Pregnancy And Parenting

I'm sure it'll be sorted out one way or another.

Worst case scenario is he has to be fed through a tube (down his nose, I'd imagine, direct into his stomach wouldn't really be an option, realistically.)

He's away horse riding at the minute, so it's not as if he is at death's door.

But it is certainly a major concern.

1 hour ago, Jacksgranda said:

He's getting admitted tomorrow and being put on a drip (probably). Jacksgranny is convinced social services will take him away and put him into care, blaming his mother for not feeding him properly. I can't see it myself, although they will no doubt get involved. There is a mountain of evidence that she has been seeking help for this problem for years, it's not as if she's witholding food from him, her other two eat everything that's put in front of them, I think it has something to do with his autism.

"Have you tried beans on toast?" "Have you tried scrambled eggs on toast?" "No, I never thought of that!" F*** me, what do you think? 

He's been a poor eater for years but it seems to have accelerated, maybe lockdown has knocked him completely off his way of going.

Hope they get him on the mend asap JG,  the social services thing is a worry but common sense should prevail, all the best 

Just now, heedthebaa said:

Hope they get him on the mend asap JG,  the social services thing is a worry but common sense should prevail, all the best 

Thanks, you've been down the hospitalation route a lot more than we have, and survived many a problem.

My wife is convinced ss will get involved (probably because of our long experience of ss through our fostering and adopting) but I'm not so sure. She tends to worry and sees the worst side of any situation (may be a consequence of being left at widow at 38 with 6 youngsters) and so thinks ss will be swooping on Thursday morning, and my stepdaughter (the mother of the child) is a worrier par excellemce, so the two of them together is like Worry City x 2.

I would be a bit of a worrier, but tend to keep my thoughts to myself, more inclined on the "whatever will be, will be" approach, whether that outcome is good, bad or indifferent. At the end of the day, there is very little that gets altered by worrying (other than detrimentally affecting your own health.)

1 hour ago, Jacksgranda said:

Thanks, you've been down the hospitalation route a lot more than we have, and survived many a problem.

My wife is convinced ss will get involved (probably because of our long experience of ss through our fostering and adopting) but I'm not so sure. She tends to worry and sees the worst side of any situation (may be a consequence of being left at widow at 38 with 6 youngsters) and so thinks ss will be swooping on Thursday morning, and my stepdaughter (the mother of the child) is a worrier par excellemce, so the two of them together is like Worry City x 2.

I would be a bit of a worrier, but tend to keep my thoughts to myself, more inclined on the "whatever will be, will be" approach, whether that outcome is good, bad or indifferent. At the end of the day, there is very little that gets altered by worrying (other than detrimentally affecting your own health.)

Other way round here, I’m the worrier here, my daughter in law and wife just get wired in to every situation that arises. Probably why in the early years a lot was kept from me. I’m sure it’ll work out bud

16 hours ago, heedthebaa said:

Other way round here, I’m the worrier here, my daughter in law and wife just get wired in to every situation that arises. Probably why in the early years a lot was kept from me. I’m sure it’ll work out bud

Sometimes I would tell my wife something fairly inconsequential just to give her something to worry about and take her mind off something that was perhaps more important for her to worry about, if that makes sense! :lol: 

Updated for Crawford Bridge

Name Children
Stewarty Mac 1
Pollymac 1
Skyline Drifter 2
Napolean Dynamite 1
Half A Person 1

