Pregnancy And Parenting

How are people's kids dealing with the lockdown?

Callan is two and I think that's a fairly good age for all this.  He's pretty happy to go out for walks in the park or play in the garden every day.  We let him watch one or two programmes on telly every day as well (we have his programmes recorded, mostly Julia Donaldson adaptations) and spend a lot of time reading with him as well.  My wife is really good with getting him painting pictures or messing about with trays of weird messy play things.  It's been hard for us as I've kept working and my wife has had to balance her two days a week across the whole week but we've muddled through.  

He has missed his grandparents, espeically his granny who he would see 2-3 times a week, but we now see them a couple of times a week socially distanced which is really nice.  I do worry about him being away from other kids, he's been out of nursery for more than three months now and I think he misses the interaction.  Since the easing of restrictions we've met up with a couple of his wee pals and their family for walks which has been really nice. 

Obviously Cal is only two but he's picked up about what's happening.  He's learned that all the parks we usually go to are closed and a few weeks into the lockdown he said to me on a walk "shops closed, nursery closed, musicbugs closed, playpark closed" so he has worked out that something's different.  When we are walking he's also taken to stopping and going to the side of the road whenever anyone goes past, which is kind of funny but I hope that this whole period doesn't make him too wary of people.  I think getting back to nursery and having contact with other people will be really good for him, hopefully it'll happen sooner rather than later.

One of my colleagues is having a really hard time with his kids, they are 5 anf 7 and are goign completely wild shut up in the house, trashing the place, refusing to sleep, hitting him and his wife.  They've made an appointment with a child psychologist and have started giving them sleeping aids (sleep gummi bears) as well as a weighted blanket to help them sleep.  

My sons feeling pretty detached from his friends and class but Xbox live does se to help. He’s on it far too much at moment but he does take himself away once a day for 6/7 mike cycle.

Middle one is 9 and has dealt with it well. She’s pretty sensible at best of times. Done her schoolwork, video chatted with her bestie.

Wee one at 7 has struggled. She’s had some great meltdowns which at times I’ve not coped with very well. She also wouldn’t engage without a total battle with home schooling.

The head was kind enough give me a couple hours a day in the hub last week and this for them. 

50 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

How are people's kids dealing with the lockdown?

I have 2 teenagers. It has barely made any difference to their usual lifestyles. 🙈

Our 4 year old has been great. She understands why she isn't allowed to nursery, the park etc. She's a right wee militant when it comes to hand washing and avoiding people. I think with me being not well the last 2 years her understanding is a lot more advance than most children her age.  Fraser on the other hand doesn't have a clue. He had only been at nursery a couple months before all this happened so not enough time to get used to it. I am actually worried about how he's going to settle at nursery again as he has been so used to seeing Ruggy, me and my mum every day.

2 yr old thinks it's the greatest thing ever, mum and dad at her beck and call from the moment she gets up till the moment she goes to bed. Going back to nursery will be a nightmare. She is loud and wild and stubborn and determined. Mum and dad on the other hand are exhausted, we are both trying to work on top of looking after her and homeschooling a P7 who has just had his last year at primary ended far too abruptly. He was supposed to be going to Kilbowie on the 23rd March. It has been tough but we are all alive and healthy so can't complain. No time for big DIY or garden projects here though!

The missus is due at the beginning of August, looking forward to seeing the wee person we've felt kicking and wriggling around for many months now. Not looking forward to the same TV shows or movies on repeat for many years. 

Curious to know how any recent parents have got on with giving birth in lock down, have you been allowed in the hospital at the same time as your partner? 

5 hours ago, thistledo said:

The missus is due at the beginning of August, looking forward to seeing the wee person we've felt kicking and wriggling around for many months now. Not looking forward to the same TV shows or movies on repeat for many years. 

Curious to know how any recent parents have got on with giving birth in lock down, have you been allowed in the hospital at the same time as your partner? 

Congratulations my man. Fantastic news. Now, you’ve only got a month to get sorted at Kebab Mahal before your life is gone in the blink of an eye! 

5 hours ago, thistledo said:

Congratulations.

Two of my mates and a guy from work all become Dad’s about 5, 6 weeks or so ago. All of them were allowed to be present from labour to birth, but all three of them got about half an hour with Mum & baby then got asked to leave. 

10 hours ago, Rugster said:

Congratulations my man. Fantastic news. Now, you’ve only got a month to get sorted at Kebab Mahal before your life is gone in the blink of an eye! 

