Pregnancy And Parenting

9 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

Sounds horrendous, hope all is well now

Thanks. He's good now, just a high temp and probably a viral infection. He brightened up when we got to hospital. They kept him in for 6 hours just to monitor him and then let us go home. Said its common in young children and now he has has one it could happen again so at least I know the signs now! 

Just now, Honest Saints Fan said:

Thanks. He's good now, just a high temp and probably a viral infection. He brightened up when we got to hospital. They kept him in for 6 hours just to monitor him and then let us go home. Said its common in young children and now he has has one it could happen again so at least I know the signs now! 

Niamh did this to me, one of them in nursery. She would have no temp then bam fit.

Kids, who'd have them!

2 hours ago, Honest Saints Fan said:

We've been at Center Parcs over Christmas. All going great until wee one had a febrile seizure yesterday afternoon. Basically started fitting and seemed to stop breathing for about a minute. Honestly thought he was a goner. Fucking scary. Another chapter to add to what our life has become since 2018 😭🙈

29 minutes ago, Rugster said:

I honestly thought he was dead. Never been so scared in my life.  Brilliant from the NHS again. So grateful. 

The both of you have my sympathy, it’s horrible to watch. My granddaughter started taking seizures just over two years ago, something we were told would eventually happen, but always hoped they never would. Fingers crossed for you it was a one off 

1 hour ago, Dons_1988 said:

I’m conscious I’ve not posted in this thread in a while and, whilst I’m sure this hasn’t particularly bothered anyone, I felt slightly guilty as so many gave out some really valuable advice. 

Things are much, much better at home now. About a month ago my mrs reached a sort of ‘rock bottom’ where every feed resulted in sobbing tears and I was really close to phoning an emergency GP to assess my wife as she was right on the edge. 

Amazingly, she has pulled herself back from the brink. She has accepted that maybe the wee one doesn’t like her milk and we just need to adapt and feed her in different ways with solids etc, and that as long as she’s gaining weight, peeing/pooing and generally healthy then she can relax. I wasn’t sure if I could trust that she’d really turned a corner but she absolutely has. She is now a calm, confident mum and most importantly she now seems to be really enjoying her time with our daughter. 

Thank you again to everyone who helped when I made my rather desperate posts, it was a really difficult time so every bit of advice was appreciated. Hopefully now my contributions to this thread will just be about what a laugh it is raising a kid because I genuinely love it. 

Actually I wondered how things were going, assumed they weren't too bad as you were posting elsewhere.

Glad to hear things are a lot better.

Youngest stepdaughter's ex-partner can't be bothered seeing his youngsters, despite the fact he's still on holidays, he hasn't time to see them now Christmas is over, quite happy playing happy families on Christmas and Boxing Day, he'd rather go out boozing and on the pull with his pals, that's how the relationship broke up in the first place.

Edited by Jacksgranda
Sleppnig

5 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

Actually I wondered how things were going, assumed they weren't too bad as you were posting elsewhere.

Glad to hear things are a lot better.

To be fair I posted elsewhere throughout, the football and posting nonsense here was always a wee release from a difficult time. 

Thanks for thinking of us though. I am really grateful, I couldn’t really talk to anyone in the worst of it so posting here was a help. 

2 hours ago, Dons_1988 said:

I’m conscious I’ve not posted in this thread in a while and, whilst I’m sure this hasn’t particularly bothered anyone, I felt slightly guilty as so many gave out some really valuable advice. 

Things are much, much better at home now. About a month ago my mrs reached a sort of ‘rock bottom’ where every feed resulted in sobbing tears and I was really close to phoning an emergency GP to assess my wife as she was right on the edge. 

Amazingly, she has pulled herself back from the brink. She has accepted that maybe the wee one doesn’t like her milk and we just need to adapt and feed her in different ways with solids etc, and that as long as she’s gaining weight, peeing/pooing and generally healthy then she can relax. I wasn’t sure if I could trust that she’d really turned a corner but she absolutely has. She is now a calm, confident mum and most importantly she now seems to be really enjoying her time with our daughter. 

Thank you again to everyone who helped when I made my rather desperate posts, it was a really difficult time so every bit of advice was appreciated. Hopefully now my contributions to this thread will just be about what a laugh it is raising a kid because I genuinely love it. 

That's such good news, hopefully soon it'll be a distinct memory and the wee one will be kicking back 8oz sirloin!

Had to explain the impending possibility of the death of a family dog to the kids today. They were just as kids normally are, floods of tears, then laughing about something unrelated, then some rationalising, then more tears....

Among the tears and snotters though, the oldest one asked me if dogs can still dream in dog heaven. I said I didnt know, and she burst into tears again and said "wont she be able to dream about walking done the backroads with me?"

Cheers, yer da's greetin now.

9 hours ago, RH33 said:

That's such good news, hopefully soon it'll be a distinct memory and the wee one will be kicking back 8oz sirloin!

I don’t doubt it, she loves her solids and she’s made huge progress with it too. 

She’s just decided that at 7 months old milk is beneath her. 

Is this normal or are my two just snooty/weird?:-

My eldest was the exact same and my youngest does it as well. Since birth they would never shit into a wet nappy. I can count on one hand the number of times we'd go in in the morning to a dirty (no 2) nappy. But it was/is almost a guarantee that after you change/d them they would take a dump within the next half hour. Same goes for nighttime. Get the wee one changed, put her to bed and more often than not she'll shit.

I actually don't mind it for the reason it's probably an easier nappy to clean/it's rare we have an overflow nappy. But what is infuriating is changing a wet nappy and changing another one again about 10 minutes later that's bone dry but for the dump.

Can't wait to be out of the nappy stage once and for all. Cruise around the Caribbean will be booked considering how much I'll save on nappies!

Great grandson visited yesterday, walking about the living room quite the thing, although he was more interested in his cousin's* crisps.

* = second cousin (or whatever relation his great aunt's children are to him

Edited by Jacksgranda
Update

11 hours ago, Jacksgranda said:

Great grandson visited yesterday, walking about the living room quite the thing, although he was more interested in his cousin's* crisps.

* = second cousin (or whatever relation his great aunt's children are to him

Cousin once removed. A second cousin is the child of your cousin once removed. 

9 hours ago, die hard doonhamer said:

Cousin once removed. A second cousin is the child of your cousin once removed. 

I have never got my head round this nomenclature

What relationship are your cousins children to you? (Or mine, even.)

Edited by Jacksgranda