Pregnancy And Parenting

Our 13 year old grandson who is on the autistic scale is very literal with his outlook on life. He has been visiting these last couple of days - staying with his uncle - and has been playing games on the Xbox with his younger cousin(s). He landed in last night at 7.55 to announce "I have one hour and 5 minutes" as he had to be home for 9.

And our granddaughter who got turned down by Queens has been offered a provisional placement from Magee.

Trebles all round!

Edited by Jacksgranda

• 2 weeks later...

Almost created some beef in the nursery WhatsApp group the other day. One parent complained about their kid getting paint in his top, another chimes in saying that she would send her kid back in in paint covered clothes to make a point and had written to the nursery about claiming the cost of clothes damaged at nursery back.

These are three and four year olds. Their clothes are going to get covered in paint and mud and grass and their food and quite possibly their own faeces. Unbelievable. I was considering replying saying this but don’t want to beef with the kids my son smears paint on all day.

1 minute ago, ICTChris said:

Almost created some beef in the nursery WhatsApp group the other day. One parent complained about their kid getting paint in his top, another chimes in saying that she would send her kid back in in paint covered clothes to make a point and had written to the nursery about claiming the cost of clothes damaged at nursery back.

These are three and four year olds. Their clothes are going to get covered in paint and mud and grass and their food and quite possibly their own faeces. Unbelievable. I was considering replying saying this but don’t want to beef with the kids my son smears paint on all day.

I created merry hell on the parent council when a parent posted outraged that in class it's water only no diluting juice. How dare the head dictate what her child could drink (lunch times can have diluting juice etc) and her child couldn't go 6 hours without diluting juice.

My response of it's only three hours until lunch and we all survived without water bottles on our desks didn't go down well.

I genuinely have no idea how people.keep their kids immaculate all day, must be a shite childhood. Primark perfect for cheap clothes for Nursery. Not a fucking.fashion show.

On 12/05/2021 at 16:59, ICTChris said:

Saw this story on the BBC today

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-57084243

Essentially, adopted children from difficult backgrounds were contacted by their birth families through social media and have now abandoned their adopted family for their birth parents.

I remember reading a Twitter thread about adoption ages ago.  There's a vision of adoption in popular culture that doesn't match up with reality - the idea of baby adoption or people finding out they are adopted when they are adults.  The majority of adopted children are from horrific backgrounds and are often suffering from physical trauma.  There's a growing movement of adopted parents who adopt children without being told their needs and end up with children they can't cope with.  I don't know what the solution is as you assume that the birth families will be in the same situation.  Around 5-10% of adoptions are thought to fail but there are no statistics collected on this.

I guess it's the age old nature v nurture argument.  Having children does show you how they are semi-clones but are also entirely their own people.

Bit late here but this is a bit of a concern for us. He’s only just turned 5 so not an immediate worry though.  He does have 6 half brothers somewhere in the area so it’s going to be tough (I think all have been in care at some point).  I’m still trying to work out at what age to tell him about adoption as I don’t think not telling him is an option.  I think the wife and I have found it tough at times but it was the best decision we ever made and all you can do is your best.  He’s always been a little behind but still gets there. I’ve always wondered if subconsciously getting taken into care from his birth mum at birth then taken from his foster mum at 9 months (when he came to us) has knocked him back a little.  Will worry about the serious stuff

70D7F595-20B9-4CB2-BC9A-B53F2D0B0011.png

Edited by Alert Mongoose

It's unreal.

My missus works in a nursery and the immaturity of some of the parents has me raging on a regular basis.

Kids at that age should be engaged in messy play. That's the whole point.

10 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

It's unreal.

My missus works in a nursery and the immaturity of some of the parents has me raging on a regular basis.

Kids at that age should be engaged in messy play. That's the whole point.

My youngest daughter comes out like shes been in the fucking trenches every day. An absolute filth magnet. Looks like she has a great time tbf. The wife occasionally makes comment on it, the MiL goes bananas about it. Both of them seem to ignore the fact that the nursery are always very clear that they encourage messy play. 

My youngest daughter comes out like shes been in the fucking trenches every day. An absolute filth magnet. Looks like she has a great time tbf. The wife occasionally makes comment on it, the MiL goes bananas about it. Both of them seem to ignore the fact that the nursery are always very clear that they encourage messy play. 
Why do they care about what the kid looks like? I want my kids to not give a shit about their clothes for as long as possible.

And messy play is always the best fucking play.

This was the youngest yesterday after being collected from nursery. Often he is so boggin' he is on a change of clothes. I put him in the cheapest clothes for nursery so that he can do what he wants. They wash after all and if the stains don't come I don't really care.

Screenshot_20210621-222445_Gallery.jpg

On 12/05/2021 at 16:59, ICTChris said:

Saw this story on the BBC today

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-57084243

Essentially, adopted children from difficult backgrounds were contacted by their birth families through social media and have now abandoned their adopted family for their birth parents.

I remember reading a Twitter thread about adoption ages ago.  There's a vision of adoption in popular culture that doesn't match up with reality - the idea of baby adoption or people finding out they are adopted when they are adults.  The majority of adopted children are from horrific backgrounds and are often suffering from physical trauma.  There's a growing movement of adopted parents who adopt children without being told their needs and end up with children they can't cope with.  I don't know what the solution is as you assume that the birth families will be in the same situation.  Around 5-10% of adoptions are thought to fail but there are no statistics collected on this.

I guess it's the age old nature v nurture argument.  Having children does show you how they are semi-clones but are also entirely their own people.

The young lad we fostered for 16 years came from a failed adoption.

He came to us for a fortnight while his parents "moved house" - social workers really can be quite devious when it suits them.

They also hadn't told his adoptive parents the problems they might have as he had fetal alcohol system.*

He ended up calling us "mummy and daddy" as opposed to his adoptive parents, who, if I recall correctly, only saw him once after he came to us.

9 hours ago, Alert Mongoose said:

Bit late here but this is a bit of a concern for us. He’s only just turned 5 so not an immediate worry though.  He does have 6 half brothers somewhere in the area so it’s going to be tough (I think all have been in care at some point).  I’m still trying to work out at what age to tell him about adoption as I don’t think not telling him is an option.  I think the wife and I have found it tough at times but it was the best decision we ever made and all you can do is your best.  He’s always been a little behind but still gets there. I’ve always wondered if subconsciously getting taken into care from his birth mum at birth then taken from his foster mum at 9 months (when he came to us) has knocked him back a little.  Will worry about the serious stuff

Shouldn't really affect him too much at that age, but I'm no expert.

Our wee man had been through 20+ foster carers before he was adopted.

One we fostered who went on to be adopted (by another couple) came to us at 3 months and left at two years, he saw his birth mother fairly regularly for the first wee while, he came through it allright, although we haven't seen him for a while.

* syndrome

Edited by Jacksgranda
Typo

10 hours ago, Alert Mongoose said:

Who doesn't love a day out at the grave yard?