Pregnancy And Parenting

Anyone got any experience with the 'Surefix' product of docking station by Mamas and Papas?

Still struggling to fit the car seat into the wife's new car now due to the length of the seat belt. It will physically go in but it's at the absolute limit of it's length to do so and, whilst I can force everything in and make it click into place, the wife can't get it which somewhat defeats the purpose as it's her car. Everything fits in mine fine and always did.

Apparently there's a 'Surefix' base which gets attached to the car using the seat belt and after that you just click the car seat into it. Clicky. Anyone used it? Does it work? Described as "perfect for cars with short seat belts".

Not to be confused with ISOFIX. This is a different thing. Her car isn't equipped for ISOFIX, though again, mine is.

Anyone got any experience with the 'Surefix' product of docking station by Mamas and Papas?

Still struggling to fit the car seat into the wife's new car now due to the length of the seat belt. It will physically go in but it's at the absolute limit of it's length to do so and, whilst I can force everything in and make it click into place, the wife can't get it which somewhat defeats the purpose as it's her car. Everything fits in mine fine and always did.

Apparently there's a 'Surefix' base which gets attached to the car using the seat belt and after that you just click the car seat into it. Clicky. Anyone used it? Does it work? Described as "perfect for cars with short seat belts".

Not to be confused with ISOFIX. This is a different thing. Her car isn't equipped for ISOFIX, though again, mine is.

SD, we have an isofix base that could also be used as a surefix (maxi cosi version) one. In the volvo (which we've just sold) it was so easy, basically it anchors the base in using the three point seatbelt and the car seat fits in the top. No faffing around with the seatbelt every time. The car seat then clicks on top of it.

Very easy and very secure.

Edited by C.J

SD, we have an isofix base that could also be used as a surefix (maxi cosi version) one. In the volvo (which we've just sold) it was so easy, basically it anchors the base in using the three point seatbelt and the car seat fits in the top. No faffing around with the seatbelt every time. The car seat then clicks on top of it.

Very easy and very secure.

Yeah, I was looking for some confirmation that it did the job independently before ordering on the web but I've now managed to find a local shop who have it. And at £60 it's a tenner cheaper than it is online from M&P anyway!

I'm going round to get it just shortly. Good to know it works though.

We had the exact same one of them for the wee fella.

I just took loads of photos with my phone when the wifey 1st fitted it,a nd tried to replicate that every time.

Feck knows if it was ever in properly, also long as the spirit level was fine I was happy.

When he got bigger we went for ISOfix car seats, in both cars, although I wanted the Merc car seat to go with the car.

Surefix base unit purchased and successfully installed in her car with a demo given to her on how to work it. Much easier to fit in now. :D

Sorted until he's too big for the current seat at least! Hell knows what we do after that, I'll worry about it in a few months.

As an added bonus it turns out I won the office bonus ball at the weekend, £90, which paid for it with some change for cakes for everyone here. All is well. :)

Midwife tomorrow for 24 week appointment (although I'll be 23 weeks - can't make it next week and she's only in once a week, so need to get my MATB1 form before 25 weeks). Then I have been invited to antenatal classes on Thursday mornings for the three weeks following. Did any of you fathers go to these with your partners? Ryan's on holiday for the first one, so I figured he could come along?

Edit - almost forgot - nursery furniture is being delivered next week! :D Excited!

Edited by Reina

Heartburn. :(

I had that, seemingly it's a sign of having a boy or a baby with lots of hair :huh:

Re antinatal: We didn't go, the midwife said to us "do you know not to kick the baby across the living room?" Yes "well don't waste your time going!"

I have been invited to antenatal classes on Thursday mornings for the three weeks following. Did any of you fathers go to these with your partners? Ryan's on holiday for the first one, so I figured he could come along?
Re antinatal: We didn't go, the midwife said to us "do you know not to kick the baby across the living room?" Yes "well don't waste your time going!"

Yes, I went to all of them although as they were at 7pm for us it wasn't a hardship time-wise and I didn't need time away from work (though I'd probably have gone even if I had).

