Pregnancy And Parenting

34 minutes ago, Ross. said:

My older brother is 15 years older than my youngest brother. Only now when I look at it that I realise how much work it must have been for my mum!

My oldest stepson is 18 years older than my youngest stepdaughter. Jack is closer in age to her than his two youngest sisters.

Youngest grandson's just told me off for looking at him (it's part of his autism). I said "I bet you don't say that to your girlfriend" (he shares a taxi to Belfast with a young lassie). "I NO HAVE GIRLFRIEND." That's me telt - again!

Youngest one has decided to start walking now. She's been able to do it for a while but seemed to have the attitude of 'can't be fucked'. Having already had a child we know what walking now means so we weren't actively encouraging it either tbh [emoji38] Now for the fun to start!

• 2 weeks later...

Having moved into the new house last week all we have done is pay out money,if you have the seen the money pit them you will know how we feel.Ben has been brilliant at night though and we feel that is down to us now having a bedroom upstairs beside him.

Plasterer starts tomorrow doing the hall and stairs as the last person has artex on the walls

I've been put off having kids for life having recently come of age where most people i know have one and have become complete saps.

"ohhhh don't do that, can't do that, shhhh don't talk too loud, omg my poor little boy"

I had to watch the Scotland vs Serbia shootout at one of my mates with the TV muted in case it woke the kid up sleeping upstairs despite him being on the other side of a massive house.

Also had a Xmas and new year do with either no music or on at the lowest setting. Baby's sleep though most things but folk become so precious about such small things that in no way will effect the baby.

Edited by red23

Saw this story on the BBC today

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-57084243

Essentially, adopted children from difficult backgrounds were contacted by their birth families through social media and have now abandoned their adopted family for their birth parents.

I remember reading a Twitter thread about adoption ages ago.  There's a vision of adoption in popular culture that doesn't match up with reality - the idea of baby adoption or people finding out they are adopted when they are adults.  The majority of adopted children are from horrific backgrounds and are often suffering from physical trauma.  There's a growing movement of adopted parents who adopt children without being told their needs and end up with children they can't cope with.  I don't know what the solution is as you assume that the birth families will be in the same situation.  Around 5-10% of adoptions are thought to fail but there are no statistics collected on this.

I guess it's the age old nature v nurture argument.  Having children does show you how they are semi-clones but are also entirely their own people.

Oldest one been learning about what to do in an emergency, and has provided me with a handwritten guide and picture. The spelling is ropey, and the picture is pretty standard, nothing spectacular... But I am gone every time I look at the bad guys brows.

20210520_102335.jpeg

Years ago on another forum I called myself scottsdad. The name is pretty explanatory (ie I have no imagination). I came here and kept the name. And Scott, who was a baby when the name was made, turns 16 in a few days time. He's 6 foot 2 (won't be long till he's the same height as me), is doing his Nat 5's, and starts his Highers soon. In a year he'll be able to drive. Two and he will be looking at going to uni. 

Where does it all go?

49 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

Years ago on another forum I called myself scottsdad. The name is pretty explanatory (ie I have no imagination). I came here and kept the name. And Scott, who was a baby when the name was made, turns 16 in a few days time. He's 6 foot 2 (won't be long till he's the same height as me), is doing his Nat 5's, and starts his Highers soon. In a year he'll be able to drive. Two and he will be looking at going to uni. 

Where does it all go?

I'm a wee bit ahead of you.  My three are 19, 20 and 22 and all at Uni and my eldest will start a graduate trainee role in August.  I think it's brilliant to see them at their ages and appreciate them even more now than I did when I had to wipe their shitty arses.

It's what we do.  Rear well-rounded weans to make their way in the world and I love it.

My eldest was born just before this thread started, he finishes primary school in a few weeks. I deferred him even though he is a September and it's been the best move I made, closely followed by shifting schools. I've no concerns about him transitioning to high school and has a good base of close friends but sociable with a wider group too.

Then it's P6 and 5 for my girls!

Whenever I got married the two youngest stepdaughters were still at home, aged 10 & 16, I called them the "two wee ones". Now the two wee ones have 8 wee ones of their own between them, the eldest of whom is 21 and the youngest 1.