The Chief (Hamilton Aca) 1
Ebanda's Handyman 1
Reading Saintee 2
Haitch 1
Reina 2
nelsjfc 2
MB 1
G_Man1985 2
Ceske 1
f_c_dundee 1
seamus 1
Waspie 2
Cargen Qos 1
Hey! Ho! Jambo! 1
LOL @ Celtic 1
lichtie23 3
endieinreekie 1
BigBadSaint 1
Suspect Device 1
Thundermonkey 1
gypoarmy 1
savagecabbage 1
bairnPunter 1
walter fitz gilbert 1
Whistle Blower 1
chico 1
Mozza Mozza 1
Gnash 2
die hard doonhamer 3
rajpelt 1
RH33 2
Mallo_Madrid 2
Shuggie_Murray7 3
bobby carlos 2
paisley saints 1
Adam & Lisa Cuddy 1
greenockraver 1
gingapar 1
diamonds2002 2
Adolfo Rios 1
Swarley 2
Tynierose 1
Polomoney 1
one m in Motherwell 1
kanadia 1
Uncle Physchosis 1
ditots 1
Addie 2
CooCoothenoo 1
baillieinleeds 1
groaninjock 1
Mr.Blue 1
Gaz 3
Fife saint 1
madwullie 2
11thHour 1
MB 1
Raithie 1
Stagmaster 1
pandarilla 2
Nkomo-A-Gogo 2
CLANCY2KTID 1
1888bhoy67 3
Jamie_Beatson 2
el buitre 2
RaithRyan 1
The Wolf 1
Greenlantern 1
deadasdillinger 1
energyzone 2
mozam76 1
scottsdad 1
KiwiDB 2
Steven Seagal* 1
lightscamera 2
carpetmonster 1
Le Tout P'ti FC 1
Bobby Skidmarks 2
Gaz 2
Heed 1
We Are Elgin 2
Nelly'78 1
stimpy 1
weirdcal 2
Scary Bear 3
milton75 1
Dee Dee 2
sparky88 1
Desp 1
8MileBU 1
The Ginger Prince 2
gav-ffc 1
pub car king 2
KnightswoodBear 3
DarkBlue62 2
RoversMad 1
HMFC Mitchy 1
Deefiant 3
11thHour 2
Ando 3
Penny Lane 1
Bambino7 2
K.T. 1
SlipperyP 3
banana 2
Sweet Pete 2
Anonymous Spider 1
Glen Medieros 1
Bear in Sweden 2
the snudge 1
Septentrional Wasp 2
Scotty79 1
jmothecat 2
mattydfc93 1
streetwisehercules 1
ally 2
Adamski 2
LoonsYouthTeam 1
sjc 1
Honest Saints Fan &Rugster 2
Bairnardo 2
Saigon Raider 2
steelmen 1
Ayrshire-SFC 1
Dicko23 1
StandFree03 1
spacekid84 1
19QOS19 2
Tartantony 2
mcintyre_gmfc 2
Wren Road 1
gkneill 1
The Woolshed 2
BigBo10 2
Tommy Nooka 1
placidcasual 1
dave.j 2
Toma_BullyWee 1
++Ammo - Airdrie++ 1
Dindeleux 1
forameus 1
Jimmy85 1
Stuarty 1
fanny paddery 1
paisleysaints 1
wellboy1991 1
The Equalizer 1
stumigo 1
EH75 1
PB1994 1
PB 4.2 1
pleslie99 1
dysartrovers 3
grumswall 1
ShaggysBeard 2
ICTChris 1
throbber 1
Disco30 1
Inanimate Carbon Rod 1
Wardy 1
Neiljb 1
K.T. 1
Ingo ohne Flamingo 1
MOrtonfc 1
Aufc 2
MP_MFC 1
Northsea80 1
.Stuart. 2
FalkirkBairn93 1
KillieCon 1
Illgresi 1
Busta Nut 1
Ross. 1
tree house tam 1
MixuFruit 1
Salvo Montalbano 1
Crawford Bridge 1
Total 254

On 30/06/2020 at 13:45, Jacksgranda said:

He's getting admitted tomorrow and being put on a drip (probably). Jacksgranny is convinced social services will take him away and put him into care, blaming his mother for not feeding him properly. I can't see it myself, although they will no doubt get involved. There is a mountain of evidence that she has been seeking help for this problem for years, it's not as if she's witholding food from him, her other two eat everything that's put in front of them, I think it has something to do with his autism.

"Have you tried beans on toast?" "Have you tried scrambled eggs on toast?" "No, I never thought of that!" F*** me, what do you think? 

He's been a poor eater for years but it seems to have accelerated, maybe lockdown has knocked him completely off his way of going.

I really shouldn't listen to my wife :lol:

He got a cat scan, goes back tomorrow for the results and gets another scan. He's away home to his big brother's birthday party, not that it'll be much of a party, just the three of them + mum & dad.

