Pregnancy And Parenting

46 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

I'm a teacher and I've got a 7 and a 5 year old.

The first thing to note is that you need to try and not worry about them missing school (try to think back all the things you were taught at school and how many you can actually remember now).

With the slight exception of teenagers going through qualification courses, they are missing nothing vital, and nothing that can't be kept going at home.

I can't stress enough that quality is much better than quantity. If you can help them get 2 or 3 good sessions of 20-40 mins then that's more than enough.

Get them to read to you, or get them to read something on their own and then tell you about it. Ask them questions.

Try to do some of the work being sent by the school but don't worry about all of it. No-one is expecting everything to be done - it's simply not possible. Don't get stressed by technology. If it's not working for you, do something else.

I'm loving spending quality time with them in other ways, and they'll learn just as much from that as they will from any school work. Cook or bake something together, or do some gardening, even watching films together - as long as you're spending some quality time with them.

Other than that, give them their own space and this will allow you to get your own work done. They need free time as well.

Pretty much everything you’ve described there has been pretty much exactly as it's been for us to be honest. 

Edited by 8MileBU

On 25/05/2020 at 00:18, pandarilla said:

The first thing to note is that you need to try and not worry about them missing school (try to think back all the things you were taught at school and how many you can actually remember now).

With the slight exception of teenagers going through qualification courses, they are missing nothing vital, and nothing that can't be kept going at home.

I think this is a really important point. When I was a kid we moved about a bit for a couple of years. I'm a February birthday and started school in Scotland, so my parents had the option of, and chose to, defer me a year. We moved to England when I was 8, and due to how they work it I was put forward a year. When we moved back to Scotland 2 years later I wasn't put back, so I missed a whole year of primary school. I turned out fine. The kids will be fine.

Edited by die hard doonhamer

Technique we used to use was squeezing the wee ones legs up tight to her chest (well, as close as possible), holding it for a wee bit then releasing straight out. Helped on occasion.
We were advised to also move the legs as if cycling but slowly. Apparently helps trapped wind move.

He has absolutely no issues now. many an evening an absolute ripper is picked up on the monitor and causes a few laughs.

If the wee git would only start sleeping through on consecutive nights instead of alternate, I'd be a happy and well rested man

Sitting on the rocking chair with the youngster sleeping peacefully on my arm. His arms start waving like he is eccied off his nut at a rave in 1992, then he lets out a scream as loud as any noise he has previously made, then he simply settles again as if I imagined the whole thing.

Weans are fucking weird.

Edited by Ross.

29 minutes ago, Ross. said:

Sitting on the rocking chair with the youngster sleeping peacefully on my arm. His arms start waving like he is eccied off his nut at a rave in 1992, then he lets out a scream as loud as any noise he has previously made, then he simply settles again as if I imagined the whole thing.

Weans are fucking weird.

When we were in Lanzarote last year Ben woke up at 5am sat upright and went Kachow at the top of his voice like Lighting McQueen from Cars and the just lay back down to sleep.

Yep kids are weird.

16 hours ago, Ross. said:

Weans are fucking weird.

Had a few of them afore. I was wondering what it meant.

I also need a rocking chair.

12 hours ago, Busta Nut said:

Where would I look for one?

She spent a small fortune on one from a local antique place. I actually use an Ikea effort because I find it much more comfortable. Got one of these ones when they were on sale years ago and find it much better than a proper rocking chair for holding the wee man in: https://www.ikea.com/ch/de/p/poaeng-sessel-birkenfurnier-hillared-dunkelblau-s49197806/

6 minutes ago, NJ2 said:

One day son, you too might be able to job around league one getting embarrassed by part time players. Make me proud!

His head is so big (😂) and unbreakable that he'll be a magnificent league 1 defender. He was named after Frazer Wright after all.

His head is so big ([emoji23]) and unbreakable that he'll be a magnificent league 1 defender. He was named after Frazer Wright after all.

Named after Frazer Wright, destined to be a huddy (a huddy with a career I would have loved but a huddy all the same)

23 hours ago, throbber said:

Had 20 week scan just there and found out we are having a son.

Will that be one of each? A gentleman's family.

Edited by Jacksgranda