Pregnancy And Parenting

10 minutes ago, Ingo ohne Flamingo said:

I speak a wee bit of German so I'm bringing up our daughter to be bilingual so she watched the baby equivalent to Baby TV but mostly she listen to German Pop music. Funnily enough her favourite is a Swiss lassie called Beatrice Egli, she loves her! Plus she's a wid 😂

I know a lot of non Swiss folk here who have brought children up either with a Swiss partner or another foreigner. The language thing just doesn't seem to be an issue, the kids just get on with it and I can't think of a single case where the kids don't end up fluent in both languages. Mate of mines is married to a Russian and his boy is growing up speaking 3 languages, which to me is fairly astonishing but is just accepted here as being completely normal!

Not a fan of Beatrice Egli, but aye, definite wid.

The wife has been away in the States for a week now (due back Saturday) and I’m just about done in! Fair play to those who are able to bring up kids on their own.  I think the most frustrating thing is teeth brushing - I’ve had to refrain from shouting STOP BITING THE BRUSH 😂

26 minutes ago, Ross. said:

that should have been the entire 'leave' campaign right there

UK kids get to watch Iggle Piggle

Euro sprogs get to enjoy Beatrice Egli

would have been a landslide victory based on dads' votes alone....

wow...

Beatrice-Egli-presents-the-Soundtrack-to-your-Australia-travel-views.jpg

My gf travels to work in town with our 20 month old daughter who’s nursery is near her place of work, the train journey is starting to become a problem as she screams for the entire time she’s on the train to the point it makes the commute completely miserable (even worse on the way home when it’s busier) and it doesn’t show signs of getting any better after 8 weeks of being in our new place. Thing is our daughter loves nursery there and is happy when she gets off the train so it might just be something she will get used to in a few more weeks.

4 hours ago, Ross. said:

I know a lot of non Swiss folk here who have brought children up either with a Swiss partner or another foreigner. The language thing just doesn't seem to be an issue, the kids just get on with it and I can't think of a single case where the kids don't end up fluent in both languages. Mate of mines is married to a Russian and his boy is growing up speaking 3 languages, which to me is fairly astonishing but is just accepted here as being completely normal!

I've got a mate who's a Clyde fan, his wife is Russian originally from Crimea and his 2 kids are fluent in Russian, I also think they can speak Ukrainian as well.

4 hours ago, Herman Hessian said:

that should have been the entire 'leave' campaign right there

UK kids get to watch Iggle Piggle

Euro sprogs get to enjoy Beatrice Egli

would have been a landslide victory based on dads' votes alone....

wow...

Beatrice-Egli-presents-the-Soundtrack-to-your-Australia-travel-views.jpg

Technically she's from a Non-EU country but aye, you're right!! For obvious reasons, I am a happy Daddy that my daughter enjoys watching Beatrice Egli on TV as Daddy also enjoys it, she's class 😍

4 hours ago, Alert Mongoose said:

The wife has been away in the States for a week now (due back Saturday) and I’m just about done in! Fair play to those who are able to bring up kids on their own.  I think the most frustrating thing is teeth brushing - I’ve had to refrain from shouting STOP BITING THE BRUSH 😂

I had it for a weekend recently when she went to Italy with her Dad for a weekend (He's Italian), had a decent enough weekend but it was far from easy. ofcourse I told her when she got home it was a piece of piss 🙈

1 hour ago, Ingo ohne Flamingo said:

I had it for a weekend recently when she went to Italy with her Dad for a weekend (He's Italian), had a decent enough weekend but it was far from easy weekend. ofcourse I told her when she got home from her weekend it was a piece of piss that weekend 🙈

22 hours ago, Jacksgranda said:

Half asleep granddaughter just gave me a wee wave over granny's shoulder as she was carried down to bed.

She's here again as her two brothers are off to movie night at the school. (No, I've no idea what it is either - presume they're showing a film or two - but grandson nr 5 was very anxious to get to it.)

Anyway I asked if she was going home and she answered "Why you ask that , granda?" "So we get peace and quiet", I replied.

Just with that the dog started to bark "You won't get peace and quiet with Bruno barking", quoth she! :lol:

Did anyone else get really frustrated at conflicting information from midwives when they’d visit after you brought your baby home?

Our wee one has only just got back up to her birth weight after 4 weeks, wasn’t latching on properly as she had a tongue tie. Not noticed by midwives or health visitor but suggested to us by a friend who’s own we girl had similar.

Totally! Every single one had different opinion on my sons feeding. After 6 weeks he wasn’t at birth weight. And I made the mistake of going to a breastfeeding ‘support’ group.

Ive said it before on here but after my second I actually had a couple sessions with my therapist dealing with how they’d all left me feeling in regards breastfeeding.

I was really ill after my third and everyone in hospital told me not to feed myself as. Guess what the bottle fed baby didn’t gain weight all that quickly either.

I mix fed my first, he’s now 11 and 5ft, ditched feeding the second at 3 weeks as she started loosing weight again and I couldn’t face stress, moved her on bottle, age 8 she’s in age 6 clothes and is a tiny teeny wee dot of a thing. She had heaps allergies so ended up on amino acid milk. And the bottle fed one is just as smart as the two that got a sniff of tit and isn’t obese!

Babies just don’t always fit into the professionals timelines! If she had wet and dirty nappies your wife is feeding just fine and your wee one is growing.

Weigts and percentiles had me stressed out!

Our health visitor one week gave us a hard time for feeding the baby with a bottle (mostly to give my wife a better sleep in the night) the following week she’s suggesting we top up whatever the baby has had from the mrs by giving her a bottle until she’s sick? I mean, isn’t that counter productive to go to the trouble of expressing and bottling it, only for the baby just to throw it all up?