He's being referred to a dietician, although what the f*** good that will do I don't know. His mother knows how to prepare balanced, healthy meals, he won't eat them. He's to get no more rubbish apparently, so that means he'll be eating nothing.

"He'll eat when he's hungry" hasn't worked up to now, so I've no reason to think it will in the future.

42 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

I really shouldn't listen to my wife :lol:

He got a cat scan, goes back tomorrow for the results and gets another scan. He's away home to his big brother's birthday party, not that it'll be much of a party, just the three of them + mum & dad.

He's being referred to a dietician, although what the f*** good that will do I don't know. His mother knows how to prepare balanced, healthy meals, he won't eat them. He's to get no more rubbish apparently, so that means he'll be eating nothing.

"He'll eat when he's hungry" hasn't worked up to now, so I've no reason to think it will in the future.

At least it’s a start to putting him right, but it can be hard to get them to eat healthy etc. We have a tendency to give the grandkids what they want to eat on a Friday, no our job to upset them by putting meals they don’t want to eat, usually 6 different meals 😂

21 minutes ago, heedthebaa said:

At least it’s a start to putting him right, but it can be hard to get them to eat healthy etc. We have a tendency to give the grandkids what they want to eat on a Friday, no our job to upset them by putting meals they don’t want to eat, usually 6 different meals 😂

It's hard getting him to eat - Goodfellas thin base pepperoni pizza (no other type pizza and no other brand), popcorn chicken from KFC, chicken goujons, purple monster munch, toast and butter (Move Over Butter only, any other brand he refuses to eat), cocktail sausages and oranges.

Now, that doesn't look too bad, but lately he'll take one bite of pizza and refuse to eat any more, maybe half of a tub of popcorn chicken, he'll take one chicken goujon then stop, he won't eat cocktail sausages now and he'll maybe take a couple or three orange segments. He'll eat purple monster munch but that's about it.

He'll sniff his pizza and tell you it's not his pizza (goodfellas, he can tell by his sense of smell) he'll sniff his toast and bread and tell you it's not his bread (we don't always have his usual loaf) or not his butter (again he can tell by his sense of smell).

A dietician is not the answer - dieticians have been involved before - they need to get to the bottom of why he's not eating (I think his autism has a lot to do with it) and how to get him to eat.

My daughter's struggling with toilet training. It's a real, 1 step forward, 2 steps back situation a lot of the time as she sometimes recognises that she needs to go but then next time seems completely oblivious. She's started to get self conscious about it as I suspect some of the other kids at her kindergarten are perhaps teasing her about it. Although, I do wonder if complacency or laziness is part of the issue as she's always on the go, doing and learning new things that going to the toilet might seem boring and "old hat" in comparison.

We have wondered whether her treatment may have dulled her sensation for "needing to go", which would make sense but it's impossible to say for sure. 

Any advice? 

My daughter's struggling with toilet training. It's a real, 1 step forward, 2 steps back situation a lot of the time as she sometimes recognises that she needs to go but then next time seems completely oblivious. She's started to get self conscious about it as I suspect some of the other kids at her kindergarten are perhaps teasing her about it. Although, I do wonder if complacency or laziness is part of the issue as she's always on the go, doing and learning new things that going to the toilet might seem boring and "old hat" in comparison.
We have wondered whether her treatment may have dulled her sensation for "needing to go", which would make sense but it's impossible to say for sure. 
Any advice? 
The laziness/distraction thing is very real and toilet training, more than most issues with kids (although this is common for various issues IMO) was one that is very "phased" and sorted itself whilst we were busy stressing over a solution. I would say dont stress about it and it will come good.

1 hour ago, sjc said:

Any advice? 

Ben was really difficult when it came to toilet training but we just stuck out and it worked in the end,the main thing is don't make a big deal of it when she has an accident.

