Pregnancy And Parenting

Another no show by the kids mother fo contact today.
Hope you have a back up plan on days like this. Take the edge off for the kids.
At some point I hope she realises what she has done and what she is missing out on.

22 minutes ago, weirdcal said:

Hope you have a back up plan on days like this. Take the edge off for the kids.
At some point I hope she realises what she has done and what she is missing out on.

They do not know they are going to see her,we only stay 10 mins from the social work office and they call us when or if she arrives.

They do not know they are going to see her,we only stay 10 mins from the social work office and they call us when or if she arrives.
Better that way. That would break my heart to see them being let down like that. They are better off with you and better off not knowing why they don't see their mum.
Hopefully daughters dad is still about, he seems to be at least interested.

8 minutes ago, weirdcal said:

Better that way. That would break my heart to see them being let down like that. They are better off with you and better off not knowing why they don't see their mum.
Hopefully daughters dad is still about, he seems to be at least interested.

He is a great lad and he gets her every weekend,he has earned the title of daddy not just  a father.

Midwife been today and done the heel test etc, she's lost 10% of her weight which she said does happen but is on the high end of what they would like so they are happy that we moved to combo feeding last night. She just wasn't staying latched and we weren't getting enough nappies.

I feel so helpless for the wife but she's taken it in her stride today as having the bottle overnight meant she could sleep properly and I took care of the feeds and after a few wee wobbles yesterday when it wasn't working she has remembered how much she said she wasn't going to be hung up on BF if it wasn't working.

Easier said than done.
Health visitor (who has been brilliant) was back yesterday to do her slightly belated 16 week check, the wee one is doing great and her weight gain has been consistent since we made the move to combo feeding (she's 17lbs 7oz) and in the 91-98%ile. She's also in that range for her height too which if it holds out will mean she is much taller than her mum.

She's probably mainly feeding either through boob or pumped milk now and only really getting formula in emergency or before bed but it's the best thing we ever did.

Just thought I'd post up the update as the above was when we were pretty low as she was going to get taken back in to hospital and hopefully anyone who has a similar experience can take a bit of comfort in knowing things can work out when it seems they are going bad.

She's also just had her first tooth come in (think she bit down for the first time in mum tonight and that did not go down well, but she'll get used to it)

My son lost 13% and just wouldn’t gain.  He was 4lb 7oz. They were in every day weighing him. Debating taking him back in etc. One day I would be told not top up, next day yes depending on midwives view. Calls to duty paediatrician, stressguland emotional.

11 years on and he never fucking stops eating! 

Went to a ‘support’ group which was more like a judgement group.

Six weeks this went on, pnd had set in (already was nutter) and I packed up and went north for few days. Very lovely, sensible health visitor there saw me as visiting patient and was like no, this is crazy, he needs mixed fed, you’re not producing enough. It doesn’t make you an awful mum. It’s not poison!

Thing is my next I fed for two weeks, loss then slow gain then loss and I was like f**k this bottle.

Third was bottle fed as hospital told me I was too ill even attempt anything else . Guess what, lost almost 10% and gained slowly!!!!

I was obbsesssd with those percentile charts.

5 hours ago, keithgy said:

Heartbreaking situation. You're a good man, Keith.

Gambatte

4 year old grand daughter came in from play school with her uniform absolutely bogging. "What were you doing", I asked her. I got one of those looks - you know the kind - and then in a voice reserved for particularly stupid men, "Playing".

You stocked up on Ashton and Parson powder aye?
Got the gel stuff but not used it yet as we have been able to just about keep her settled but it's horrible. She got her first one through about 10 days ago and I think I felt this one coming through this morning so hopefully it's through shortly and she gets a bit of a break.

Got the gel stuff but not used it yet as we have been able to just about keep her settled but it's horrible. She got her first one through about 10 days ago and I think I felt this one coming through this morning so hopefully it's through shortly and she gets a bit of a break.
Give the powder a go. It's expensive; £5 a pack I'm sure, but it seemed to help our wee one. They are tiny packets so it's not difficult to get them to take it and won't disrupt them too much.

We were really fucking lucky with teething. No real issues. Catherine in particular didn't even notice any difference. Fraser gets a scabby chin from time to time as more come in but not really any screaming or up all night. Well he is, but not with teething. Just cause he's a fucking moon man.