Pregnancy And Parenting

6 hours ago, Jacksgranda said:

5 year old granddaughter has just informed us that Rusty - our dog - was "trying to hug my leg".

She's down getting a shower. Judging by the noise she's making you'd think she was being murdered.

7 year old grandaughter has been accused of racism, and is getting a file opened on her. She called a classmate a "potato head", which is apparently a great insult in Scotland (things have changed since I was a bairn), and ran off saying she didn't "want to play with the d*****", which the wee boy says didn't happen, as does our grandaughter. She's mixed race herself.

Fact warning: My wife told me this after getting a call from my youngest stepdaughter who had been speaking to her big sister, so there have been 3 levels of spin put on this.

A classroom assistant heard all this (apparently) and a case file has been/will be opened. Is this not a bit OTT when dealing with a first offence for 7 year olds?

It wouldn't surprise me if there was previous between my stepdaughter and this classroom assistant, as she manages to rub everyone up the wrong way, and the ca is maybe getting her own back.

2 hours ago, Jacksgranda said:

7 year old grandaughter has been accused of racism, and is getting a file opened on her. She called a classmate a "potato head", which is apparently a great insult in Scotland (things have changed since I was a bairn), and ran off saying she didn't "want to play with the d*****", which the wee boy says didn't happen, as does our grandaughter. She's mixed race herself.

Fact warning: My wife told me this after getting a call from my youngest stepdaughter who had been speaking to her big sister, so there have been 3 levels of spin put on this.

A classroom assistant heard all this (apparently) and a case file has been/will be opened. Is this not a bit OTT when dealing with a first offence for 7 year olds?

It wouldn't surprise me if there was previous between my stepdaughter and this classroom assistant, as she manages to rub everyone up the wrong way, and the ca is maybe getting her own back.

For fear of being called a racist myself, this seems to be ridiculous. 

I kept this news pretty quiet...

I am going to be a Granda (feels weird writing it down) pretty soon, the daughter-in-law's waters broke last night.

Sad thing is, the oldest still has 6 days isolation left after testing positive. He won't be allowed in to be at the birth of his first. My wife is going instead.

Boredom during lockdown creates Grandparents.

2 minutes ago, johnnydun said:

Spoke too soon.

She has tested positive for Covid this morning and will have to give birth alone. 

We won't be able to see the bairn for 10 days either.

That's a bit of a blow, but as long as it's allright.

And congratulations!

Picked up from my wife's phone conversation we now have a second greatgrandchild - another wee boy - born to granddaughter nr 3. My wife insists she had already told me, but my recollection of it is that she told me she was pregnant, but I don't recall being told that the child had been born.

However, it makes little odds, as we'll hardly be seeing the child, unless we meet them when we're out, as that part of the family - more specifically the child's granny (ably abetted by her husband, stepson nr 2) - fell out with us about 17 years ago and have studiously avoided us since, even returning birthday cards that my wife sent to the two grandchildren of that branch.

It still hurts my wife, although not so much now, as she doted on the grandson- he was the first grandson - and always hoped that when the two of them grew up they would reintiate contact, but it hasn't happened.

22 hours ago, Jacksgranda said:

Picked up from my wife's phone conversation we now have a second greatgrandchild - another wee boy - born to granddaughter nr 3. My wife insists she had already told me, but my recollection of it is that she told me she was pregnant, but I don't recall being told that the child had been born.

However, it makes little odds, as we'll hardly be seeing the child, unless we meet them when we're out, as that part of the family - more specifically the child's granny (ably abetted by her husband, stepson nr 2) - fell out with us about 17 years ago and have studiously avoided us since, even returning birthday cards that my wife sent to the two grandchildren of that branch.

It still hurts my wife, although not so much now, as she doted on the grandson- he was the first grandson - and always hoped that when the two of them grew up they would reintiate contact, but it hasn't happened.

I am very sorry to hear this. 

Ancient history here, but my grandfather and his family fell out many decades ago. He has been dead for 40 years but my mum grew up knowing there were cousins and an uncle out there somewhere that she never knew. About 5 years ago she got a letter from one such cousin who was working on a family tree. My mum reconnected with this cousin, and then with her uncle. 

She asked her uncle what the falling out was about, as she never knew. The uncle just said, sadly, that it was really unimportant and that he regretted missing out on his family for all that time. The uncle died a few years ago, shortly after meeting my mum. Mum and her cousin are still in touch. 

Mum and her cousin are almost 70 and are in touch now, so there is always some hope I guess.