I thought they were a bit disappointing in many ways to be honest. I expected all this breathing and floor exercises nonsense that you see on telly but we got none of that. Just talked to and asked some questions. I did feel somewhat inadequate in that I seemed to have less idea than anyone else in the room about the answers to most of the questions. It's also the case that it's taken by a midwife who, not surprisingly is trained in midwifery, not teaching. They aren't natural teachers and it shows (or at least did with us).

I don't think we got nearly as much out of it as I expected to do (and much of what we did get was blackmail about breastfeeding over bottle feeding) but I certainly wouldn't say it was a waste of time. I picked up bits and pieces I didn't know and the half hour we spent one week on first aid for babies and what to do if they stop breathing or start choking could be the best half hour I ever spend in my entire life if the worst happens. I wouldn't have had a clue before (I also turned out to be surprisingly good at it!). The tour of the facilities at the hospital was also very helpful for us as first time parents. Let us know what to expect.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

Did any of you fathers go to these with your partners? Ryan's on holiday for the first one, so I figured he could come along?

Oh yes! I still remember them 16 years on. :rolleyes: Make Ryan go to them - it's you doing all the hard work so he should at least show willing too! ;)

Seriously, it was very helpful, especially when my daughter Roisin was born. For a bloke, changing his newborn daughter's nappy can be a bit of a shock. (Sensitive reader's look away now) For example, I was freaked out by the sight of what appeared to be blood in her nappy and I asked the ante-natal Community Midwife if anything was wrong and what was this discharge. Apparently, due to the high levels of oestrogen in the mother's blood, this transmits to the female baby and soon after birth baby has a 'phantom period' which cleanses her system of the adult hormones.

Just a wee warning for expectant and new father's. Hope that hasn't put you off your breakfast muffin! ;):D

Thanks. :)

I'm going anyway, as I get time off work for them! :P Plus I get a tour of the labour ward in Elgin, so that'll be good. If it's my midwife running it, it'll be great, she's a scream.

I was there a couple of weeks ago for my scan, but didn't see much of it. I've seen A&E a couple of times though... <_< A couple of times too many.

It's a nice hospital though, to be fair.

Yes, I went to all of them although as they were at 7pm for us it wasn't a hardship time-wise and I didn't need time away from work (though I'd probably have gone even if I had).

I thought they were a bit disappointing in many ways to be honest. I expected all this breathing and floor exercises nonsense that you see on telly but we got none of that. Just talked to and asked some questions. I did feel somewhat inadequate in that I seemed to have less idea than anyone else in the room about the answers to most of the questions. It's also the case that it's taken by a midwife who, not surprisingly is trained in midwifery, not teaching. They aren't natural teachers and it shows (or at least did with us).

I don't think we got nearly as much out of it as I expected to do (and much of what we did get was blackmail about breastfeeding over bottle feeding) but I certainly wouldn't say it was a waste of time. I picked up bits and pieces I didn't know and the half hour we spent one week on first aid for babies and what to do if they stop breathing or start choking could be the best half hour I ever spend in my entire life if the worst happens. I wouldn't have had a clue before (I also turned out to be surprisingly good at it!). The tour of the facilities at the hospital was also very helpful for us as first time parents. Let us know what to expect.

Thats the bit I went to first time too, dont think either of us bothered with the other classes.

Sorted until he's too big for the current seat at least! Hell knows what we do after that, I'll worry about it in a few months.

That's the point at which you join Which Online for a month very cheaply and do all the research on which seat is safest before heading off to Halfords to get them to try the best models out in your car so you can see if they fit properly. Hours of your life gone! :lol:

Then I have been invited to antenatal classes on Thursday mornings for the three weeks following. Did any of you fathers go to these with your partners? Ryan's on holiday for the first one, so I figured he could come along?

Never did them myself. From experience now I'd say it should be beneficial for Ryan to go along too.

Did any of you pregnant/new parents do the NCT classes mentioned at the start of this thread?

Apparently, due to the high levels of oestrogen in the mother's blood, this transmits to the female baby and soon after birth baby has a 'phantom period' which cleanses her system of the adult hormones.

Not every new baby girl gets it though.

SD - I think you'd struggle to find someone who does the whole puffing and panting practice in antenatal classes now. Too many parents feel freaked out by it - it's one reason a lot of parents don't do them and was certainly a big factor in me avoiding classes like the plague whilst pregnant with my first.