Pregnancy And Parenting

Greatgrandson was out for a visit. Dad was cutting the grass, along with his pal, so after the front lawn was cut he and his mum came in. He was in great form although he was getting a wee bit tired by the time he went home.

Jacksgranny was in her element.

On 02/05/2022 at 16:29, RH33 said:

My son decided to take his space hopper and bounce it down the stairs while I went for a pee. He was unharmed.

Next day I was dropping him off at nursery and laughed a bit as I recited story. This earned me a call from the health visitor as the staff decided I hadn't taken it as a serious event......

That's a bit Orwellian and I don't particularly like the sound of that at all. How was the health visitor towards you when they visited?

59 minutes ago, velo army said:

That's a bit Orwellian and I don't particularly like the sound of that at all. How was the health visitor towards you when they visited?

She didn't visit. She called and was satisfied I had acted appropriately!

5 minutes ago, RH33 said:

Undereducated and no kids of own at time.

Aye what I mean by overeducated is learning a lot from books and college but without any real world experience. 

Sorry to hear. I'm pretty annoyed this happened to you.

On 29/04/2022 at 11:32, Jimmy Shaker said:

We are not getting to Amsterdam. 

As a quote, this is right up there with Churchill's "We shall fight them on the beaches" and Roosevelt's "The only thing to fear is fear itself". Personally, I'm delighted for Mrs & Mr Shaker (have experience of same).

We also have friends who went through 4 cycles of IVF. Prior to cycle 4 they also said "This is the final throw of the dice."

They went on to have twins.  😃

7 minutes ago, velo army said:

Aye what I mean by overeducated is learning a lot from books and college but without any real world experience. 

Sorry to hear. I'm pretty annoyed this happened to you.

Ach it was years ago, I was upset at time but now I laugh. Some the older members of staff though it was ridiculous at the time too. 

Our wee bundle of joy is due in 8 weeks - getting a growth scan tomorrow as the bump is measuring bigger than expected, so looking forward to seeing what the story is.

Also started hypnobirthing sessions this week. Really positive and think it’ll help both me and the wife relax a bit.

Edited by anotherchance

4 minutes ago, anotherchance said:

Our wee bundle of joy is due in 8 weeks - getting a growth scan tomorrow as the bump is measuring bigger than expected, so looking forward to seeing what the story is.

Also started hypnobirthing sessions this week. Really positive and think it’ll help both me and the wife relax a bit.

My eldest was measuring big on scans, he was born at 37wks and small for age. My middle one was measuring small so had loads of scans. Born 40wks and spot on average at 7lb11.

By number three I'd decided pin tail on donkey was about as accurate!

34 minutes ago, RH33 said:

My eldest was measuring big on scans, he was born at 37wks and small for age. My middle one was measuring small so had loads of scans. Born 40wks and spot on average at 7lb11.

By number three I'd decided pin tail on donkey was about as accurate!

My uncle (born in 1940) made the newspapers when he was born. 15 lb 1 oz. 

Big week for the youngest (2). I'm off this fortnight and said I'd get her started with the potty training. Two accidents on Monday. From then on she hasn't peed herself. Including during naps and during the night. She has had two accidents with poo so that's needing worked on. She never did one at all yesterday so I don't know if she's holding it. It could be bad later today.

Took the sides off her cotbed last night so first night in a proper bed. Up and down for a wee bit but settled about half 9 (put in at 8.) Quite pleased with how she's doing overall tbh. Then getting that lump in the throat seeing her pull her pants down for a pee and realising she's not a baby anymore default_sad.png [emoji38]

We're now 4 weeks out from the due date and pregnancy has generally been fine, I'm actually a wee bit surprised things have gone so smoothly. Baby girl growing well and my mrs has been an absolute star. Both nervous about the birth now but I can't wait to meet her. 

One thing I will say is they don't half make the men feel like a fucking nuisance at scans and appointments these days. They don't let you into the waiting area, make you stand out in the corridor like a spare p***k, no seats provided, when they shout you in to the scan you get instructions barked at you and told to sit 3 miles away from the screen so you don't infect anyone, and thats twice now I've stood in the corridor for over an hour waiting to see the consultant only for her to say "everything looks good, probably could've just phoned you lol". Fucking seething doesn't cover it.

