Pregnancy And Parenting

My youngest daughter will be home in 10 minutes, and that'll be her done with primary school. 
A strange feeling not to have kids of that age any more. 
After 4 years on the belt of going to the nursery every day, il be doing my last pickup from there today. Youngest be going to p1 next year. Will genuinely miss their nursery teachers.

Thing about the nursery is theres always loads of stuff blowing about that gets in your eyes.

On 20/06/2022 at 11:18, The Moonster said:

Aye, she felt guilty having to stop breastfeeding on Thursday but now she sees the difference in the baby it's just a no brainer. The midwives are all brilliant and have been fully supportive but we also had a specific breastfeeding women out to the house and whilst she was lovely, she definitely was of the mind to keep her breastfeeding in some capacity and it became a bit of a war between the midwife saying "don't listen to her" and the breastfeeding woman saying "oh its great for your baby if you can keep it going even if its just now and then". I also think the fact we hadn't been to a single ante-natal class (all classes off for "covid reasons" and we didn't have much option for private classes) it didn't really give her the opportunity to talk to people who have been through it. 

Wean just been weighed this morning and she's up on her birth weight after losing 9% in the first few days, so we're delighted. 

Good to hear things are looking up mate - that must’ve been a horrendous few days but It’s amazing how resilient they are eh?

Can relate to the breastfeeding issue - my wife has always been of the mindset of “give it a try and see how it goes” and she’s had her ups and downs over the last couple of weeks when breastfeeding. He’s got all the colostrum and a lot of early breastfeeding which I’ve said is already great, but the wee man can be latched on for over an hour, seems to feed and is still hungry, which really upsets her. I find it to be a bit of a challenge too, because my (male) logic says “well let’s just give him formula” given it’s worked well also, but there’s definitley something at play which makes women a bit more emotional about being able to breastfeed. When we’ve gone back to the formula she’s always crept back into going back to the breast after a day or two, it works, then she gets worried and the cycle starts again.

Other than that he’s doing great - was 5lb 1oz the other day so as much as he’s tiny, he’s putting it on!

Scary moment last night at the Mrs's nana's. I was talking to the husband in the kitchen next to the livingroom where the brats were sitting watching tv. They had been quiet for ages when suddenly the youngest started making a bizarre coughing sound and began crying. Went in to discover her faced all screwed up and realised she had ate something she shouldn't have. Started to pat her back before realising it was more serious than a jaggy crisp. She was really struggling. Looked in her mouth and couldn't see anything. Lifted her and tipped her to the side and started hammering her back and she soon stopped making noise and started to turn purple which was extremely terrifying. It was only for about 2/3 seconds (felt like hours) before she started to cough and cry and bit more normally. Still couldn't see anything though and she was coughing so much she was going to be sick. Held her over the sink and continued to hit her back until she threw up and in among the sickness was a 20p piece ffs.

Just a bizarre experience all round. She's never been one for putting coins in her mouth and is well past (we thought!) the stage of tasting everything with her mouth. I can only think she put it in her mouth and it's accidently slipped into her throat rather than her attempting to eat it. Was pretty calm throughout and even after the adrenaline settled I was pretty chilled about it, instinct just kind of took over. It could have been so much worse and if she hadn't made that weird sound/it had lodged straight away then I wouldn't have walked through.

Social services would have been all over us as well!

3 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Scary moment last night at the Mrs's nana's. I was talking to the husband in the kitchen next to the livingroom where the brats were sitting watching tv. They had been quiet for ages when suddenly the youngest started making a bizarre coughing sound and began crying. Went in to discover her faced all screwed up and realised she had ate something she shouldn't have. Started to pat her back before realising it was more serious than a jaggy crisp. She was really struggling. Looked in her mouth and couldn't see anything. Lifted her and tipped her to the side and started hammering her back and she soon stopped making noise and started to turn purple which was extremely terrifying. It was only for about 2/3 seconds (felt like hours) before she started to cough and cry and bit more normally. Still couldn't see anything though and she was coughing so much she was going to be sick. Held her over the sink and continued to hit her back until she threw up and in among the sickness was a 20p piece ffs.

