Pregnancy And Parenting

21 minutes ago, keithgy said:

Yeah Maisie goes to her dad's every weekend,neither of them ask about her.

14 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

I'd let sleeping dogs lie in that case.

Easy to say at the moment but that day and the list of questions will come one day.

Edited by 8MileBU

Yeah Maisie goes to her dad's every weekend,neither of them ask about her.
Fair play to maisies dad for being there.

One day your daughter may realise what she's done and the big question will be if the kids will even want to know.

They will know what you and your wife have done for them and I think once old enough to understand I think they will gain loads more appreciation than you can imagine.

I've just been asked by my 11 year old what's poppin?   What the actual f**k, really, I could see his IQ dropping as he said it.   What's poppin ffs.   This on the same day my 13 year daughter suggested my taste in clothes and music is naff.  
Cheeky little shits.

How have you found lockdown with kids that age? My two are the same age as your two and the youngest one has been ok, but the oldest has maybe struggled a little more. Mixed with teenage hormones, we have certainly had quite a few more arguments than we maybe would have if this wasn’t going on.
As soon as his school stuff sis finished, he just wants to play online with his pals and we only sometimes see him for food. I think it’s good he’s got pals to play stuff online with, but I don’t know if it’s best just to leave him when he is.

Eta: on the music theme, i was helping out at cubs and they said they wanted to do music stuff, things about old songs from the 70s,80s,90s and early 2000s[emoji15]

3 minutes ago, buchan30 said:

How have you found lockdown with kids that age? My two are the same age as your two and the youngest one has been ok, but the oldest has maybe struggled a little more. Mixed with teenage hormones, we have certainly had quite a few more arguments than we maybe would have if this wasn’t going on.
As soon as his school stuff sis finished, he just wants to play online with his pals and we only sometimes see him for food. I think it’s good he’s got pals to play stuff online with, but I don’t know if it’s best just to leave him when he is.

My sons 12 and is much same. He was out for a bit this afternoon with a pal (sons P7 so it’s kind of tricky the 12 thing as all his pals are 11!) 
I’m not conformtable with amount screentime he’s having but he’s doing his schoolwork and there’s not a lot else he can do, but like you at least he’s in touch with pals.

We only moved to the school in August ‘19.

Reassuring to hear it’s not just my teenager then. He’es been out a few times with his pals and tries to get them to go out, but with not much to do but dot around the streets i can see why they don’t fancy it. We have used the screentime as a trade-off for getting the school work done. Im quite happy to be a bit more relaxed about it due to everything going on and it does keep him in touch with people.

The homeschooling is very do-able if you've not got much work to do yourself - as there are so many options of things to give a go. It's all about actually spending the time with them, showing full attention to what they're doing (whatever work they're given, get fully involved) .

But that's not easy and it takes time. If you've got loads to do then it's like running a tight schedule and trying to stick to it as much as possible. Exhausting stuff but every now and then give yourself a fucking break, and everyone chill.

My kids are young enough to be impressed by loads of shit, as long as me or mum are involved too (baking, crafts, experiments, cleaning the loft). Expecting them to make their own good fun or be productive on their own is simply for the birds. No chance.

I've been worried about fitness of my girl, as she's a lazy wee so and so (age 8). But a homemade timed assault course does the job (doesn't take long to setup and gets them knackered after a few go's).

Screen time is strict in our house , 1/2 hour per day - but I'd be ok with that being a little higher if i had a teenager and they were engaging with pals. That stuff matters (as long as it's not 3 or 4 hour sessions as that's just brain melt stuff).

Serious respect to anyone homeschooling. It sounds an absolute nightmare.

The homeschooling is very do-able if you've not got much work to do yourself - as there are so many options of things to give a go. It's all about actually spending the time with them, showing full attention to what they're doing (whatever work they're given, get fully involved) .

But that's not easy and it takes time. If you've got loads to do then it's like running a tight schedule and trying to stick to it as much as possible. Exhausting stuff but every now and then give yourself a fucking break, and everyone chill.

Primary school stuff isn’t too bad, but it seems slightly more complicated than the stuff I remember doing at primary.

The oldests stuff has been quite challenging, because a lot of it is stuff that i was shite at. Although on saying that, there has been stuff that has been quite good like his pop music through the years etc. And spanish stuff has just stuck with me throughout the years.

History is a lot harder, because more things have happened.

We have been fortunate in that we have jobs that we couldn’t do from home, but i imagine working from home and dealing with home schooling must be really tough. Fair play to you if you are managing that.

Primary school stuff isn’t too bad, but it seems slightly more complicated than the stuff I remember doing at primary.

The oldests stuff has been quite challenging, because a lot of it is stuff that i was shite at. Although on saying that, there has been stuff that has been quite good like his pop music through the years etc. And spanish stuff has just stuck with me throughout the years.

History is a lot harder, because more things have happened.

We have been fortunate in that we have jobs that we couldn’t do from home, but i imagine working from home and dealing with home schooling must be really tough. Fair play to you if you are managing that.
I'm a history teacher so it's the new-fangled maths ways that get me.

I've decided to teach them old school times tables (rote learning works!!), and just make sure we're doing reading every day. I don't care what they read, i just want them to enjoy it, and do it regularly.

The rest is all bonus stuff.

But yeah I'm guessing the secondary stuff is tough as kids need teachers. The instructions should always be quite clear though. I'd be annoyed with myself if i ever set work for my classes that a parent couldn't work out (but then again other subjects could be like a whole other language).

On 11/02/2021 at 22:59, RH33 said:

I screen banned my girls this afternoon.

I think it was a form of self harm on my part. It was a long and fraught afternoon!

I get this a lot. my wives favourite punishment is to stop the wee one going on her ipad (youtube, disney+) but that punishes me as i have to deal with the fall out from it.

the conversation in our house this morning

Daughter - talking back about something

Wife - OK, there will be no

Me - (Jumping in) WOW, lets think about this now... she only got it back at the weekend

Wife - If looks could kill, i would not be here right now!

i do worry about her screen time, esp now she has 2 hours of live lessons a day, but there is no way the wife and i would be able to do our jobs without her playing on her ipad.

Everything was great in the run up to christmas, all her sports were back, she could see friends and go to school. Now she is back in the house with us full time, no wonder she is acting up. I am the exact same.. just not in the way she is.

55 minutes ago, steelmen said:

I get this a lot. my wives favourite punishment is to stop the wee one going on her ipad (youtube, disney+) but that punishes me as i have to deal with the fall out from it.

the conversation in our house this morning

Daughter - talking back about something

Wife - OK, there will be no

Me - (Jumping in) WOW, lets think about this now... she only got it back at the weekend

Wife - If looks could kill, i would not be here right now!

i do worry about her screen time, esp now she has 2 hours of live lessons a day, but there is no way the wife and i would be able to do our jobs without her playing on her ipad.

Everything was great in the run up to christmas, all her sports were back, she could see friends and go to school. Now she is back in the house with us full time, no wonder she is acting up. I am the exact same.. just not in the way she is.

I’m Now in possession of my sons Xbox to tv cable 🙈