Thank you mate. Hahaha I thought it had been too long since you last mentioned this. I got very close at the last night out in Edinburgh, but it was between catching the last train and Kebab Mahal... and I've had enough Ubers and nightbuses back to Glasgow. 

10 hours ago, 8MileBU said:

Congratulations.

Two of my mates and a guy from work all become Dad’s about 5, 6 weeks or so ago. All of them were allowed to be present from labour to birth, but all three of them got about half an hour with Mum & baby then got asked to leave. 

Thanks! Positive news on the being allowed to be present, less so in only getting half an hour before being kicked out. Do you know whereabouts that was? We'll be going to the QEUH, wasn't allowed to attend a scan there with the missus around April, which was a bit of a gutter. 

16 hours ago, thistledo said:

Step daughter nr 3 had a baby on 1st April, partner sent home after dropping her off and only allowed in to take them home, as far as I remember.

16 hours ago, thistledo said:

I was allowed in but no-one else was(Other than hospital staff, obviously).

Anyone had issues with their children suffering a reaction to your choice of washing detergent? The youngster has suffered a bit of an outbreak of what looks like eczema on his legs and arms. Doctors recommended a few different moisturisers and to perhaps change to a different detergent as the one we are using(Bog standard Ariel capsule things) may have caused a reaction.

Anyone able to recommend a more child friendly product?

12 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

Step daughter nr 3 had a baby on 1st April, partner sent home after dropping her off and only allowed in to take them home, as far as I remember.

Sounds about right for April, hoping times have changed when it comes to end of July/August, but there's not a lot of information on what may happen. 

6 minutes ago, Ross. said:

Anyone had issues with their children suffering a reaction to your choice of washing detergent? The youngster has suffered a bit of an outbreak of what looks like eczema on his legs and arms. Doctors recommended a few different moisturisers and to perhaps change to a different detergent as the one we are using(Bog standard Ariel capsule things) may have caused a reaction.

Thanks man. The wee one isn't even here yet, but the missus has been washing all the baby clothes in Fairy non bio, because her sister uses it, she has one kid and looks after many others, never had any issues with it so thought we'd give it a go. 

My eldest's skin is awful. We use non-bio detergent all the time for her stuff now. It's made a massive difference. Have you got Aveno for wee one skin? That's good stuff as well.

5 minutes ago, thistledo said:

Sounds about right for April, hoping times have changed when it comes to end of July/August, but there's not a lot of information on what may happen. 

Thanks man. The wee one isn't even here yet, but the missus has been washing all the baby clothes in Fairy non bio, because her sister uses it, she has one kid and looks after many others, never had any issues with it so thought we'd give it a go. 

4 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

My eldest's skin is awful. We use non-bio detergent all the time for her stuff now. It's made a massive difference. Have you got Aveno for wee one skin? That's good stuff as well.

We were told to try something called Dexeryl, no idea if thats a generic name or a brand name in these parts.

Will have a look and see if the detergent I am using is non bio or not, and switch to one that is and see how it goes.

25 minutes ago, thistledo said:

Thanks! Positive news on the being allowed to be present, less so in only getting half an hour before being kicked out. Do you know whereabouts that was? We'll be going to the QEUH, wasn't allowed to attend a scan there with the missus around April, which was a bit of a gutter. 

My two friend’s kids were both born at Forth Valley Hospital. My mate from work lives in the Corstorphine area of Edinburgh, but I’m not all that sure which hospital that’d mean baby was born at. 

I doubt it in a hospital environment, but maybe with lockdown restrictions having eased slightly since my friends kids arrived, you might be lucky and they may allow Dad’s a wee bit longer with Mum and baby once he or she is born.
All the best anyway 👍

We got an eco egg as my youngest is also allergic to detergent.
It does a job keeping clean and reusable and it has helped loads with his and especially the volume of washes kids clothes need
https://www.ecostore.ie/p/ecoegg---laundry-egg---720-washes/eele720

38 minutes ago, weirdcal said:

We got an eco egg as my youngest is also allergic to detergent.
It does a job keeping clean and reusable and it has helped loads with his and especially the volume of washes kids clothes need
https://www.ecostore.ie/p/ecoegg---laundry-egg---720-washes/eele720

Just ordered one of them. If it doesn't make a difference, I'm sending you the bill.

Just ordered one of them. If it doesn't make a difference, I'm sending you the bill.
Been using ours near two years now. Outbreaks are at a low. We noticed a difference within a day or two.
We also use fragrance free child's farm cream and bath crap