Just a bizarre experience all round. She's never been one for putting coins in her mouth and is well past (we thought!) the stage of tasting everything with her mouth. I can only think she put it in her mouth and it's accidently slipped into her throat rather than her attempting to eat it. Was pretty calm throughout and even after the adrenaline settled I was pretty chilled about it, instinct just kind of took over. It could have been so much worse and if she hadn't made that weird sound/it had lodged straight away then I wouldn't have walked through.

Scary stuff.

Youngest grandchild has a syndrome where everything goes into the mouth and is thoroughly chewed causing horrendous problems, most youngsters would spit out a lot of what she tastes/swallows, but she has started to settle a bit, but still needs watched constantly.

11 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

How is she today, any change?

That's us just past 12 weeks and I think we've hit the big sleep regression everyone goes on about.

Been getting 6/7 hours sleep no bother for weeks, including naps during the day alone, then bang, won't even entertain his cot now and is virtually up constantly during the night. 

Looking forward to this next few weeks 😭

The Bairn was down at the weekend, was in great form. Went over to my wife and said "Granny I love you", sat and smiled and waved at me.  She was a great colour, the best I've seen her looking since her first spell in hospital.

She starts play school in September, 2 days a week, that'll be fun, her big sister starts Primary One, her bigger sister starts second year in secondary school, and her biggest sister starts university. All change!

My step daughter has been with her new boyfriend for a few months and gave us the "great news" that she is pregnant. 

Trying to hide my disappointment and failing. She has 2 already she is barely coping with. 26 this year and never worked or went to college. I had wanted so much more for her life and she keeps chucking it away on gormless guys. 

Our wee boy was screaming for hours and hours on Tuesday. His wee scrotum was swollen and he was spewing up regularly. Turned out he had a hernia, got into the Queen Elizabeth in Glasgow the same night, got an operation to fix it and he’s all good. The difference in him is amazing, he’s so much happier now. Because of where it was, his testified took a bit of a dunt and there’s a chance it might be redundant as time goes on. Shouldn’t be an issue though even if it comes to that, still able to have a normal puberty, father children and generally be a shagger like his old man!

Doing great other than that, Today was his due date, home now with me and his mammy.

12 hours ago, anotherchance said:

Our wee boy was screaming for hours and hours on Tuesday. His wee scrotum was swollen and he was spewing up regularly. Turned out he had a hernia, got into the Queen Elizabeth in Glasgow the same night, got an operation to fix it and he’s all good. The difference in him is amazing, he’s so much happier now. Because of where it was, his testified took a bit of a dunt and there’s a chance it might be redundant as time goes on. Shouldn’t be an issue though even if it comes to that, still able to have a normal puberty, father children and generally be a shagger like his old man!

Doing great other than that, Today was his due date, home now with me and his mammy.

Good news! :thumsup2

11 hours ago, Andy Dufresne said:

Kids are away the wee ones dad's tonight as nana has bad food poisoning and this is my view tonight

16572264063075149713310569298746.jpg

And not so good news. You and June get well soon. Food poisoning's a bugger.

• 2 weeks later...

Was away with work so missed the 20 week scan, had a private one done to find out the gender, absolutely magic. 

I've always been very non plussed about 3/4d scans but I quickly changed my mind seing the wee one like that for the first time, incredible. 

11 minutes ago, Grant228 said:

Was away with work so missed the 20 week scan, had a private one done to find out the gender, absolutely magic. 

I've always been very non plussed about 3/4d scans but I quickly changed my mind seing the wee one like that for the first time, incredible. 

My three were born before the aged of 3/4D scanners - so the best you got was a thermal paper print-off.  That was magic in itself so I am delighted for you and how things have progressed.

All the best to your Mrs and the wee one.