Pregnancy And Parenting

17 hours ago, anotherchance said:

Great thread, lads.

My wife is 19 weeks, 20 week scan next Monday.

Everything fine so far, although a bit of an issue last night. For a few weeks/months she’s been asking me intermittently about breast/bottle feeding and I’ve given it my usual “whatever you feel best I’ll support you” etc and I know she’d moved towards bottle feeding, although admittedly I hadn’t read up and just thought it was six and half a dozen.

Last night ended up down a bit of a Google rabbit hole and read up on some of the advantages of breast feeding - reduces cot death risk, reduces maternal breast cancer risk, and I admit I freaked out a bit and asked what her thought process was around bottle feeding, and it ended up in a bit of a row.

Guess I’m just looking for a bit of reassurance that bottle feeding will be fine.  Her body, her choice, but I’m still a bit worried as I’m a complete novice with almost all of it.

The missus tried breastfeeding, absolutely knackering during the night as our wee one was a big feeder/big baby. To keep up with demand the missus started expressing bottles and storing them but she still couldn't keep. We tried combo feeding with bottle and breast milk, but that turned out upsetting the wee one's stomach so we just went full bottle, got one of those machines that makes it in minutes, so easy at 3am when all you want to do is sleep. 

You'll get some breast feeding fanatics out there, some of the nurses in hospital can be a little pushy about it. Important thing is, do what works best for you all, try things and if it doesn't work it's not the end of the world. 

One thing the missus did while pregnant was take these god awful tasting ante natal support vitamins, they smelled and tasted vile as I tried one, one day after I said to her "they can't be that bad" I was wrong. Going by the wee ones development and growth I'd say it's either a massive coincidence or they were well worth it! On that basis would recommend it. 

30 minutes ago, Jimmy Shaker said:

Last go at IVF undertaken. Wife now cooking something up while doing f**k all for a fortnight. 

If it works, great. 

If it doesn't, we'll away to Amsterdam for a few days and get loaded and think up something else. 

I'm keeping everything crossed for you, my wife and I are about to start this process and it all seems a bit overwhelming.

17 hours ago, anotherchance said:

Great thread, lads.

My wife is 19 weeks, 20 week scan next Monday.

Everything fine so far, although a bit of an issue last night. For a few weeks/months she’s been asking me intermittently about breast/bottle feeding and I’ve given it my usual “whatever you feel best I’ll support you” etc and I know she’d moved towards bottle feeding, although admittedly I hadn’t read up and just thought it was six and half a dozen.

Last night ended up down a bit of a Google rabbit hole and read up on some of the advantages of breast feeding - reduces cot death risk, reduces maternal breast cancer risk, and I admit I freaked out a bit and asked what her thought process was around bottle feeding, and it ended up in a bit of a row.

Guess I’m just looking for a bit of reassurance that bottle feeding will be fine.  Her body, her choice, but I’m still a bit worried as I’m a complete novice with almost all of it.

Bottle feeding will be absolutely fine. Mine was bottle fed from the second he was born. As somebody once said to myself and my missus, when they're running around playing you'll never know who was breastfed and who was bottlefed. 

8 minutes ago, beesher said:

I'm keeping everything crossed for you, my wife and I are about to start this process and it all seems a bit overwhelming.

Many thanks. I would like to offer up some real advice, but after six years of doing it (on and off), all I can say is stay patient and know your limits. 

2 hours ago, Jimmy Shaker said:

Last go at IVF undertaken. Wife now cooking something up while doing f**k all for a fortnight. 

If it works, great. 

If it doesn't, we'll away to Amsterdam for a few days and get loaded and think up something else. 

All the best to you and your wife, Jimmy.

We've got our first on the way in July, all scans (got a couple of private ones) went well so far but it's starting to seem a bit real now. Think i'll go back to page one of this thread and make my through the whole thing over the next five months. Who needs parenting books when you have PNB? 

23 hours ago, Jimmy Shaker said:

If it works, great. 

A close family member of mine went through IVF with his wife for 2 or 3 years and it didn't work for them. in the end they decided to give up. Too much stress, too much money. 

Not long afterwards his wife fell pregnant and they had a healthy baby girl, followed by another 2 years later. He thinks that when they decided to stop trying, they became less stressed and it just happened for them. 

What I'm trying to say is - relax, and good luck. 

My 6 month old just did his first dump on the potty.  We've had him sitting on it the last few days just to get him used to it but about 20 minutes ago he was farting loads so we thought we'd try our luck. He sat there happy with himself while he slowly stank the living room up.

Never been so disgusted and proud at the same time before.  Long way to go but at least he's happy using it!

EDIT - he did it again later on.  So proud.

Edited by The Minertaur

My wife is due our first today. She had a sweep and there is some cramping but no signs of labour yet. It’s a real mixture of nerves/excitement/worrying about mum and boy being healthy. Overall I can’t wait though - this is the hardest part now - the waiting. 

1 minute ago, Shtuggie said:

My wife is due our first today. She had a sweep and there is some cramping but no signs of labour yet. It’s a real mixture of nerves/excitement/worrying about mum and boy being healthy. Overall I can’t wait though - this is the hardest part now - the waiting. 

My two were 6 and 11 days late. You could be a while. 

14 hours ago, scottsdad said:

My two were 6 and 11 days late. You could be a while. 

You may not be wrong. No movement yet, just trying to make sure she isn't too uncomfortable. The dog definitely knows something is up - hes taken to leaning his chin on her stomach area on the couch. 

14 minutes ago, Shtuggie said:

You may not be wrong. No movement yet, just trying to make sure she isn't too uncomfortable. The dog definitely knows something is up - hes taken to leaning his chin on her stomach area on the couch. 

With Scott, we got to 11 days late and the wife was due to go in to be induced at 9 am. We went to bed the night before and her waters broke at 1 am. 

The magic of Welsh hospitals - they sent us home saying "You've got hours yet! Go home and back to bed!" Made it half way home and we had to turn back to the hospital. He was born at 4.45 am, and we left the hospital with him at 11 am. Very different experience to Scottish hospitals where they keep you in for longer. 

14 hours ago, Shtuggie said:

How much? Fiver a skull?