Pregnancy And Parenting

That's my wee boy just turned 1 last week.  Incredible how fast it goes and it's fair to say he was spoilt rotten.

Of course the best gift is the bloody box his new toy came in.  Christmas I'm just going to get him some flat pack boxes and it'll make his year :D 

That's my wee boy just turned 1 last week.  Incredible how fast it goes and it's fair to say he was spoilt rotten.
Of course the best gift is the bloody box his new toy came in.  Christmas I'm just going to get him some flat pack boxes and it'll make his year [emoji3] 
We got a handful of gifts for our ones when they were one and put the money we would have spent into their savings accounts. I just found it pointless spending that money on toys that they'd be grown out of in no time and as you say, they prefer the boxes anyway!

33 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:
1 hour ago, The Minertaur said:
Of course the best gift is the bloody box his new toy came in.  Christmas I'm just going to get him some flat pack boxes and it'll make his year emoji3.png 

We got a handful of gifts for our ones when they were one and put the money we would have spent into their savings accounts. I just found it pointless spending that money on toys that they'd be grown out of in no time and as you say, they prefer the boxes anyway!

That's actually a really good idea.  In fairness we didn't spend much on him - we've just moved to a new house so we bought him stuff for his bedroom so at least he'll get the use of it.

Christmas is a different story though - might put the money into savings if the wife agrees.....

2 hours ago, The Minertaur said:

Of course the best gift is the bloody box his new toy came in.  Christmas I'm just going to get him some flat pack boxes and it'll make his year :D 

You can get the boxes and bits bubble wrap I've now got spare after the house move!

Bit of a shit storm going on across the country at the moment with nurseries still not knowing how much they will be awarded from local authorities towards the 1140 hours of free provided childcare.

Loads of nurseries still running on 2018 rates and at risk of closure due to increased running costs etc.

Incredible levels of incompetency from various LAs.

https://www.nurseryworld.co.uk/news/article/scottish-childcare-settings-in-nearly-half-of-local-authorities-don-t-know-their-new-funding-rate

Edited by Abdul_Latif

On 12/08/2022 at 20:47, Andy Dufresne said:

We approached his years ago saying we did not want money only him to be involved in his life abs he refused.

Aby money we get for the wee man will be going into a bank account to help him when his is older.

I get what you are saying, but sometimes it's best if a disinterested parent isn't on the scene. 

My step-daughter's father didn't want anything to do with her. So she had just me and it was really simple. 

He paid some child support and it all went on her. 

My laddie goes into Primary 6 tomorrow, absolutely mental. Can still remember his first day at nursery like it was yesterday and now only two more years and he'll be ready for the big school. Just finished getting his new uniform ironed and ready and made up his piece. He's in the cream puff knowing summer holidays are over 😆

Youngest starts school tomorrow.

No change in lifestyle for me since her whole 2 years at nursery was 1140 hours, but still, I can already tell the pollen count is going to be extraordinarily high tomorrow. She's less ready for this than her big sister.

I think she will be OK tbh, but she's just more of a worry than the eldest.

4 hours ago, Abdul_Latif said:

Bit of a shit storm going on across the country at the moment with nurseries still not knowing how much they will be awarded from local authorities towards the 1140 hours of free provided childcare.

Loads of nurseries still running on 2018 rates and at risk of closure due to increased running costs etc.

Incredible levels of incompetency from various LAs.

https://www.nurseryworld.co.uk/news/article/scottish-childcare-settings-in-nearly-half-of-local-authorities-don-t-know-their-new-funding-rate

The roll out of extended provision was rushed and badly executed. I worked in a nursery for a while, people back in job who hadn't done it for 15 years and no clue. Estimated 5 years to train and back fill enough staff. A bare cold cloak room commandeered as a play space to increase capacity. 

Idea in principle was fine, but if we're going to have a Scandinavian approach we need to have high quality staff  and facilities.

My daughter starts school tomorrow. Theoretically she will be the youngest pupil at the school as her bday is the last day of February right before the cut off date.

EF0E2B28-7422-446B-9C3E-CD3571A2E3EF.gif

Edited by throbber

My youngest started secondary school today. Feels strange to say the least - first time on many years I haven't had a kid in primary school. 

She was nervous yesterday - checking and re-checking her bag. Hope it goes well for her today.