It's hard getting him to eat - Goodfellas thin base pepperoni pizza (no other type pizza and no other brand), popcorn chicken from KFC, chicken goujons, purple monster munch, toast and butter (Move Over Butter only, any other brand he refuses to eat), cocktail sausages and oranges.
Now, that doesn't look too bad, but lately he'll take one bite of pizza and refuse to eat any more, maybe half of a tub of popcorn chicken, he'll take one chicken goujon then stop, he won't eat cocktail sausages now and he'll maybe take a couple or three orange segments. He'll eat purple monster munch but that's about it.
He'll sniff his pizza and tell you it's not his pizza (goodfellas, he can tell by his sense of smell) he'll sniff his toast and bread and tell you it's not his bread (we don't always have his usual loaf) or not his butter (again he can tell by his sense of smell).
A dietician is not the answer - dieticians have been involved before - they need to get to the bottom of why he's not eating (I think his autism has a lot to do with it) and how to get him to eat.
It's a horribly difficult situation.

My view is that if you make the mistake early on of giving in to them because they won't eat what you prepare - then you're always going to struggle.

I can't understand parents who regularly make more than one meal for the family. On the odd occasion, it's fine, like any treat. But regularly? That's mental.

If you get in early the idea that this is the dinner and there's no other option then it usually works. Having a wee bit of variety for meals is obviously a good tip (wraps/sandwiches/baked potatoes with loads of options where they can choose their fillings).

I think it's quite an old school mentality i have, and fortunately for us it's worked. Our eldest has always ate well, and the youngest went through a big phase of needing coaxed, and being a bit thin - but he's come out of it in the last few months and is scoffing loads now.

I know that there are all types of psychological issues that can have a huge impact. Like you say, it could be an effect if the autism.

But it's certainly not easy.

I’m in the cook one meal camp too. Don’t eat it don’t ask for anything else. Occasionally I’ll need do something different for allergy kid.

Food issues with autism is very common though. 

We were referred to dietician when allergy kid was diagnosed and they weren’t much use. I think if you weren’t already able cook meals from scratch they might have been useful.

I’m in the cook one meal camp too. Don’t eat it don’t ask for anything else. Occasionally I’ll need do something different for allergy kid.
Food issues with autism is very common though. 

We were referred to dietician when allergy kid was diagnosed and they weren’t much use. I think if you weren’t already able cook meals from scratch they might have been useful.
There's a part of me that hopes the whole family call thid child 'allergy kid', and maybe their classmates and teachers too.

I often use the phrase 'the big one' and the 'the small one' but allergy kid is in a whole new level.

9 hours ago, Bairnardo said:
9 hours ago, sjc said:
Any advice? 

The laziness/distraction thing is very real and toilet training, more than most issues with kids (although this is common for various issues IMO) was one that is very "phased" and sorted itself whilst we were busy stressing over a solution. I would say dont stress about it and it will come good.

Yeh, I was a bit like this as a kid too with regard to schoolwork  (the early years only.....then I just lost interest completely!)

Fingers crossed she'll outgrow it when she's ready. 

8 hours ago, keithgy said:

Ben was really difficult when it came to toilet training but we just stuck out and it worked in the end,the main thing is don't make a big deal of it when she has an accident.

Yeh, we're certainly conscious of not making a big deal about it. Other kids at the kindergarten teasing her is outwith our control though and it's a wee bit heartbreaking when you see her becoming sensitive to it but she's a tough cookie that's come through far worse, so I'm confident she'll cope in the long run.

Thanks for the words of encouragement guys. Appreciated.

9 hours ago, pandarilla said:

It's a horribly difficult situation.

My view is that if you make the mistake early on of giving in to them because they won't eat what you prepare - then you're always going to struggle.

I can't understand parents who regularly make more than one meal for the family. On the odd occasion, it's fine, like any treat. But regularly? That's mental.

If you get in early the idea that this is the dinner and there's no other option then it usually works. Having a wee bit of variety for meals is obviously a good tip (wraps/sandwiches/baked potatoes with loads of options where they can choose their fillings).

I think it's quite an old school mentality i have, and fortunately for us it's worked. Our eldest has always ate well, and the youngest went through a big phase of needing coaxed, and being a bit thin - but he's come out of it in the last few months and is scoffing loads now.

I know that there are all types of psychological issues that can have a huge impact. Like you say, it could be an effect if the autism.

But it's certainly not easy.

There's a lot more to it than "giving in to him". You sound like my stepdaughter's partner, tbqh