Pregnancy And Parenting

On 22/10/2021 at 08:44, Dons_1988 said:

Don’t think that’s abnormal. 

As mentioned before I’m absolutely loving being a dad but only 5 months in I’d absolutely love a weekend free to have an away day and a few beers or whatever. 

It’s all consuming and everyone needs a break. 

Me and the wife ( sons are 12 and 10) have never had a night away. However over the years had the odd afternoon to ourselves ( we work so that nobody needs to help with childcare). Find that with having the two kids not too many opportunities to have alone time. So usually we just take having turns about to having nights out or whatever. Older they get it certainly gets easier. ( oldest diagnosed with Autism/ adhd) but you adapt to that.

Regarding foods. To this day we still at times struggle with foods. Always through life got told about what we can/ can't do and majority of that advice we put into the sea. You will know your kid and if you feel solids may be the way forward I'd say definitely go for it.

It's great being a Dad. 

For what it's worth I got shot down from someone on here years ago because my son couldn't tie his shoe laces. Wasnt actually until I told him of my sons diagnoses I ended up getting a pm off the person. This thread is great and certainly a place to vent. I have done over the years.

Edited by Robin.Hood

32 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Aye, I’m all good. Just focused on being a support. Ready for the potential long haul on this one. 

In years to come you'll look back on this and laugh.

Well, have a wry smile, at least...

1 hour ago, Bairnardo said:

We went at that early with BB2 tbh. She seemed ready for it. It really cant hurt and could give your wife something to focus on. Have a wee read about Baby Led Weaning. We did that with second one and it was a colossal improvement on normal weaning 

I did baby lead with all three of mine and I think Honest Saint did too. 

@Dons_1988 my wee one had feeding issues from start. She had sever reflux and then lots entire top layer of skin to excema. Entire bottles would come straight back up. She screamed for hours. 

She was allergic to milk (and other food as we learned through weaning). But still out on weight. So please don't think I'm dismissing how hard it is as I had to fight and doorstep GP until they referred me on.

She's now a smart, articulate and petite ten year old who doesn't cause me any problems at all.

Edited by RH33

5 minutes ago, RH33 said:

I did baby lead with all three of mine and I think Honest Saint did too. 

@Dons_1988 my wee one had feeding issues from start. She had sever reflux and then lots entire top layer of skin to excema. Entire bottles would come straight back up. She screamed for hours. 

She was allergic to milk (and other food as we learned through weaning). But still out on weight. So please don't think I'm dismissing how hard it is as I had to fight and doorstep GP until they referred me on.

She's now a smart, articulate and petite ten year old who doesn't cause me any problems at all.

Thanks, that sounds like a horrendous time for you. 

I like to think I’ve retained enough perspective to know that the feeding issue we’re experiencing is very likely to be nothing serious and in the grand scheme of potential issues to be had with kids is very small indeed. Doesn’t make it enjoyable but I know that we’re pretty lucky in our circumstances. 

My biggest concern is my wife to be honest she is really suffering with it (and she wasn’t much better before the feeding issues) so it’s difficult to watch. 

Watching someone you love suffer with mental health issues is sole destroying. You literally can't do anythjng to help her until she sees it herself.  

Just being there and providing support and keeping you're own perspective and MH on balance so you're healthy. 

Yes, I am a massive baby led weaning advocate. Honestly the best way to wean, great for development, great fun, can cook the same meals for everyone. 

How did your wife get on with the group class? I think hearing from other mums is one of the best things. Obviously some are yer elevenerife types but mostly they give great support and make you realise what you are experiencing is completely normal. 

About 20 years ago there was a craze to try to standardise baby feeding. You should only feed them every 4 hours, a set amount of milk. You should wean them at 6 months and not before. My brother was told to only feed his youngest cold milk. It was all bollocks. 

Simple method - if the baby is hungry, give it a bottle. Still hungry? Give it more. Bottles just not cutting the mustard? Time to move on to soup/baby food/black pudding suppers. 

26 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

About 20 years ago there was a craze to try to standardise baby feeding. You should only feed them every 4 hours, a set amount of milk. You should wean them at 6 months and not before. My brother was told to only feed his youngest cold milk. It was all bollocks. 

Simple method - if the baby is hungry, give it a bottle. Still hungry? Give it more. Bottles just not cutting the mustard? Time to move on to soup/baby food/black pudding suppers. 

Gina Ford!

4 hours ago, Dons_1988 said:

Solids may be an option if this continues much longer, yeah. 

I would also agree about trying solids once they're at that age. We had a few issues with her not gaining weight while she was only on milk (though probably not as much as what you've described), and eventually bit the bullet and started with food a wee bit before six months. It made a massive difference almost straight away, both in terms of her growth and her mood.

We’ve had nearly a full week now of feeding going well. I think last Wednesday was the last time she took around 600ml all day and the wife was in floods of tears. 

a much happier home for now, the mrs has the gp on Monday and I’m hoping she’s still going to go and not back out because feeding is better. 

19 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

We’ve had nearly a full week now of feeding going well. I think last Wednesday was the last time she took around 600ml all day and the wife was in floods of tears. 

a much happier home for now, the mrs has the gp on Monday and I’m hoping she’s still going to go and not back out because feeding is better. 

I hope she goes, to, it certainly won't do her any harm.

Edited by Jacksgranda
Sleppnig

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/11/2021 at 20:48, Andy Dufresne said:

My son's gran passed away last week and he is heartbroken,he was really close to her.

Sorry to hear that. My mum and dad worked loads when I was growing up so I spent almost every day with my grandparents. I tell people they raised me more than my parents. Even though I was in my late 20s and 30s when they passed I was absolutely crushed. My Grandad is my hero and I named my son after him.