Pregnancy And Parenting

9 hours ago, Jimmy Shaker said:

They don’t stay little for long, do they? Already bagging up some outfits he doesn’t fit into any more. :(

We've had stuff I've said "it'll be months before she fits that" and 2 weeks later she's too big for it. My mrs mum is getting quite annoyed as she bought a load of summer clothes that were too big for her this summer but will be too small next year. Keeps moaning that she's not wearing summer dresses in the pishing November rain. 

1 hour ago, Andy Dufresne said:

It is 4 years today the grandkids have been staying with us fulltime,no wonder i have no hair and grey in my beard.

Wow, that’s been a fast 4 years. Seems like only 4 months ago you began posting about the situation.

Edited by 8MileBU

I have my first on the way in February. Was told a few months ago that is a wee girl we are expecting. I am excited beyond belief and cannot wait to get started. Doing a longer stretch away the now to get plenty of leave at the back of the bairn being born and I guess it's my time to start thinking of a change of career. It'll be rough missing out on large chunks of her growing up. 

6 hours ago, sailorcowden said:

Doing a longer stretch away the now to get plenty of leave at the back of the bairn being born and I guess it's my time to start thinking of a change of career. It'll be rough missing out on large chunks of her growing up. 

Congratulations!

We welcomed our second a week ago (first was born in March 2020 when the world was going crazy over COVID) and if you like parenthood even a 10th as much as I do then you're in for a treat.

On the highlighted part, undoubtedly the most difficult times of my parenting journey thus far (and I accept that I am far, far less experienced than most on the thread) has been working away.  On a few occasions I've left my wife and son in London and flown to the Middle East for work (and those have only been for 4 or 5 week stints) - to hide the tears I've had to basically wear sunglasses in the tube, in the airport, on the plane and then in the taxi home...

I'm not sure what your job is, but if there is any way that you can work from/near home even for the first few months then I would highly recommend it (and you'll be a far greater help to your other half)!  

P.S. this thread is great for tips and reassurances.

9 hours ago, sailorcowden said:

I have my first on the way in February. Was told a few months ago that is a wee girl we are expecting. I am excited beyond belief and cannot wait to get started. Doing a longer stretch away the now to get plenty of leave at the back of the bairn being born and I guess it's my time to start thinking of a change of career. It'll be rough missing out on large chunks of her growing up. 

Where I am, it's pretty common for either the husband or wife, or sometimes both, to go abroad to work soon after the child is born and they often remain abroad for their kids' whole upbringing.  Basically, they are sacrificing their time with their kids to help them have a better future.  In the 3 streets where I live,  I'd estimate 75% of the families either have one parent working abroad or had one in the past.  A case in point is my wife's best mate - she has been in Hong Kong for the whole of her daughter's life (she's now 16 or 17) and has brought up her bosses' daughter who is around the same age. 

Harsh reality of life for many here and I'm pretty sure 99% of them would have preferred to stay here if they were able to earn close to what they can get abroad.

5 hours ago, arab_joe said:

Congratulations!

We welcomed our second a week ago (first was born in March 2020 when the world was going crazy over COVID) and if you like parenthood even a 10th as much as I do then you're in for a treat.

On the highlighted part, undoubtedly the most difficult times of my parenting journey thus far (and I accept that I am far, far less experienced than most on the thread) has been working away.  On a few occasions I've left my wife and son in London and flown to the Middle East for work (and those have only been for 4 or 5 week stints) - to hide the tears I've had to basically wear sunglasses in the tube, in the airport, on the plane and then in the taxi home...

I'm not sure what your job is, but if there is any way that you can work from/near home even for the first few months then I would highly recommend it (and you'll be a far greater help to your other half)!  

P.S. this thread is great for tips and reassurances.

Thanks a lot! and Congratulations on your second! MUst be great watching your family really take off and come together

I can't imagine what it is going to be like leaving both the wife and the kid to be honest. It was hard enough leaving after we were first married. i go away for around 4 months at a time and though i get about 3 back at the end of it. It's a massive chunk of the year taken out and from reading the thread you could miss so much in that spell. Definitely going to start looking for work shoreside.

3 hours ago, hk blues said:

Where I am, it's pretty common for either the husband or wife, or sometimes both, to go abroad to work soon after the child is born and they often remain abroad for their kids' whole upbringing.  Basically, they are sacrificing their time with their kids to help them have a better future.  In the 3 streets where I live,  I'd estimate 75% of the families either have one parent working abroad or had one in the past.  A case in point is my wife's best mate - she has been in Hong Kong for the whole of her daughter's life (she's now 16 or 17) and has brought up her bosses' daughter who is around the same age. 

Harsh reality of life for many here and I'm pretty sure 99% of them would have preferred to stay here if they were able to earn close to what they can get abroad.

I have worked with a lot of guys from the Phillipines and the sacrifices that they make to make sure their families are taken care of is extraordinary. Really take my hat off to them. Remember about a decade ago when Typhoon Haiyan made landfall over the islands. Guys not knowing if their families were safe or their homes still standing and just getting up to go to work day in day out. It was a very hard time from the outside looking in, nevermind being directly affected by it. Nothing but respect for people who can go through so much time away to care for their folks. 

17 hours ago, sailorcowden said:

I have worked with a lot of guys from the Phillipines and the sacrifices that they make to make sure their families are taken care of is extraordinary. Really take my hat off to them. Remember about a decade ago when Typhoon Haiyan made landfall over the islands. Guys not knowing if their families were safe or their homes still standing and just getting up to go to work day in day out. It was a very hard time from the outside looking in, nevermind being directly affected by it. Nothing but respect for people who can go through so much time away to care for their folks. 

Indeed.

Unfortunately, in many cases they are not only taking care of their own family but the extended family as well.  

My 7 year old came home with a letter from school on Thursday to say a poem he had written in class had been selected for publishing in a childrens book being released at the end of January. We had to give permission for this first but how can you say no? 

Beyond proud of him, his mum and I have been telling everybody we know yet he couldn't care less