed you get some weird and wonderful poos! When the wee one was around a week old I have fijitas........big mistake :lol:

That'll be me then. Mrs MB is due on 12 August. She's ready now!

Ah, of course it was! I went back and had a search through the last few pages but I don't think I went far enough.

I've always said August is probably the worst time of year to be heavily pregnant. I don't envy her one bit! Good luck when it comes. :)