36 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

We're now 4 weeks out from the due date and pregnancy has generally been fine, I'm actually a wee bit surprised things have gone so smoothly. Baby girl growing well and my mrs has been an absolute star. Both nervous about the birth now but I can't wait to meet her. 

One thing I will say is they don't half make the men feel like a fucking nuisance at scans and appointments these days. They don't let you into the waiting area, make you stand out in the corridor like a spare p***k, no seats provided, when they shout you in to the scan you get instructions barked at you and told to sit 3 miles away from the screen so you don't infect anyone, and thats twice now I've stood in the corridor for over an hour waiting to see the consultant only for her to say "everything looks good, probably could've just phoned you lol". Fucking seething doesn't cover it.

Glad all is going well, the pregnancy part is wild when it gets to the later stages and you see he/she moving around. 

Out of interest where was the scan? My daughter was born in that period where lockdown was relaxed before going into lockdown again. So I actually got to go in at the same time and the ultra sound tech was actually really nice, we just sat in awe watching the wee screen, I expected we'd both be emotional but we were just amazed. The second time was shite. I couldn't even go into the hospital with the missus so missed it basically, was really gutted as the first time was so good. This was at the QEUH.

A bit surprised to hear the way they are handling it now, feels unnecessary. 

46 minutes ago, thistledo said:

Glad all is going well, the pregnancy part is wild when it gets to the later stages and you see he/she moving around. 

Out of interest where was the scan? My daughter was born in that period where lockdown was relaxed before going into lockdown again. So I actually got to go in at the same time and the ultra sound tech was actually really nice, we just sat in awe watching the wee screen, I expected we'd both be emotional but we were just amazed. The second time was shite. I couldn't even go into the hospital with the missus so missed it basically, was really gutted as the first time was so good. This was at the QEUH.

A bit surprised to hear the way they are handling it now, feels unnecessary. 

Vale of Leven hospital. I'm a bit surprised at how strict they are with it, there was a younger girl in with her mum who was on crutches and took an age to move 4 yards and they made her stand in the corridor waiting too. Was certain she was going to keel over. Don't get me wrong it was amazing seeing our wee girls face and hands and feet on the screen each time but none of it was very welcoming. We've had the same lady for all but one of our scans and she comes across as a bit of a grumpy c**t too, we've never actually had the spine measured because she got fed up trying to get the right angle to measure it and ended up just telling us it was fine. She's always short with her words and don't bother with an attempt at any humour. Bit of a pain but we've tried not to let it bother us. 

6 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Vale of Leven hospital. I'm a bit surprised at how strict they are with it, there was a younger girl in with her mum who was on crutches and took an age to move 4 yards and they made her stand in the corridor waiting too. Was certain she was going to keel over. Don't get me wrong it was amazing seeing our wee girls face and hands and feet on the screen each time but none of it was very welcoming. We've had the same lady for all but one of our scans and she comes across as a bit of a grumpy c**t too, we've never actually had the spine measured because she got fed up trying to get the right angle to measure it and ended up just telling us it was fine. She's always short with her words and don't bother with an attempt at any humour. Bit of a pain but we've tried not to let it bother us. 

Sorry to hear of this. You get arseholes in every walk of life but when it’s in a situation like this which should be very special it’s all the more frustrating. We’ve dealt with numerous midwives and scanners and only encountered one absolute fucker. At one stage I was minutes away from making a complaint but didn't want to make it worse (shat it). 

1 minute ago, Rugster said:

Sorry to hear of this. You get arseholes in every walk of life but when it’s in a situation like this which should be very special it’s all the more frustrating. We’ve dealt with numerous midwives and scanners and only encountered one absolute fucker. At one stage I was minutes away from making a complaint but didn't want to make it worse (shat it). 

Ach she's not that bad that we'd complain, she's clearly worked there a long time and I imagine the "special" nature of her work has worn off for her - I don't have any concerns about any of the stuff she's told us, I was just expecting a bit more of a friendly encounter than a workmanlike one. We're birthing at Paisley anyway, so today was the last time we need to deal with her. Everyone else we've dealt with has been brand new.

You're on the right track there mate. The midwife that delivered our first was an arsehole. The wife was desperate to complain about it and wouldn't let it go for ages but I kept telling her, we're here for one reason only. To get this Bairn out in one piece and GTF.

I have always thought the "magic" of pregnancy and childbirth is wildly overstated in popular culture. The whole lot of it was difficult and at many points unpleasant for us.