Pregnancy And Parenting

6 hours ago, sjc said:

We got a dachshund puppy last month. He's only 3 months old so he's still very small and I'm having problems getting it through to Sakura that she needs to be gentle with the wee guy.

f**k me, she's like Lennie from "of mice and men"! 

Good luck with that - our 4 year old granddaughter treats all small dogs and cats like dolls.

3 hours ago, MixuFixit said:

Have folk had pets first then the baby growing up with them or got pets after the baby? My cat died before our baby was born and I quite want another cat but missus is worried it'll just be miserable getting chased about the house by a baby. He sometimes gets a hold of next door's cat and he's generally quite gentle but the cat growls at being grabbed instead of stroked.

We got our Rottweiler when the youngest was a few months old, she (the dog) has always been very patient with him.

We got Diego when he was about 4 so had grown out the baby stage.

I recon you would be ok with a kitten though as they would grow up together knowing each other's ways.

6 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

My two year old really doesnt get it wither with the cat. She frequently tries to climb on his back like a horse and likes to grab his tail.

I am hoping one day he bites her.

Hopefully this is of use to you.

#parenting

I kind of hope he bites her too but the wife would want to get rid of the poor thing if he did.

1 hour ago, Jacksgranda said:

Good luck with that - our 4 year old granddaughter treats all small dogs and cats like dolls.

That's exactly how she treats him!

I've had my cat for 17 years, and my boy for six. In a house fire, I'd grab Samuel and flee, and leave the other one to his fate. You can decide who Samuel is!

They've had an interesting relationship. Introducing a very noisy baby to an oldish cat was tough on the cat, he sulked away from the baby and as soon as baby was in bed he miraculously appeared looking for adult company. Every time.

A friendship grew and now it has got to the stage where they're best pals, and the cat sleeps at the bottom of the bed every night beside his buddy, meaning my nose is totally out of joint after I've done bath and bedtime as both of my sources of cuddles have buggered off upstairs.

Sometimes a still noisy wee boy is way too much for the by now very old cat, but he has always been scrupulous in not taking it out. He seems to know that there is a line and scratching or clawing at a child is way acrosa it.

(As a side note, he once belted my mother in law for some perceived infraction, so he's not immune to issuing a TELT where he feels it's due!) IMG_20190901_185541.jpeg

We had Jet (dug) for 4 years before Aila. She's grown up around my nephews and niece so is really good with kids. Aila loves her but is at that age where she tries the odd tug of the tail. When she was a puppy I used to give Jet the odd pull on the tail or tug of the ear (not cruelty levels, she never yelped) just so she was used to the feeling in case one of the kids did it on the sly and she reacted badly. It sounds cruel but I think it's part of the reason she is so good with the kids. The majority of the time we have either the dog or Aila with us in the house but sometimes they will bugger off themselves. One day I came into the livingroom to see Aila with Jet's back leg up. She found it hilarious and Jet was just standing there like "help". Aila got a telling off and Jet got a treat! I think as long as you are observant, kids and animals will mix fine. We give Jet some time out regularly because Aila is 100mph so we tell her to leave Jet alone for a while. They do love each other though.

IMG-20190814-WA0002.jpeg

We had Jet (dug) for 4 years before Aila. She's grown up around my nephews and niece so is really good with kids. Aila loves her but is at that age where she tries the odd tug of the tail. When she was a puppy I used to give Jet the odd pull on the tail or tug of the ear (not cruelty levels, she never yelped) just so she was used to the feeling in case one of the kids did it on the sly and she reacted badly. It sounds cruel but I think it's part of the reason she is so good with the kids. The majority of the time we have either the dog or Aila with us in the house but sometimes they will bugger off themselves. One day I came into the livingroom to see Aila with Jet's back leg up. She found it hilarious and Jet was just standing there like "help". Aila got a telling off and Jet got a treat! I think as long as you are observant, kids and animals will mix fine. We give Jet some time out regularly because Aila is 100mph so we tell her to leave Jet alone for a while. They do love each other though.

IMG-20190814-WA0002.thumb.jpeg.3aa10cb43ecbd1be70633b8b84da5e10.jpeg

What kind of dog is Jet? A mix of some sort I’m thinking? Looks like their might be a bit of Border Terrier in there going by the face?

What kind of dog is Jet? A mix of some sort I’m thinking? Looks like their might be a bit of Border Terrier in there going by the face?
Close! She's half Irish terrier, half Patterdale terrier and half moron. Not keen on other dogs but she really is great with people. The amount of times she whacks her head off objects is hilarious.

Close! She's half Irish terrier, half Patterdale terrier and half moron. Not keen on other dogs but she really is great with people. The amount of times she whacks her head off objects is hilarious.

Knew it was a Patterdale as my parents have had 2 Patterdale/jack Russell crosses over the years, one was even called Jet!

We’ve had our cat for 5 years (she’s a Bengal) and the baby for two weeks.
Cats nose has certainly been put out of joint by the new arrival. She’s had a sniff around the baby and hasn’t shown much interest in her as of yet. Makes herself scarce when the crying starts.

5 minutes ago, Honest Saints Fan said:

Fraser started crawling yesterday. He's a toucher. Nothing is safe. Catherine was the opposite so the house is now having to be baby-proofed.

Once they start moving it's a whole new ball game. Even when all they do is roll it can cause problems.

8 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

My wee boy now calls me Daddy rather than Dada and it’s the first word he says with a Scottish accent.

My wee one is pretty west Scotland non Ned but when she says seven or eleven she’s pure Golspie!

Fraser started crawling yesterday. He's a toucher. Nothing is safe. Catherine was the opposite so the house is now having to be baby-proofed.
Jamie is like Fraser. God help you. He's running now and in every cupboard. Found a dummy missing for two weeks in my tool bag which is in utility room behind the airers, no idea how and when
If anything like Jamie he will go mad when cupboards are baby proofed
It's also going to leave you wondering if you had him first would you be thinking something was wrong with Catherine as she never bothered with half of it. We do with Alex all the time. chalk and cheese kids